Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    What if the members of a non-white fraternity had thrown a party at which they played rap music containing obscene slurs against whites, along with the wholesome and delightful calls for killing police and raping women that are common in that music? Should the university discipline them too? I know how much soi-disant liberals detest the First Amendment, but some of us had imagined that people did not waive their freedom of speech by enrolling in a state university.

    It's ironic what "liberal" has come to mean--nasty, intolerant, little prigs. Forty years ago, Jewish lawyers who were real liberals fought hard for the right of a bunch of Nazi goofballs to parade, in full regalia, through a town they picked exactly because many of its residents were Jewish survivors of Nazi concentration camps.
    I'm a liberal and do not support the expulsion of the idiot racists for being idiot racists (I'm fine with the fraternity being disbanded). ACLU is generally considered liberal and they're already on record defending free speech rights of idiot racists in cases like this. Boren was a democrat in office, but hardly a liberal, and he's the one who decided to expel the students. Maybe you should engage with liberals on this thread who have supported them being expelled instead of swinging at straw men.

  2. #152
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except you're never going to find promotion in the limited way you are asking. People hide things that will get them in trouble. Organizations are generally very effective at it. That's why the pattern of actual behavior is significant/telling.

    A national group promoting racism is a pretty serious accusation. If there's evidence that they've promoted racism, I'd like to see it. So far, nothing.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #153
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I sang songs while I was a Greek. One of them talked about getting drunk and ****ing the boyfriend of a Kappa Kappa Gamma, who was our "enemy sorority". It wasn't in our national songbook. It was written by a sister in my chapter and passed down through the years. My national couldn't take the heat for that.
    ONE chapter, ONE group of girls within that chapter, of course it couldn't be applied nationally. There's no pattern there as there is here with SAE.

  4. #154
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A national group promoting racism is a pretty serious accusation. If there's evidence that they've promoted racism, I'd like to see it. So far, nothing.
    Meh, you're looking for an excuse to say it's not a duck, even though it walks and quacks like one. The pattern of behavior by several chapters within the org are pretty clear. The national has never owned up to it. It would however be interesting to see if they have any but a token black membership.

  5. #155
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    ONE chapter, ONE group of girls within that chapter, of course it couldn't be applied nationally. There's no pattern there as there is here with SAE.
    That doesn't matter. In order to accuse these people of promoting racism, you have to have evidence.

    Head Quarters Staff - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

    Where is it? No, a song that some kid in one of their chapters may have written is not evidence that the national organization promotes racism.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #156
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Private venue lacking anyone to harass, threaten or humiliate. Fully protected by the 1st which trumps any policy set by the public university.
    Do you not think that off campus conduct created a hostile on campus environment?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  7. #157
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Meh, you're looking for an excuse to say it's not a duck, even though it walks and quacks like one. The pattern of behavior by several chapters within the org are pretty clear. The national has never owned up to it. It would however be interesting to see if they have any but a token black membership.
    Wow, okay, never mind. I'll back out of this discussion. I don't make accusations against a group of people without evidence.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #158
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I sang songs while I was a Greek.
    Great, did you sing about lynching niggers too? This obsession you have with making every issue about your life really is getting cliché. Your catholic comparison failed, your appeal to your life experiences failed. If your sorority had a demonstrated history of various chapters engaging in slutty behavior, then I'd be consistent and tell you that you were a member of an organization that promotes being slutty in a way not visible to the public. However if your point is to show some similarity between what happened here and what is happening with SAE, I'd counter that this isn't about a single chapter is it? This issue involves chapters related only by name in various states doing the same thing. So again, what is the cause? People being racist when they get with the wrong people? Nonsense. This was acceptable behavior for SAE members across various states in presumably unrelated fraternities.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #159
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Great, did you sing about lynching niggers too? This obsession you have with making every issue about your life really is getting cliché. Your catholic comparison failed, your appeal to your life experiences failed. If your sorority had a demonstrated history of various chapters engaging in slutty behavior, then I'd be consistent and tell you that you were a member of an organization that promotes being slutty in a way not visible to the public. However if your point is to show some similarity between what happened here and what is happening with SAE, I'd counter that this isn't about a single chapter is it? This issue involves chapters related only by name in various states doing the same thing. So again, what is the cause? People being racist when they get with the wrong people? Nonsense. This was acceptable behavior for SAE members across various states in presumably unrelated fraternities.
    Let me know when you have proof that there is racism in the national organization, and evidence of which of these people is promoting racism.

    Head Quarters Staff - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

    The Catholic comparison wasn't stupid. Nor were any of the others I gave that you ignored. You can't use a commonality as evidence of a large scale issue. In order to tie a national group to the actions of individual members, and claim that the national group promotes the behavior of its individual members, you have to demonstrate the promotion of the behavior. You can't. But it doesn't stop you from making slanderous posts.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #160
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The Catholic comparison wasn't stupid. Nor were any of the others I gave that you ignored. You can't use a commonality as evidence of a large scale issue. In order to tie a national group to the actions of individual members, and claim that the national group promotes the behavior of its individual members, you have to demonstrate the promotion of the behavior. You can't. But it doesn't stop you from making slanderous posts.
    These weren't actions by individual members. These activities were organized by the fraternities. The chanting was accepted behavior within the fraternity. The terrorizing of non-white students was accepted behavior in the other chapters. Again, you're ignoring the obvious so that you can preserve your own pristine memories of college life.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-10-15 at 05:30 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •