Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And their dates aren't strangers, which is what you claimed.

    Strangers are people on a public bus. This wasn't a public bus.
    So they were idiots and racists who sang this chant in front of their dates who were NOT total strangers. That's totally different, and I can see why you made a point of correcting me! You win the internets!

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I wonder what the motivation was of the person who surreptitiously recorded this idiocy and made it public
    Serving the greater public good I would guess. Hopefully they will be honored for their service.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #103
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So they were idiots and racists who sang this chant in front of their dates who were NOT total strangers. That's totally different, and I can see why you made a point of correcting me! You win the internets!
    I make a point of correcting posts that are incorrect, as yours was.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #104
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You keep talking about returning to the University. Do you know they want to return? I don't. I'm a First Amendment fan, and okay, you don't see what I do. To you First Amendment violations don't seem to be a big deal. They are to me - from a non-political standpoint.
    As I said a couple of pages back, I doubt they would want to return. I was only listing potential outcomes of a first amendment lawsuit. I don't understand why you think you're more of a first amendment fan.

    The university can ban any Greek from its campus. And SAE didn't "basically disown" them, they removed their charter. National Greeks get charters removed. Universities order local chapters of Greeks off campus. This isn't an isolated instance. And if the school owned the house, the school can remove the fraternity from the house at any time.
    Yeah, that's what I meant by "basically disowned" - but this is a clearer explanation. The student themselves haven't been "disowned" - it's the charter that is gone. The students have only been suspended (for now). But the main point stands.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't ask you that question. I didn't post about that question. You said the other people on the bus were "(basically) strangers". They weren't. They were their dates. That's what I was posting about to you.
    Maybe it would be clearer if you quoted the right post? Yeah, I think it would clear things up. Besides, I addressed your question anyway. I'll quote myself: "I also said the dates were "(basically) strangers." If you want to take issue with that, I'll amend it to say, "non-members of the fraternity."

    The point being there were people on that bus who as non-members of the fraternity were, IMO, less likely than fellow fraternity members to get a chuckle out of a racist chant. If you think that's a false assumption, that's fine. I don't really care to debate that irrelevant point. Suffice it to say they were idiots and racists, which is a nice combination I think....

  6. #106
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I like how conservatives always take a position that, if not tacitly supporting racists, certainly oppose any steps to criticize, denounce or punish racists.
    And where in this thread is any conservative doing that? Or is that just your strawman effigy of conservatives you're referring to?

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I make a point of correcting posts that are incorrect, as yours was.
    Good catch. Glad we cleared up completely inane point.

  8. #108
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    As I said a couple of pages back, I doubt they would want to return. I was only listing potential outcomes of a first amendment lawsuit. I don't understand why you think you're more of a first amendment fan.


    Yeah, that's what I meant by "basically disowned" - but this is a clearer explanation. The student themselves haven't been "disowned" - it's the charter that is gone. The students have only been suspended (for now). But the main point stands.
    Two of the students were expelled today.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #109
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Maybe it would be clearer if you quoted the right post? Yeah, I think it would clear things up. Besides, I addressed your question anyway. I'll quote myself: "I also said the dates were "(basically) strangers." If you want to take issue with that, I'll amend it to say, "non-members of the fraternity."

    The point being there were people on that bus who as non-members of the fraternity were, IMO, less likely than fellow fraternity members to get a chuckle out of a racist chant. If you think that's a false assumption, that's fine. I don't really care to debate that irrelevant point. Suffice it to say they were idiots and racists, which is a nice combination I think....
    So you agree that they weren't strangers. Thank you.

    They're idiots. And racists. Who in this thread is saying something different?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So you agree that they weren't strangers. Thank you.

    They're idiots. And racists. Who in this thread is saying something different?
    You really crack me up sometimes.

    duty_calls.png

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •