Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #91
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    There was a woman clearly pictured in the video. Right side, aisle seat, about one row up from whoever took the video. And it's been reported this was on "Date Night." Freeze frame picture of woman, and further commentary here.
    And you know she was a stranger how exactly?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #92
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Sure it does... If they were to sue the U for a first amendment violation, they would be asking the court for some sort of action in response to a wrongful expulsion - to be allowed to return to the University or to be reimbursed for time/money lost due to the expulsion. You said earlier that one of the reasons they might sue is money - well that's all the money that they'd be entitled to.

    The university did not remove the fraternity charter, the SAE organization basically disowned them, and that's what enabled the University to kick them out. Had SAE not taken that action, these guys would likely still be living in their frat house.
    You keep talking about returning to the University. Do you know they want to return? I don't. I'm a First Amendment fan, and okay, you don't see what I do. To you First Amendment violations don't seem to be a big deal. They are to me - from a non-political standpoint.

    The university can ban any Greek from its campus. And SAE didn't "basically disown" them, they removed their charter. National Greeks get charters removed. Universities order local chapters of Greeks off campus. This isn't an isolated instance. And if the school owned the house, the school can remove the fraternity from the house at any time.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You know who else was on that bus? The university is trying to find out who took the video and who uploaded it to YouTube. Who were all of the non-members with recording devices, and how do you know they were all strangers?
    Sometimes I think you just like to argue. This was a group of guys in formal wear on their way to a party on a chartered bus with THEIR DATES. There is a woman clearly pictured in the video. It even looks like she's got out her cell phone aka video recording device. She's not a fraternity member. I see no reason to assume they're all long time girlfriends and known by the fraternity to be sympathetic to blatant and casual racism. Obviously someone on the bus was NOT comfortable with it - hence the release of the video - which is also prima facie evidence of the idiocy of the brothers who managed to get their charter revoked and kicked out of their house, two of them expelled so far, over singing a racist chant with devices recording it all for posterity.

    So, racists AND idiots seems to be a fairly obvious description of all those singing that chant. Although to be fair, "racist idiot" is redundant, so if that's your point, I agree.

  4. #94
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,387

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    This crap wasn't racist, it was bigoted and they should suffer the consequences.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well if they are spewing crap like that to non members, screw em
    Well, I'd say screw em whether it was to members or non-members, but it's especially stupid to fly your racist flag on a bus full of fraternity members and their dates.

  6. #96
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Well, I'd say screw em whether it was to members or non-members, but it's especially stupid to fly your racist flag on a bus full of fraternity members and their dates.
    I am not a big fan of sneaky little rats who play gotcha games myself. Like the butt hurt girlie man who surreptitiously recorded Romney while working as a caterer. But i agree with you as to the stupidity here



  7. #97
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Sometimes I think you just like to argue. This was a group of guys in formal wear on their way to a party on a chartered bus with THEIR DATES. There is a woman clearly pictured in the video. It even looks like she's got out her cell phone aka video recording device. She's not a fraternity member. I see no reason to assume they're all long time girlfriends and known by the fraternity to be sympathetic to blatant and casual racism. Obviously someone on the bus was NOT comfortable with it - hence the release of the video - which is also prima facie evidence of the idiocy of the brothers who managed to get their charter revoked and kicked out of their house, two of them expelled so far, over singing a racist chant with devices recording it all for posterity.

    So, racists AND idiots seems to be a fairly obvious description of all those singing that chant. Although to be fair, "racist idiot" is redundant, so if that's your point, I agree.
    And their dates aren't strangers, which is what you claimed.

    Strangers are people on a public bus. This wasn't a public bus.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #98
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    This crap wasn't racist, it was bigoted and they should suffer the consequences.
    Huh? It was racist. Racists discriminate based on skin color. Bigots discriminate based on their beliefs.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And you know she was a stranger how exactly?
    I was asked this: "you know for a fact that the bus had people other than the frat members"

    The answer was yes, and the evidence was there was at least one woman pictured in the video, and I provided a link showing that and discussing it. I'm assuming of course that the FRATERNITY doesn't admit women as members which is a very safe assumption.

    I also said the dates were "(basically) strangers." If you want to take issue with that, I'll amend it to say, "non-members of the fraternity."

  10. #100
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I was asked this: "you know for a fact that the bus had people other than the frat members"

    The answer was yes, and the evidence was there was at least one woman pictured in the video, and I provided a link showing that and discussing it. I'm assuming of course that the FRATERNITY doesn't admit women as members which is a very safe assumption.

    I also said the dates were "(basically) strangers." If you want to take issue with that, I'll amend it to say, "non-members of the fraternity."
    I didn't ask you that question. I didn't post about that question. You said the other people on the bus were "(basically) strangers". They weren't. They were their dates. That's what I was posting about to you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •