Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

  1. #11
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well the principle is not about work that wasn't performed, but about personnel sent home only because Congress couldn't pass a budget. That is, it wasn't their fault. Not a lack of funds, but a lack of appropriations.
    I don't see how that justifies any sort of law suit. There are times in business when there aren't available funds for the people, and they have to take a few days off.

    This smells like the attitude of 'the government can't be stopped' BS attitude. Any surprise that this is being pushed by Obama and Holder's DOJ? That was their meme all before and through the shutdown, when in fact, it was barely a ripple to most ordinary Americans, except when the administration closed things they didn't need to close just to push the same point. Has everyone already forgotten all that BS of theirs?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I don't see how that justifies any sort of law suit. There are times in business when there aren't available funds for the people, and they have to take a few days off.

    This smells like the attitude of 'the government can't be stopped' BS attitude. Any surprise that this is being pushed by Obama and Holder's DOJ? That was their meme all before and through the shutdown, when in fact, it was barely a ripple to most ordinary Americans, except when the administration closed things they didn't need to close just to push the same point. Has everyone already forgotten all that BS of theirs?
    I wasn't claiming to know all, in fact I think Z has it right. I just didn't consider it divided into 2 groups, but did note that the working part seemed odd.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I wasn't claiming to know all, in fact I think Z has it right. I just didn't consider it divided into 2 groups, but did note that the working part seemed odd.
    American, I wasn't specifically criticizing you or your post, but just contributing my observations and thoughts to the thread.

    The bottom line is that both groups were paid in full, and yet, the ideologically driven legal geniuses at DOJ believe there's grounds for some sort of lawsuit. I'd like to see that suit summarily dismissed at the first hearing for lack of foundation.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    well, my personal opinion is.. they should be paid on time as any other employee actively performing work.... and they should have their day in court if they were not.
    the thing is, all these employees have been paid for that time.... the lawsuit is over financial hardships incurred because of the timing of that pay.( they were paid later, rather than on-time)

    it will be interesting to see if the govt fights this tooth and nail, or if they settle
    if they fight it and lose, it can get extremely costly, very quickly.. depending on the damages the judge allows to be sought. ( I get the feeling the judge will be going off of standards of FLSA and not including other damages)
    additional damages beyond those delineated in FLSA, well.. i don't know if they can be sought after or not, so it's hard to even comment on them or their potential costs.

    in any event, this is a new precedent, so it will be fun to watch unfold.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    American, I wasn't specifically criticizing you or your post, but just contributing my observations and thoughts to the thread.

    The bottom line is that both groups were paid in full, and yet, the ideologically driven legal geniuses at DOJ believe there's grounds for some sort of lawsuit. I'd like to see that suit summarily dismissed at the first hearing for lack of foundation.
    the DOJ is not the plaintiff, nor are they representing the plaintiffs... they will be representing the defendant ( the federal govt)
    the DOJ already filed a motion for dismissal, and it was rejected.

    a private law firm initiated the lawsuit.

  6. #16
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    the DOJ is not the plaintiff, nor are they representing the plaintiffs... they will be representing the defendant ( the federal govt)
    the DOJ already filed a motion for dismissal, and it was rejected.

    a private law firm initiated the lawsuit.
    Ahh. OK. Well, guess I was on the wrong side of that one. Thanks for setting me straight.

    So now I get to bitch about lawyers and frivolous law suits?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Ahh. OK. Well, guess I was on the wrong side of that one. Thanks for setting me straight.

    So now I get to bitch about lawyers and frivolous law suits?
    sure thing... nobody ever get tired of complaining about lawyers and frivolous lawsuits.

    for what it's worth, i think the govt is going to settle ... I don't think they want this sort of precedent to take hold...

  8. #18
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    sure thing... nobody ever get tired of complaining about lawyers and frivolous lawsuits.

    for what it's worth, i think the govt is going to settle ... I don't think they want this sort of precedent to take hold...
    But if you want to avoid precedence, wouldn't you want to take it to court and have it defeated?

    By settling, you are setting a precedence, one where if you are in similar circumstances, you can extract money from the government.

    So that'd then become a standard part of government shutdowns, not only the government paying for work not performed, but also paying a penalty on top of that for what appears to be no damage.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    But if you want to avoid precedence, wouldn't you want to take it to court and have it defeated?

    By settling, you are setting a precedence, one where if you are in similar circumstances, you can extract money from the government.

    So that'd then become a standard part of government shutdowns, not only the government paying for work not performed, but also paying a penalty on top of that for what appears to be no damage.
    defeating it in court would defeat the precedent, but defeating it is not guaranteed.... there is a chance they will lose.
    by settling, you admit no fault, and no precedent is set in case law.... future cases can't be guided by the case if there is no case law on the matter.

    settling now also gives the govt time and opportunity to tweak the laws on the specifics of the case, which might preclude future lawsuits in similar situations.

  10. #20
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    defeating it in court would defeat the precedent, but defeating it is not guaranteed.... there is a chance they will lose.
    by settling, you admit no fault, and no precedent is set in case law.... future cases can't be guided by the case if there is no case law on the matter.

    settling now also gives the govt time and opportunity to tweak the laws on the specifics of the case, which might preclude future lawsuits in similar situations.
    Yeah, OK. 'Cause this little bit of foolishness and mischief needs to be nipped in the bud, frankly.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •