Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

  1. #1
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,445
    Blog Entries
    12

    Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    The Justice Department is preparing to bring criminal corruption charges against Sen. Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, alleging he used his Senate office to push the business interests of a Democratic donor and friend in exchange for gifts.

    Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere' - CNN.com
    The guy has been vocal against Obama's actions regarding Iran and Cuba. ROTFLOL... Coincidence?

    Democrat Sen. Menenedez: Obama’s points on Iran come ‘straight out of Tehran’
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...me-straight-o/
    Senate Dem: Cuba trade rewards 'brutal behavior'
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-obama-on-cuba
    Last edited by zimmer; 03-07-15 at 06:41 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The guy has been vocal against Obama's actions regarding Iran and Cuba. ROTFLOL... Coincidence?
    Mornin Zimmer. It is something I have brought up in the other thread about it. How long would you say Menendez has been vocally opposing BO peep on Iran?

    When did this Investigation by Holder start taking place? This specific one as Menendez has had other ethical issue brought upon him before.

  3. #3
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,961
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Right, Menendez is might be getting charges pressed on him because the Obama Administration wants to censor him. Not because Menedez might have done something illegal...
    The GOP loves standards. They love standards so much, they got two of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Bob Menendez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    On August 27, 2006, two Republican state lawmakers filed an ethics complaint against Menendez, alleging he broke conflict-of-interest rules when he rented property out to a nonprofit agency that receives federal funds. Menendez helped the organization win designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center in 1998. That designation allowed the agency to receive additional federal grants.[100] Menendez allies noted that the organization in question, the North Hudson Community Action Corp., which provides social services and health care to the poor and was founded in 1960, had received federal funding for years before Menendez was in Congress, and receives its funding based on mathematical formulas.[101] Menendez maintains that he rented the property out below market-value because "he was supportive of its work".[102] The total rent collected over nine years was over $300,000.

    In September 2006, just a few weeks before the 2006 senate elections, the office of the US District Attorney, Republican Chris Christie, began investigating the rental deal with NHCAC, subpoenaing records from them. Some Democrats criticized the investigation, particularly the timing of the investigation and news leaks, as being politically motivated.[103]

    An effort to recall Senator Menendez was launched in early 2010 by a group of New Jersey citizens.[104] Although Article 1, Paragraph 2(b) of the New Jersey Constitution expressly authorizes such a recall,[105] state officials fought the effort in court.[106] On March 16, 2010, a State Appeals court ruled that the recall petition could go forward.[107] Menendez said he was surprised that a group claiming to be true to the Constitution is trying now, in his words, "to undermine it".[108] Menendez appealed the ruling.[109] Legal experts have debated the constitutionality of a state recall of a federal officeholder.[110][111] On November 18, 2010, the New Jersey Supreme Court found that the New Jersey provision violated the U.S. Constitution.[112]

    In 2010, The Wall Street Journal reported that Menendez had written to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke,[113] asking him to approve an acquisition that would rescue from the prospect of receivership a New Jersey bank, First Bank Americano, operated by Menendez contributors.[114] It was discovered that "eight of 15 directors, including the bank’s chairman and vice-chairman, have been contributors to Menendez or his political action committee."[115] Former federal bank regulator William K. Black called the letter "grotesquely inappropriate" and said that "the letter crossed an unofficial line by asking regulators to approve an application instead of simply asking that it be given consideration."[114] An aide to the senator said that his decision to write the letter was not influenced by political contributions. A highly critical report by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation found that the institution had engaged in unsafe or unsound banking practices, including operating without adequate supervision by its board of directors, an excessive level of delinquent or bad loans, inadequate earnings and insufficient coverage of its assets.[116][117][118][119]

    ...

    On December 12, 2012 it was reported that the Senator's office had an unpaid intern volunteering who had let his visitor visa expire and who was a registered sex offender. Immigration and Customs Enforcement had been aware of the man as early as October 2012 but according to the Associated Press, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) instructed federal agents not to arrest the man until after Election Day. Menendez denied knowing about the allegation of the directive to delay the arrest and only recently learned of the arrest. According to two federal officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case, the intern was arrested in front of his home in New Jersey on December 6, 2012.[132][133]

    It was reported on March 14, 2013, that a federal grand jury in Miami is investigating Menendez regarding his role in advocating for the business interests of ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen.[134][135] Menendez's efforts to push U.S. government officials to enforce a lucrative port security contract would benefit one of his major donors, Dr. Salomon E. Melgen, as well as Pedro Pablo Permuy, a former national security adviser and senior legislative aide to Mr. Menendez.[136] In 2012, Melgen's business had donated over $700,000 to Majority PAC, a political action committee supporting Democratic candidates; the PAC spent more than $582,000 on Menendez's behalf.[137]
    Seems like an ethical fellow.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #5
    Student
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    277

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The guy has been vocal against Obama's actions regarding Iran and Cuba. ROTFLOL... Coincidence?
    Yes, it is a coincidence. Sen. Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat, has been under investigation since at least 2013 and not for any other reason. Eric Holder is an honorable man and personally, I cannot envision him embroiled in a blood feud with someone who criticized Obama...if that were the case the list would be endless. There are many who disagree with Obama on Cuba, but there are more who agree with lifting the 50-year embargo against that island nation since the moratorium has not worked. It would be foolish for a Democratic president to try to lessen his Democratic base by trying to get rid of one of his own because of criticism...that is a vote he night need later down the road; that is the malevolent way the Republicans think. Being a political junkie and living in New Jersey, IMO, I believe Menendez to be corrupt. From what I've seen of politicians, Republican, and Democrat, the majority of them are in it for self-gain. Talking about crooks, Gawd, one should take a good look at the governor of the state, Chris Christie.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Yeah, he sure seems ethical. Seems to have the most problems starting in 2012. For the latest issues.

    Your 2014 Guide to the Scandals Surrounding Senator Bob Menendez.....


    New Jersey's reputation for political wrong-doing predates the Christie administration's futzing with bridge traffic. Last year, the politician under fire was Sen. Bob Menendez, accused deservedly and not of inappropriate behavior involving hookers, influence, and cash. On Thursday, new allegations against Menendez emerged.

    The details of the investigation are sketchy as outlined by NBC, but go something like this. William and Roberto Isaias of Ecuador were convicted by that country's government of embezzling millions of dollars from a bank that they ran as it collapsed. The two moved to the United States, but the country hasn't determined that the evidence of their guilt is substantial enough to warrant extradition back to Ecuador. Menendez has apparently written to the State Department and Department of Homeland Security on the brothers' behalf, arguing that they'd been targeted for political reasons. Relatives of the brothers gave $10,000 to Menendez and $100,000 to the Democratic party in 2012 but there's no public evidence that a quid pro quo exists.

    The existing scandal That's different than the on-going investigation into a Florida ophthalmologist. At the beginning of 2013, news of an investigation into Menendez's relationship with Salomon Melgen broke. Melegen is under investigation by the government for allegedly overbilling Medicare to the tune of $8.9 million. Menendez intervened on his behalf as that investigation unfolded. The relationship between the two goes beyond that. When Melgen decided to get into the port security business in the Dominican Republic, Menendez allegedly intervened to prevent Homeland Security from giving the country scanners that could be used to screen shipping containers arriving on the island which would have hurt Melgen's business selling such devices to the Dominican government. As details of the relationship between the two emerged, Menendez reimbursed Melgen for flights to the Dominican Republic that the doctor had paid for.....snip~

    Your 2014 Guide to the Scandals Surrounding Senator Bob Menendez

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    Yes, it is a coincidence. Sen. Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat, has been under investigation since at least 2013 and not for any other reason. Eric Holder is an honorable man and personally, I cannot envision him embroiled in a blood feud with someone who criticized Obama...if that were the case the list would be endless. There are many who disagree with Obama on Cuba, but there are more who agree with lifting the 50-year embargo against that island nation since the moratorium has not worked. It would be foolish for a Democratic president to try to lessen his Democratic base by trying to get rid of one of his own because of criticism...that is a vote he night need later down the road; that is the malevolent way the Republicans think. Being a political junkie and living in New Jersey, IMO, I believe Menendez to be corrupt. From what I've seen of politicians, Republican, and Democrat, the majority of them are in it for self-gain. Talking about crooks, Gawd, one should take a good look at the governor of the state, Chris Christie.



    Mornin Atiya. Quite a coincydincy, huh?

    The debunked attack. Speaking of those trips to the Dominican! The Daily Caller broke a story last year that Menendez had engaged in a little extracurricular activity while overseas, of the kind that involves giving money to prostitutes. But the women that spoke with the Daily Caller's Matt Boyle recanted their stories, saying they'd been paid to claim they slept with the senator. In fact, numerous outlets passed on the story before Boyle picked it up, considering the sources too unreliable.

    The peripheral happenings - The Boyle story came out shortly before Menendez was handily reelected to the Senate in 2012. Right after Election Day, federal agents arrested an 18-year-old Peruvian who worked as an intern in Menendez' office for immigration violations. (He was also a registered sex offender.) The Department of Homeland Security apparently asked that the arrest be delayed until after the election, but that wasn't known to Menendez's staff.....snip~

    Your 2014 Guide to the Scandals Surrounding Senator Bob Menendez

  8. #8
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,445
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    Yes, it is a coincidence. Sen. Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat, has been under investigation since at least 2013 and not for any other reason. Eric Holder is an honorable man and personally, I cannot envision him embroiled in a blood feud with someone who criticized Obama...if that were the case the list would be endless. There are many who disagree with Obama on Cuba, but there are more who agree with lifting the 50-year embargo against that island nation since the moratorium has not worked. It would be foolish for a Democratic president to try to lessen his Democratic base by trying to get rid of one of his own because of criticism...that is a vote he night need later down the road; that is the malevolent way the Republicans think. Being a political junkie and living in New Jersey, IMO, I believe Menendez to be corrupt. From what I've seen of politicians, Republican, and Democrat, the majority of them are in it for self-gain. Talking about crooks, Gawd, one should take a good look at the governor of the state, Chris Christie.
    Holder isn't honorable. He just showed how dishonorable he is with the latest from Ferguson.

    He's a product of the J. Wright School of Racial Tension.

    I'm simply saying it's odd timing... and seeing as Demokrats have gotten away with all manner of corruption... makes it even odder.

    Frankly we should look at all crooks... all... and fire their asses out the door.

    I wonder... will Harry Reid be next? Not likely.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    Right, Menendez is might be getting charges pressed on him because the Obama Administration wants to censor him. Not because Menedez might have done something illegal...
    Its not like the executive would target people for having different political views, is it?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sen. Bob Menendez: 'I am not going anywhere'

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The guy has been vocal against Obama's actions regarding Iran and Cuba. ROTFLOL... Coincidence?
    No. No coincidence!In fact I was wondering how he was able to speak freely the way he did, given this BHO Administration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •