Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 227

Thread: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex marria

  1. #141
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,691

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    ROTFLOL... how long until this "right" is bestowed on US citizens?

    Oughta be a field day for divorce lawyers.

    Will it be limited to only homosexuals? LOL...
    I take it you wore overalls and a straw hat to your wedding?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #142
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,653

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Really? Demonizing? That is the word you're going to use to describe this conversation?

    You don't support same sex marriage. You support same sex civil unions.


    yes, demonize, I am more for libertry and the rights of people to do what they want, including marry whomever they want than you. yet, you treat meas if I am not for marriage equality.

    Please, you are smart enough to read my posts, which means you are simply being dishonest. don't be that guy.


    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I'm not sure what you think I am advocating that any of this would be an issue. if you kept ALL the things and apply it to a "Civil union" for all, you'd get the same thing.

    And, yes, if this isn't possible, fight the long fight for gay marriage.


    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    The only absurdity here is your rebuttal. I will re-state my position. I support marriage equality and I don't care who you ****, do "bolivian marching powder" with, or marry. It's none of my business.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Don't care, people should be able to marry as many people of any sex they want.

    Well, I think as we move away from this, the ultimate goal is to get them out of the business all together,. gay marriage or not,.


    I support marriage equality, period.



    Not only do I support the same thing for everyone, I also support polygamy if that's your scene.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #143
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    That's a good idea. As with all stupid progressive policies it will be necessary for the progressives to come up with a new word for marriage once they have fully debased the it. At that point they will find a different name for "marriage" in a hope of rebranding it and the churches can get the word "marriage" back.
    Funny, I didnt see the churches going out of their way to prevent all those others debasing marriage from getting married. You know, all the adulterers (remarrying), fornicators, domestic abusers, even convicted pedophiles or murders or rapists in jail....churches never had a problem allow them to use the word or institution of marriage (except the Catholics in some cases). No organized legislative battles and petitions against those things. Huh....just 'da geighs.' I guess only they are debasing marriage by wanting to declare their love and committment to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #144
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Funny, I didnt see the churches going out of their way to prevent all those others debasing marriage from getting married. You know, all the adulterers (remarrying), fornicators, domestic abusers, even convicted pedophiles or murders or rapists in jail....churches never had a problem allow them to use the word or institution of marriage (except the Catholics in some cases). No organized legislative battles and petitions against those things. Huh....just 'da geighs.' I guess only they are debasing marriage by wanting to declare their love and committment to each other.

    Well said! I was trying to figure out how getting more people able to marry was debasing it. Not like there's only so much of it to go around...

  5. #145
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,690

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Funny, I didnt see the churches going out of their way to prevent all those others debasing marriage from getting married. You know, all the adulterers (remarrying), fornicators, domestic abusers, even convicted pedophiles or murders or rapists in jail....churches never had a problem allow them to use the word or institution of marriage (except the Catholics in some cases). No organized legislative battles and petitions against those things. Huh....just 'da geighs.' I guess only they are debasing marriage by wanting to declare their love and committment to each other.
    Well, no, all of these stands are for drawing the line on this point and everything that follows it. As I am on record saying here many times, I don't have a specific objection to gay marriage. What I object to is the lazy, damaging way that gay marriage is being argued. While supporters claim that the argument is only about gay marriage, the truth is that if gay marriage wins on the current argument then there is no rational argument for limiting any kind of marriage.

    The problem was that gay marriage is not really defensible from any other line of argument, I always hoped they could find a compelling argument that wasn't as applicable to a woman and her cats as it was to two women.

    I have gone on record that I am all for abolishing all federal law involving marriage. Get the state out of the marriage business all together. I think that the perceived benefits from getting married built into the tax law have attracted a lot of couples to get marriage who never should have been married in the first place.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well, no, all of these stands are for drawing the line on this point and everything that follows it. As I am on record saying here many times, I don't have a specific objection to gay marriage. What I object to is the lazy, damaging way that gay marriage is being argued. While supporters claim that the argument is only about gay marriage, the truth is that if gay marriage wins on the current argument then there is no rational argument for limiting any kind of marriage.

    The problem was that gay marriage is not really defensible from any other line of argument, I always hoped they could find a compelling argument that wasn't as applicable to a woman and her cats as it was to two women.

    I have gone on record that I am all for abolishing all federal law involving marriage. Get the state out of the marriage business all together. I think that the perceived benefits from getting married built into the tax law have attracted a lot of couples to get marriage who never should have been married in the first place.
    I dont disagree with alot of that.

    I would not care at all if the govt got out of marriage but since I believe they can make a compelling case on its benefits to society, I wont bother fighting it.

    However while such a decision for gay marriage may open up marriage to others, most that I've seen would be fine with me...dont care, doesnt affect me. But the legal decision would have to be case by case for each group. And there would have to be a demographic willing to advocate and fight for it. That's not going to happen for those interested in incestuous marriage. for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,005

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    The only absurdity here is your rebuttal....
    You asked for a list of states that banned SSM. I provided it. 20 states, including some of the most populated ones in the US, outlawed all types of civil unions with the express purpose of preventing gay civil unions. Nothing absurd about that.


    I will re-state my position. I support marriage equality and I don't care who you ****, do "bolivian marching powder" with, or marry. It's none of my business.
    But you do want to stop people from demanding equal treatment under the law? How strange.


    I am also a strong belliever in this government is too large, to convoluted, and too complicated. One such way of simplification it to remove who the government can and can't say who is married, and call EVERYONE a civil union.
    1) The evidence is clear that many conservatives will not tolerate the semantic change you propose.
    2) I have seen absolutely no sign that anyone, other than a tiny handful of libertarians and anti-SSM advocates who have given up, want to strip marriage of its legal status.

    How many people want to strip all spouses of the ability to make medical decisions for an incapacitated partner?

    How many people want to eliminate the clauses in estate law, that allow a spouse to receive an estate without taxation?

    Do we want to trash all the laws relating to child custody?

    We should also note that on some level, this is not about the government "telling you what to do." The government isn't telling you that you must get married, or must get divorced. It's acting as a neutral arbitrator, and enforcing the functions that we as a society want associated with marriage.

    Or, think of it another way. Let's say we eliminate every legal aspect to marriage. People can marry whoever they want. Now, instead of signing a single legal document to formalize the marriage, you need to...
    Write / rewrite both of your wills
    Sign health care proxies for each other
    Sign binding contracts that determine how child custody will be handled
    Sign pre-nuptial agreements
    Write contracts dividing your existing property during the marriage
    Gnash your teeth when you realize your spouse will have to pay estate taxes for whatever said spouse inherits
    Lose out on Social Security or military survivor benefits
    Lose out on spousal eligibility for employer-provided health care

    Wow. Yeah, I can see how removing the legal aspects of marriage will make things simpler for everyone.


    now you have "civil unions". states CANNOT deny ones partner from seeing thier loved ones as it would then violate the 14th amendment.
    They certainly tried.

    It's also not about just seeing a loved one. It's about actually making decisions about their medical care, and the state cannot deal with such a critical issue in a casual or informal manner.


    It's really quite simple, and this fascist style "BELEIEVE AS WE 100% or even though you support gay marriage, you are a homophobe bigot!!!!!" nonsense is the same intolerant crap, you are suppoosedly against.
    Sorry, but that really doesn't fly.

    1) You're basically suggesting a semantic change. That has fooled no one.
    2) You're suggesting that marriage have no legal consequences whatsoever. That also won't work.
    3) SSM is a civil rights issue, and in this respect is absolutely no different than interracial marriage -- something that lots of people screeched about when it was in the process of legalization.
    4) We don't allow employers, hospitals or other organizations to unilaterally approve or disapprove of anyone's marriage prior to granting benefits or legal rights.
    5) There is ultimately no justification for treating homosexuals like second-class citizens, and denying them the same rights and privileges as anyone else -- right down to the name of an institution.
    6) Removing all legal aspects and consequences from marriage, especially if you're doing it in order to allegedly make people accept SSM, is throwing the baby out with the bath-water.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,005

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I've been advocating this for years, I am a libertarian. who you marry is none of my business....
    Good news! If you want to have a legally meaningless marriage, you can do that right now. You can call it a marriage, or a commitment ceremony, or a left nostril inhalation sharing arrangment, whatever the **** you please. No one and nothing can stop you, and no one can force you to enter into a legally binding marriage.

    That also means you can stop bitching about other people who do choose to have legally binding marriages, because the category never had to apply to you in the first place.

    Ain't America great?

  9. #149
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-sex ma

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Of course it is. Getting married, unlike having a child or assuming responsibility for a sick or elderly relative, does not impact upon your financial wellbeing...well, it does, but in the opposite direction, likely making your finances easier, not more difficult. There is no economic argument for giving away money to newlyweds, it's a political gesture, saying we approve of your life-choice, we want people to marry. Those are ideological considerations, even when those benefits are rolled out to same-sex couples. Hence fairness is not a consideration and such tax breaks are wholly unfair on those who are single, or in a domestic relationship that isn't recognised as 'marriage'.
    Except for the fact that only about half of the people that see any difference in their taxes due to marriage benefit from them. Most get no significant benefit.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #150
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    They look like a new boy band... but it's the world's first THREE-WAY same-se...

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    It should be removed. taxes should not change based on who you shack up with.
    Too bad. Don't like it, push to get your reps to change it. I wouldn't count on it happening though.

    Of course the fact that you think marriage is about "shacking up" doesn't speak well for your argument.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •