Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 202

Thread: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

  1. #51
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Out of curiosity, when has he done that? I don't recall him ignoring the wage issue. I don't think he's even made a statement yet on the new numbers.
    On this latest report, not yet so far as I can tell. But, it would be extremely foolish for you to suggest Obama has not tried in the past, many times over, to take credit for what can be construed as a favorable economic report.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  2. #52
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,377

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    labor participation rate only counts those 16 to 65
    are you talking Europe? Because in the U., Canada, and Mexico, there's no upper limit.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  3. #53
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    Hmmm Something isnt right here. Dont we have a total population of about 320,000,000 counting everyone?
    So 95,000,000 people (of illegible work age) outside the labor force puts it somewhere around 30% right of total population. I do enjoy a good fairy tale though.

    Attachment 67181474
    Children and institutionalized people aren't included as part of the potential labor force. Also, as our population grows, it's only to be expected that the raw number of people who aren't working will increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #54
    Advisor Rearden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    347

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    You know they will never let the standard of living go up but will take it from somewhere else. That would be like giving people a non taxable raise. We cant have that.

    Q4 spending GDP.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Lower gas prices will cause job cuts in the energy sector, but because lower gas prices mean more money in the pockets of consumers that is good for the rest of our economy.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,022

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    labor participation rate only counts those 16 to 65....
    Incorrect. It's 16 and older. People over 65 certainly count, which is why LFPR is more comprehensive a measure than unemployment figures.

    http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000


    I will again point out that if baby boomer early retirement was the major cause of the rate drop then in 2011 when the baby boomers aged out of the rate calculation the rate would start to flatten out but it hasnt.
    And you will be reminded again that you are wrong.

    Again, Boomers are currently aged 51 to 69, and the oldest cohort is the smallest. Roughly 2/3 have not yet hit 65. Half are not eligible for Social Security yet. They probably won't be mostly out of the workforce until 2034.


  6. #56
    Advisor Rearden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    347

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    I dont believe I said they were but quoted total population at approximately 320,000,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Children and institutionalized people aren't included as part of the potential labor force. Also, as our population grows, it's only to be expected that the raw number of people who aren't working will increase.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,899

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it has everything to do with the unemployment rate though. these people aren't counted in the unemployment rate. so it lowers the unemployment rate whenever they stop actively looking for work making it seem way better than what it was.

    It is a total distortion of the actual unemployment rate. the U6 number is way better number to look at because it includes all of the people not just some cherry picked rosy scenario in order to gain political points.
    But if someone isn't actively looking for work then how can they be considered part of the labor force?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #58
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    if they dont have to work who is supporting them? single adult households are sky rocketing so its not spouses/significant others. Its the government that is subsidizing their living and that is a bad thing.
    I'm no supporter of welfare, but most of those people aren't on welfare.

    The number of rich people increases every year, and the number of retired people also increases. Also the current trend today is for young folks to stay in their parents households longer. And more families are becoming single income earner families so that the spouse doesn't have to work outside the home.

    Back in the good ole days, it was expected that the wife would stay at home and be a homemaker and a good mom. Republicans used to believe in family values, obviously they no longer believe in family values.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Exactly what have republicans done to lower the unemployment rate?

    I don't think that we should be thanking anyone other than the American economy.
    some minor credit goes to the congress for lawsuits and other things that have stopped some of Obama's more destructive items from going through.
    otherwise things would be worse.

    the American economy though has once again shown it's strength of muscle. however I think also companies are profiting but not needing to expand as much
    as they did before 2008. they are running slimmer and leaner and building up huge reserves I think in case something like that would happen again.

  10. #60
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So, the headline is 295,000 more Americans employed.

    But that is the establishment data and nothing to do with the U-3 unemployment rate...which dropped to 5.5%.

    However, looking at the household data - which IS what is used for the official U-3 unemployment rate - only 176,000 more Americans are employed.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.a.htm

    And if you look further, on Table A-9, only 96,000 more Americans are employed.

    Plus, if you look at the Full time and Part time workers...only 48,000 more Americans are employed.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t09.htm


    With such lousy household survey numbers, how did the official unemployment rate drop?

    Same reason as usual over the last few years, large numbers of people left the work force...178,000; and the participation rate dropped to 62.8%.


    ALWAYS look beyond the headlines.
    I always look forward you your jobs report analysis. You are most capable of finding the black lining in every white cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •