Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 202

Thread: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

  1. #11
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    The excuse of the baby boomer retirement has passed since a big chunk of baby boomers are older than 65...
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=baby+boomers


    BB years : 1946 through 1964 => 18 years

    2015 - 65 = 1950

    It seems that the first four out of 18 years has hit 65.
    It seems that three quarters of the years available to be born a baby boomer could leave you less than 65.



    http://www.census.gov/prod/2014pubs/p25-1141.pdf
    The baby boomersbegan turning 65 in 2011 and are now driving growthat the older ages of the population. By 2029, when allof the baby boomers will be 65 years and over, morethan 20 percent of the total U.S. population will be overthe age of 65.


    I may be wrong.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Still just juking the stats
    Good luck with that in 2016. Complaining that baby boomers are retiring, students are staying in school, and more women are staying home to raise young children won't do much to convince voters to turn against policies that have brought the economy back from the brink of the disaster it was nearly pushed into by deregulation of the financial sector.

    The relatively low LFPR, combined with a growing belief among economists that the natural unemployment rate (NAIRU) in the US may now be as low as 4%, will allow the Fed to hold off on raising interest rates. We are now six years into a twenty-year expansion if we can avoid screwing things up.

  3. #13
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Maybe it's the Republican controlled Congress that we should be thanking in addition to President Obama.
    Exactly what have republicans done to lower the unemployment rate?

    I don't think that we should be thanking anyone other than the American economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,580

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=baby+boomers


    BB years : 1946 through 1964 => 18 years

    2015 - 65 = 1950

    It seems that the first four out of 18 years has hit 65.
    It seems that three quarters of the years available to be born a baby boomer could leave you less than 65.



    http://www.census.gov/prod/2014pubs/p25-1141.pdf
    The baby boomersbegan turning 65 in 2011 and are now driving growthat the older ages of the population. By 2029, when allof the baby boomers will be 65 years and over, morethan 20 percent of the total U.S. population will be overthe age of 65.


    If you look at the actual birth rate the drop off of birth rate is in 1959 with a lesser drop in 1949 yet there is no correlation of that in the labor participation rate which continues to drop at a steady rate. If baby boomers were the cause you would see the labor participation rate start to level off in 2011 but that is not the case.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    i forgot that it was jobs report Friday.

    let the celebrating begin!

    or

    DEBUNK-O-RAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111ONEONEONEONEONE


  6. #16
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    It can, it improved a lot when Clinton was president.

    The fact is that the unemployment rate can give a false picture because of the strict definition of it. People who were so discouraged they have stopped looking for work make the unemployment number look good but they haven't rejoined the workforce as the labor participation rate shows.



    This pretty much tells the whole story. The labor participation rate should actually be higher now with many more single parent households but it continues to drop. The excuse of the baby boomer retirement has passed since a big chunk of baby boomers are older than 65 and they would not be included in the rate working or not.
    The only thing that the lfpr proves is that fewer Americans are having to work. I don't know that that's a bad thing. I wish I didn't have to work. It has nothing to do with the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,580

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Good luck with that in 2016. Complaining that baby boomers are retiring, students are staying in school, and more women are staying home to raise young children won't do much to convince voters to turn against policies that have brought the economy back from the brink of the disaster it was nearly pushed into by deregulation of the financial sector.

    The relatively low LFPR, combined with a growing belief among economists that the natural unemployment rate (NAIRU) in the US may now be as low as 4%, will allow the Fed to hold off on raising interest rates. We are now six years into a twenty-year expansion … if we can avoid screwing things up.
    People dont vote on numbers, the unemployment rate could be 0.1% but if a guy has been out of work the past 8 years he not going to think that those policies are working. The fact is there are a lot of people out of the workforce who would rather be in it and that 5.5% means jack **** to them.

  8. #18
    Advisor Rearden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    347

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Hmmm Something isnt right here. Dont we have a total population of about 320,000,000 counting everyone?
    So 95,000,000 people (of illegible work age) outside the labor force puts it somewhere around 30% right of total population. I do enjoy a good fairy tale though.

    participation rate sept 2014.jpg

  9. #19
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,580

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The only thing that the lfpr proves is that fewer Americans are having to work. I don't know that that's a bad thing. I wish I didn't have to work. It has nothing to do with the economy.
    if they dont have to work who is supporting them? single adult households are sky rocketing so its not spouses/significant others. Its the government that is subsidizing their living and that is a bad thing.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Payrolls Climb More Than Forecast, U.S. Jobless Rate at 5.5%

    So, the headline is 295,000 more Americans employed.

    But that is the establishment data and nothing to do with the U-3 unemployment rate...which dropped to 5.5%.

    However, looking at the household data - which IS what is used for the official U-3 unemployment rate - only 176,000 more Americans are employed.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.a.htm

    And if you look further, on Table A-9, only 96,000 more Americans are employed.

    Plus, if you look at the Full time and Part time workers...only 48,000 more Americans are employed.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t09.htm


    With such lousy household survey numbers, how did the official unemployment rate drop?

    Same reason as usual over the last few years, large numbers of people left the work force...178,000; and the participation rate dropped to 62.8%.


    ALWAYS look beyond the headlines.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •