Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 411

Thread: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

  1. #251
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I never said they came from God. I said they came from our creator, which could just be nature.



    Just because you have a right, doesn't mean it is impossible for a government to infringe on it.
    There are no such things as universal rights globally. Rights vary by nation because government create them.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    There are no such things as universal rights globally. Rights vary by nation because government create them.
    So government can take them away at will, correct? All of them and any of them. For any reason.

  3. #253
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    So government can take them away at will, correct? All of them and any of them. For any reason.
    It certainly is capable of that. There are any number of historical examples. Ultimately, rights are just a collective agreement that only function when the people with the firepower agree to them.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    I made a claim and provided a link that explains with factual evidence why I make that claim. Again I am not going to spoon feed people research. If you do not like or do not read the material I give that helps form my opinions then that is your problem not mine. You and others seem to think everything should be wrapped up into a convenient little chart or graph or a paragraph or two you can read in 5 minutes. Not everyone is ADD. Some people actually read books. It is the totality of evidence that points to my conclusions. I provided links to one such source I use. Like it...don't like it...I do not care but you cannot claim I am not supporting my argument. You can claim you don't like the way I support my argument but that is your problem not mine. You obviously didn't dismiss my claim because you took the time to post about it.
    You gave statistics and posted them as if they were fact.

    WHen asked to provide sources for those statistics, THEN you admitted they were your opinion. After getting rude and defensive.

    That is the objection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #255
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You gave statistics and posted them as if they were fact.

    WHen asked to provide sources for those statistics, THEN you admitted they were your opinion. After getting rude and defensive.

    That is the objection.
    I did not post statistics as facts. The poster I responded to made and inane comment about removing religion, abortion and marriage from political debate. I stated that would remove 90-95% of the reason Americans vote. That is hardly a hard statistic. It is a generality born from my research into American Political Science. If I were quoting a statistic I would have said 91.5% of the voters in the 20XX election voted based on XXXXX. That is a specific claim. What I stated was generality based on posters ridiculous notion that you can take religion et al out of politics.

    Feel free to object all you want but do not suggest that I do not back up what I say. He requested a link to source my statement. I provided one. I cannot control the fact that he or you didn't like the link. Object to the fact that I posted a general argument fine. It was an in kind response to the ridiculous general notion that you can somehow remove religion, marriage and abortion from politics.

  6. #256
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    So government can take them away at will, correct? All of them and any of them. For any reason.
    Absolutely. Look at the rights taken from gays and women taken in the Middle East. Every despotic regime in the world takes, or refuses to grant all sorts of rights we enjoy, or used to enjoy prior to Obama.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  7. #257
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Absolutely. Look at the rights taken from gays and women taken in the Middle East. Every despotic regime in the world takes, or refuses to grant all sorts of rights we enjoy, or used to enjoy prior to Obama.
    Which freedoms do we not enjoy anymore? Inquiring minds want to know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #258
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I support the right of states to govern themselves in every area that isn't in conflict with constitutionally mandated Federal responsibilities. I believe that the states have the right to outlaw the marriage of children or animals because there is no Federal mandate to regulate marriage. The lack of a Federal mandate gives them authority to regulate all marriage.

    It's also fine with me if the states deregulate marriage all together. I really don't care who marries who as long as children and animals are protected. Marriage doesn't define relationships, they are defined by honesty, trust, commitment and love. All this other **** is just a side show.
    Um, okay. I was responding to the idea that one can support both state rights (that discriminate against LGBT's) and LGBT rights, which are incompatible.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    I did not post statistics as facts. The poster I responded to made and inane comment about removing religion, abortion and marriage from political debate. I stated that would remove 90-95% of the reason Americans vote. That is hardly a hard statistic. It is a generality born from my research into American Political Science. If I were quoting a statistic I would have said 91.5% of the voters in the 20XX election voted based on XXXXX. That is a specific claim. What I stated was generality based on posters ridiculous notion that you can take religion et al out of politics.

    Feel free to object all you want but do not suggest that I do not back up what I say. He requested a link to source my statement. I provided one. I cannot control the fact that he or you didn't like the link. Object to the fact that I posted a general argument fine. It was an in kind response to the ridiculous general notion that you can somehow remove religion, marriage and abortion from politics.
    LOLOLOL

    Then you use a different dictionary from everyone else. And you provided sources that were only foundational. You drew your own conclusions and derived your 'statistics.' And posted them as fact.

    Just own it and move on. TB has, and I would have....I let it go until you tried to 'save face' with me later in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #260
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm not claiming a given. I'm pointing out two things which are facts

    1) Marriage is a fundamental right

    2) Carson has said he believes gays should have equal rights
    Marriage isn't a right anymore than healthcare is a right.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •