Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 411

Thread: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

  1. #221
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    I am not denying the factual aspect at all, I just don't think that it is relevant when we are talking about a specific doctor. Had we been talking about doctors saying or doing stupid things
    I would have brought up Howard Dean, just to balance the political aspect.


    You just brought him up.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Only have a half day of work tomorrow, maybe I'll try out that gay thing. See if I like it.

    You know full-well that once our prefrontal cortex is mature you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #223
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,072

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...yup, funny...I woke up today and made the same choice.
    you too!!!!!
    wow thats crazy

    how did you chose yours, was it fast, was it long and drawn out?
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  4. #224
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    We have a sex drive at birth. We learn about sex and how the urges interact with our world, and we never stop learning that until we die. Seriously? Did you just ask me that? Sorry missed that last part of yours. Now you're on to what I have been saying for years. It is commonly understood that our prefrontal cortex is fluid until about age 18 - 21 for boys, and ages 20 -25 for women. This is the reason center in our brain, it is how we decide what is good and what is bad, or what makes sense and what does not. It's also closely associated with our pleasure center, which correlates well with my hypothesis. Look, you don't have to agree with me, I haven't presented any material evidence to support my claim, but it doesn't mean we can discuss it with each other respectfully.

    Tim-
    Well, puberty is very often when gay thoughts are triggered and when we realize what that means...So how could i make some kind of choice to like guys my entire life, before puberty, before i felt attracted to anyone? That is all i meant

    If i could somehow make such a deliberate choice, i would remember it. So let's move on from that.

    Now, either one is born with a "gay brain," or some stimulus makes the choice (with an assist from prefrontal cortex), but what is the diff for practical purposes? The result is still a homosexual, through no real fault of their own

    Also if the prefrontal cortex is responsible and still changing up to age 20 or so, then sexuality should be in flux or easily alterable at least during the puberty up to age 20 period. But that wasn't the case for me, at all, and for plenty others i know

    Or possibly i misunderstand your argument, but it does seem diff from ben carson
    Last edited by chromium; 03-05-15 at 05:44 PM.

  5. #225
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,072

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    OK I got one

    What do Sara Palin, Ben Carson, Allen West and Michelle Bachmann have in common.



    they are republicans that will NEVER be elected president

    sigh . . I HONESTLY hope these loons fade into the back ground and the ones that are there stay there . . . nothing would make me happier than two or more candidates (party doesnt matter) running that actually have a chance with the american people and current political climate.
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  6. #226
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,118

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    3/5/2015

    another day in my life, I woke up and I chose to have a heterosexual orientation . . . . man . . its tiring making that choice all the time
    Ben Carson
    OJ, just go to prison, man. Then let somebody else make that choice for ya.

    I know, I'll get replies correcting me for calling you OJ...instead of AJ...it's one of those wild and crazy choices I have to make every time I reply or make a post directed at you.
    “The final key to the way I promote is bravado,” Donald Trump wrote in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” “I play to people’s fantasies.”

  7. #227
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Why did you as a kid (Assuming you're from my generation) never admit to masturbating when asked? By the way, the choice for boys occurs much younger than it does for young girls, so by their teenage years, you effectively have no choice in the matter. But I would note that I am already seeing a trend in this conversation and I wonder if you or anyone else has picked up on it? Ah hell, I'll just tell you because I have to log off for a while. Notice we're no longer talking about homosexuality in terms of biology, but rather sociology. I find that intriguing, even if means nothing at all.


    Unlike many who try to deny homosexuality hasn't existed forever, I am quite different. I think that it might indeed have for any number of reasons, however back then our social evolution was way behind our biological evolution; not so today, and through the last 10,000 or so. I suspect it might have something to do with the mechanism in the brain for how we choose our friends. Again, I have no evidence of this, I'm really just hypothesizing because I like to discuss the matter without the mud slinging (Although I am quite capable of slinging mud if prompted) and as I stated, the brain works in mysterious ways, where we have only begun to understand the basics.


    Tim-
    There are some findings, like the italian study, that suggest a biological advantage to limited homosexuality, and some researchers who hypothesize a social advantage in tribal settings. Both can be correct

    What threw me off i guess is the socially *conscious choice* part, as if it's limited to an individual choice in 21st century. I mean no one that i recall admitted to jerking off, even though i'm sure everyone did, because it can be done in private and it's not a big deal anyway. Being gay in a homophobic environment where the whole school will find out? No one is so crazy as to make such a decision

  8. #228
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,118

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    OK I got one

    What do Sara Palin, Ben Carson, Allen West and Michelle Bachmann have in common.



    they are republicans that will NEVER be elected president

    sigh . . I HONESTLY hope these loons fade into the back ground and the ones that are there stay there . . . nothing would make me happier than two or more candidates (party doesnt matter) running that actually have a chance with the american people and current political climate.
    SAY IT AIN'T SO!

    You trying to spoil the rest of my voting life, OJ? I don't know if I can't take it anymore.
    “The final key to the way I promote is bravado,” Donald Trump wrote in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” “I play to people’s fantasies.”

  9. #229
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-30-18 @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You made a claim. You are the one that has to support it.

    Otherwise we dismiss it as conjecture or even BS.
    I made a claim and provided a link that explains with factual evidence why I make that claim. Again I am not going to spoon feed people research. If you do not like or do not read the material I give that helps form my opinions then that is your problem not mine. You and others seem to think everything should be wrapped up into a convenient little chart or graph or a paragraph or two you can read in 5 minutes. Not everyone is ADD. Some people actually read books. It is the totality of evidence that points to my conclusions. I provided links to one such source I use. Like it...don't like it...I do not care but you cannot claim I am not supporting my argument. You can claim you don't like the way I support my argument but that is your problem not mine. You obviously didn't dismiss my claim because you took the time to post about it.

  10. #230
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes For Saying Being Gay Is a Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Carson can't have it both ways and that's just what the LGBT community sees in a statement like this:


    One cannot say they support rights in one breathe while then voicing support of the state to deny those rights in the next.
    Evidently you don't have a complete grasp of states rights. Any individual has the right to hold beliefs which are in disagreement with the state.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •