Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

  1. #21
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    At some point the ugly deadence that has taken down our culture must be reversed.

    It is becoming a matter of survival.
    That is nonsensical...what ever "decadence" has taken down our culture has been allowed by the people. The people have decided that the believed "decadence' was far less destructive to our culture than the people that wish to discriminate base on that belief.

    Discrimination and hatred are far more decadent and destructive to our culture.


  2. #22
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Depending on further action in the federal court, probate judges could be faced with conflicting orders.
    There are a lot of procedural oddities to these cases. Normally, appeals are sent back down to the original courts to become effective regardless of the rulings and the rulings have to be incorporated into the jurisdiction's jurisprudence but in these gay marriage cases they are not following the traditional procedures and judges are issuing decrees from on high and saying to hell with court procedures and demanding that compliance be immediate.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    we should immediate cease the flow of all federal $'s to alabama.

    these bozos are just wasting the use and time of SCOTUS.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    A probate judge is not a special American that the jurisdiction of the US Constitution does not apply. It is irrelevant the title of the person the state establishes as over-seer of marriages...that is irrelevant to the court.

    The state and all it's agents are in violation of the ruling. There is no such thing as not being under the jurisdiction of the courts or the Constitution.
    The Constitution didn't issue a ruling, a district court justice did, with jurisdiction over one federal district.

  5. #25
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The Constitution didn't issue a ruling, a district court justice did, with jurisdiction over one federal district.
    You seem not to be aware that courts[all courts] derive their Hierarchy from the US Constitution...that's ok, we are not on the same Constitutional understanding.


    U.S. Constitution › Article III
    Article III
    Section 1.

    The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

    Section 2.

    The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;

    --to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;
    --to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;
    --to controversies between two or more states;
    --between a state and citizens of another state;
    --between citizens of different states;
    --between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.

    The contention at a federal judge can not make a ruling on a case not settled yet is ridiculous.

    State laws are always inferior to federal court rulings. Even Obama knows this. Even Obama stayed his immigration EO implementation when issued by a federal judge.

    Alabama has already be denied stays in the Circuit courts and the SC. Arguing that a state probate judge has hierarchy over federal judges is asinine.


  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I wonder if they'd grant a stay this time around?


    Actually, I believe this can happen fairly quickly - at least in the district over which Judge Granade presides (there are three in the state). They basically request to be "added" to the already decided case. Judge Davis was added as a defendant after it quickly became apparent that the original decision didn't actually do anything. This is something that takes days, not weeks or months. Still a mess, however, since every single judge has to be sued in this manner. Because Judge Granade has no jurisdiction in the other two districts, I believe a separate suit and decision/injunction would be required to get the ball rolling, so probably a longer slog in much of the state.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    State laws are always inferior to federal court rulings. Even Obama knows this. Even Obama stayed his immigration EO implementation when issued by a federal judge.
    Quite wrong, and the situation in Alabama right now makes this clear. The Alabama Supreme Court is absolutely under no legal obligation to defer constitutional analysis to a district court judge.

    I also have no idea why you think that Obama's executive orders are state laws.

    Alabama has already be denied stays in the Circuit courts and the SC. Arguing that a state probate judge has hierarchy over federal judges is asinine.
    I don't know who you think is making this argument, but it sure isn't me.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    many bigots are desperate now just like then
    Desperate for what? I really dont understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #29
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Desperate for what? I really dont understand.
    desperate in their attempts to try ANYTHING to defeat equal rights and not let equal rights win

    but all thier desperation and last minute hailmarys will fail
    in fact many of them will actually backfire and help
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alabama Supreme Court Orders Judges to Stop Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    many bigots are desperate now just like then
    You can be opposed to SSM without being a bigot. When your best argument is that the other guys are bigots, you are doing more harm than good to your own cause.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •