Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Ferguson

  1. #81
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,306

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    My question for many here is - Why are you trying SO hard ignore clear discriminatory behavior committed by the Ferguson police department? What's in it for you to discount this clearly illegal behavior?
    Idk, more city destroying riots I guess.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #82
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Convoluted thoughts do not make for reality.

    Numbers based on (self reporting) of criminal activity are not numbers to be considered valid.
    Convoluted? Police target black communities. Black people are more likely to be arrested than white people for the same crime. Those aren't thoughts, they're facts, and facts are reality. I don't know what you're trying to say with the second sentence, but unless you're going to argue that a black person is roughly 10 times more likely to use marijuana than a white person, it doesn't make any sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Yes, the law should be equally applied. Right after the propensity for being involved in violent crime reaches the same level between the two populations.

    Far too many blacks being incarcerated? Got a great idea. Why not let black gang murderers off with a warning? I'm sure that'd reduce that population.

    The reality here is that it goes both ways. The respect that the police receive, or don't, is the same respect that they return. How about curbing various people's disrespect of the law and of the police? Could only help matters, don't you think?
    I'm not talking about violent crime and I'm not talking about "black gang murderers." Oh man, I can't believe I'm actually responding to a person who said "black gang murderers." Like I said, a study done in New York showed that only 3% of the thousands who were charged with drug possession went on to have a felony charge for a violent crime. We're targeting black communities are arresting black people at a disproportionate rate for NON-VIOLENT crimes. So if 9 in 10 prisoners in America are behind bars for a non-violent crime and the vast majority have never and will never commit a violent crime, what does that say?
    Last edited by Mustachio; 03-05-15 at 03:23 PM.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #83
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Show me the policies, across the patchwork of cities and towns in the US that say to target someone based on race.

    As for the whole violent vs non violent criminals in jail, I see that as a different issue, but I can tell you that here in liberal california-its typically repeat offenders that get put in jail. We implemented the 3 strikes law to remove repeat criminals from society and it worked well in lowering crime rates.
    I don't want to have a circular argument so I'm going to be brief and I edited your post to avoid repetition. The statistics show that across the United States, black people are arrested for, charged with, and put in jail for non-violent crimes at a higher rate than white people. For the same charge, a black person is more likely to go to prison than a white person. For the same charge, a black person is more likely to be arrested for the same crime (IE possession of marijuana). I have already provided that information, so I don't understand why you're asking me to show you something that I've already shown you.

    The documentary I mentioned addresses the 3 strike law. It is incredibly stupid, by the way. Drug addicts should receive rehabilitation, not a life sentence. Rehabilitating an addict and making them a productive member of society is infinitely better than spending our tax dollars to keep a non-violent offender in prison for the rest of their life. Let's let judges decide what the punishment should be instead of letting our state and federal legislative branches decide.
    A working class hero is something to be

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I don't want to have a circular argument so I'm going to be brief and I edited your post to avoid repetition. The statistics show that across the United States, black people are arrested for, charged with, and put in jail for non-violent crimes at a higher rate than white people. For the same charge, a black person is more likely to go to prison than a white person. For the same charge, a black person is more likely to be arrested for the same crime (IE possession of marijuana). I have already provided that information, so I don't understand why you're asking me to show you something that I've already shown you.

    The documentary I mentioned addresses the 3 strike law. It is incredibly stupid, by the way. Drug addicts should receive rehabilitation, not a life sentence. Rehabilitating an addict and making them a productive member of society is infinitely better than spending our tax dollars to keep a non-violent offender in prison for the rest of their life. Let's let judges decide what the punishment should be instead of letting our state and federal legislative branches decide.
    3 strikes is for repeat offenders, obviously. Like I said the primary job of prisons (note the recidivism rate) is to remove them from society, not rehab them. Im open to programs that are proven to work, but Im not open to letting criminals out, as my governor recently did-with the resultant spike in crime.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    My question for many here is - Why are you trying SO hard ignore clear discriminatory behavior committed by the Ferguson police department? What's in it for you to discount this clearly illegal behavior?
    There has been no discriminatory behavior shown.
    That is your problem for thinking there is.





    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Convoluted? Police target black communities.
    Areas with higher crime rates are targeted. That happens to be black areas.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Black people are more likely to be arrested than white people for the same crime.
    And? You absurdly thing the races are equal on these things?

    If things were equal, you would see equal averages amongst all the races, but we don't because they aren't.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Those aren't thoughts, they're facts, and facts are reality.

    Yes convoluted. The facts are not contested. What you think the facts show is what is the product of convoluted thoughts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I don't know what you're trying to say with the second sentence, but unless you're going to argue that a black person is roughly 10 times more likely to use marijuana than a white person, it doesn't make any sense.
    Unfortunately facts say they do.

    Numbers based on (self reporting) of criminal activity are not numbers to be considered valid. Whether you like that or not, using them is nonsensical.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #86
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    "Im so white that when cops pull me over they apologize and write themselves a ticket" Just seen that in a chat room lol.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  7. #87
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There has been no discriminatory behavior shown.
    That is your problem for thinking there is.
    Areas with higher crime rates are targeted. That happens to be black areas.
    And? You absurdly thing the races are equal on these things?
    If things were equal, you would see equal averages amongst all the races, but we don't because they aren't.
    Yes convoluted. The facts are not contested. What you think the facts show is what is the product of convoluted thoughts.
    Unfortunately facts say they do.
    Numbers based on (self reporting) of criminal activity are not numbers to be considered valid. Whether you like that or not, using them is nonsensical.
    Wow, you aren't a big fan of the truth, are you? You've completely disregarded what's been said over and over again, which is that black people are more likely to be arrested, charged, and convicted for THE SAME CRIME as a white person. You also are claiming that because black people are more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession, therefore they must use marijuana at a higher rate. That is the most obvious fallacy I have ever seen. Congratulations.

    You're welcome to provide any or all of the facts that you're alluding to. Otherwise, if I've sourced my claims and you haven't, nobody would or should take anything you say seriously. Especially since you're saying that it is a "fact" that a higher percentage of black Americans use marijuana than white Americans. If you think the statistics are unreliable, then how do you know it's a fact? And how do you account for the fact that studies, no matter when or where they have taken place, have consistently shown approximately the same percentages?
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #88
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Don't forget that every person who got pestered by cops for "manner of walking" suspicion just so happened to be black. That sorta seems like the ringer right there.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #89
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,949

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I think the politically correct thing to do is consistently enforce laws without taking race into consideration. If you are going to arrest a black man for having a little bit of marijuana, then arrest a white person for having a little bit of marijuana. Better yet, don't arrest a black man for having a little bit of marijuana. Don't arrest black people at 11.5X the rate that you arrest white people for, and remember that this is what i'm talking about, NON-VIOLENT crimes. Filling prisons up with black men who have not committed violent crimes is incredibly stupid and only perpetuates the racial divide in America.
    non violent crimes like dealing drugs, right?

    that is what a lot of progressives want....stop arresting the dealers

    no....and more so, i want their sentences raised to 15, 20, 25 year stints

    you consider dealing drugs no big deal....right?

    who got hurt? there is no victim in your minds?

    oh how wrong you are.....but i have beaten this dead horse too many times

    you and yours will keep fighting to legalize or decriminalize drugs.....

    me and mine will fight to have those who deal that poison spend the bulk of their life behind bars
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #90
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    non violent crimes like dealing drugs, right?
    that is what a lot of progressives want....stop arresting the dealers
    no....and more so, i want their sentences raised to 15, 20, 25 year stints
    you consider dealing drugs no big deal....right?
    who got hurt? there is no victim in your minds?
    oh how wrong you are.....but i have beaten this dead horse too many times
    you and yours will keep fighting to legalize or decriminalize drugs.....
    me and mine will fight to have those who deal that poison spend the bulk of their life behind bars
    If you read my posts, I'm actually talking about misdemeanor drug charges, so that would not include drug dealing charges. Even so, the sale of small quantity of marijuana, or any other drug for that matter, shouldn't warrant anything over a year. People who want drugs will be able to get them in this day and age. I never knew any real drug dealers, but I was able to purchase and use drugs for years. I'd prefer we keep our prison cells available for violent offenders, but I'm fine with gang and cartel members being there too.
    A working class hero is something to be

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •