Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 107

Thread: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Ferguson

  1. #71
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    For the moment, lets say its true that blacks and whites have parity on marijuana use ( I haven't seen any study to suggest for or against that). You can't get from there to the fact that blacks are more likely to be arrested for marijuana use without looking at the factors in between. Could they have been more likely to be out in public? Driving erratically? Caught for another crime and then marijuana was found? Less likely to have a legal reason to be using medical marijuana? More likely to commit other crimes that would lead cops to them? More gang activity? (btw there are stats for these)

    Do you understand what Im saying? You simply can't make the jump from one to the other without knowing these things.
    Ok, since you have never seen this:

    Marijuana use by race:

    MJ use black v white.jpg

    Marijuana prosecutions by race:

    MJ arrest rates.jpg

    Do you see a disconnect in the numbers? Virtually anyone with any sense does.

    ... then there is the well documented racial discrimination in the application of the death penalty.

    Research exposes racial discrimination in America's death penalty capital | World news | The Guardian
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-report.html

    Racial bias in policing is also nothing new.

    Racial Bias in Policing | Russell Sage Foundation
    Race, Class, and Perceptions of Discrimination by the Police

    ...and cops are far more likely to pull the trigger on a black target than a white one...

    Police Chief Magazine - View Article
    Michael Brown Shooting: Studies Show Racial Bias in Police Decisions | The New Republic
    http://defiant.ssc.uwo.ca/undergradu...%20dilemma.pdf

    Racism is alive and well in America. It is alive and well in most of its institutions, including the police. Racial bias amongst various suburban St Louis police departments was also widely known before any of us ever heard of Ferguson. This, as well as all of the other issues I have documents, is why there was a rush to judgement to think the Ferguson shooting had racial overtones. Although we will never know the answer to that, the DoJ report tells us the environment was ripe for such a thing.

    I am sorry, you and many of the other posters on this board refuse to look at facts and even consider the obvious conclusion. Instead, you come up with the most absurd explanations for these facts because you don't want to admit the obvious conclusion (much less consider it). You offer up some the the most absurd explanations for this trends which reminds most rational thinkers of "...officer, I swear, the tree came out of no where and jumped in front of my care...." And, once again, your posts are so obviously devoid of any rational argument or third-party support because of the need to cling to your erroneous impressions.



    Many of us know all too well ".... what you are saying..." Some of us, however, don't think you do.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 03-05-15 at 01:36 AM.

  2. #72
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/op...uson.html?_r=1

    “African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables such as the reason the vehicle stop was initiated, but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search.”
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Ok, since you have never seen this:

    Marijuana use by race:

    MJ use black v white.jpg

    Marijuana prosecutions by race:

    MJ arrest rates.jpg

    Do you see a disconnect in the numbers? Virtually anyone with any sense does.

    ... then there is the well documented racial discrimination in the application of the death penalty.

    Research exposes racial discrimination in America's death penalty capital | World news | The Guardian
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-report.html

    Racial bias in policing is also nothing new.

    Racial Bias in Policing | Russell Sage Foundation
    Race, Class, and Perceptions of Discrimination by the Police

    ...and cops are far more likely to pull the trigger on a black target than a white one...

    Police Chief Magazine - View Article
    Michael Brown Shooting: Studies Show Racial Bias in Police Decisions | The New Republic
    http://defiant.ssc.uwo.ca/undergradu...%20dilemma.pdf

    Racism is alive and well in America. It is alive and well in most of its institutions, including the police. Racial bias amongst various suburban St Louis police departments was also widely known before any of us ever heard of Ferguson. This, as well as all of the other issues I have documents, is why there was a rush to judgement to think the Ferguson shooting had racial overtones. Although we will never know the answer to that, the DoJ report tells us the environment was ripe for such a thing.

    I am sorry, you and many of the other posters on this board refuse to look at facts and even consider the obvious conclusion. Instead, you come up with the most absurd explanations for these facts because you don't want to admit the obvious conclusion (much less consider it). You offer up some the the most absurd explanations for this trends which reminds most rational thinkers of "...officer, I swear, the tree came out of no where and jumped in front of my care...." And, once again, your posts are so obviously devoid of any rational argument or third-party support because of the need to cling to your erroneous impressions.



    Many of us know all too well ".... what you are saying..." Some of us, however, don't think you do.
    And youve just told me you didn't read the thread, he already posted a link. You though, made the same leap he did. You can't simply look at use, and then arrests and say that a discrepancy is evidence of racism. You aren't accounting for the factors in between.

    If you can, Id love to see your evidence of that. And I will ask you another question-asians have a lower arrest rate than whites-is that evidence of racism?

  4. #74
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/op...uson.html?_r=1

    “FPD appears to bring certain offenses almost exclusively against African Americans. For example, from 2011 to 2013, African Americans accounted for 95% of Manner of Walking in Roadway charges, and 94% of all Failure to Comply charges.”
    What the **** is "manner of walking"?
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  5. #75
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Ferguson - CNN.com



    Was there any chance whatsoever Holder would have accepted a conclusion that said anything differently?
    Was there any chance whatsoever that the Ferguson Police Department did not engage in a pattern of discrimination? I just think that it is unfortunate that they had to spend money to discover something so obvious.

  6. #76
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I really would like to see more libs do that.
    Are you really saying that not enough liberals spend time on a community ride along?
    Or that liberals don't work for or with the police?

    Its remarkable that they love govt but not the enforcement arm of said govt.
    This again--you saying that liberals don't love the enforcement arm of the government as a blanket statement .
    Physics is Phun

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Are you really saying that not enough liberals spend time on a community ride along?
    Or that liberals don't work for or with the police?



    This again--you saying that liberals don't love the enforcement arm of the government as a blanket statement .
    Nimby, of course there are exceptions, Im speaking to the rule.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I don't consider myself to be closed-minded at all and I don't think I have a problem seeing it from the other side. The issue isn't usually the police officers themselves, it's the systematic way that race is used to determine whether or not laws will be enforced. A documentary that deals with this issue and spends a lot of time following law enforcement in is The House I Live In, which you can watch on Netflix if you'd like to see this issue from the other side. The documentary demonstrates that we have used to war on drugs to make billions of dollars off of our prisons system, even though the prison system is not at all effective at treating drug use or drug addiction. It also shows how poor black communities are targeted by law enforcement. It makes a very compelling argument.

    Convoluted thoughts do not make for reality.




    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Another poster had statistics saying the rate of marijuana use is lower among black people than for white people. But we do arrest black people at 11.5X the rate as white people for marijuana possession.


    Numbers based on (self reporting) of criminal activity are not numbers to be considered valid.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #79
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/op...uson.html?_r=1



    What the **** is "manner of walking"?
    Literally "walking while black," it seems.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #80
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    My question for many here is - Why are you trying SO hard ignore clear discriminatory behavior committed by the Ferguson police department? What's in it for you to discount this clearly illegal behavior?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •