Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 107

Thread: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Ferguson

  1. #51
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    It's not really the case, though. Sometimes what you're saying is true but it doesn't explain the numbers. Here's a NY Times editorial discussing the issue of marijuana arrests.



    The article also states that a black person is 10X more likely to go to prison for a drug charge.
    That has nothing to do with priors and I see no possible way that statistic can be explained any other way than race. Also, 9 in 10 prisoners in the United States have no history of violence. And a study done in New York showed that, among tens of thousands of people who were arrested for marijuana, 90% went on to never have a felony charge and only about 3% went on to commit a violent crime. That paints a picture of a pretty awful system to me.



    Read what I just wrote above and also read the article and watch the movie. Don't I want cops where crime is? Have you read nothing I've said? Black and white people use marijuana at THE SAME rate or perhaps black people use marijuana at a LOWER rate yet are 3-30 times more likely to be arrested for it than a white person. You said "don't you want cops where the crime is?" Maybe I should be saying that to you, because white people are using marijuana at the same rate as black people but are 3-30 times less likely to be charged with marijuana possession. Logically, whites are getting away with the crimes that you believe they should be going to prison for. Why aren't you outraged that white people are getting away with using drugs? Instead, you're an apologist for a system that targets black people and imprisons them for non-violent crimes. Sometimes, people just disagree on a subject matter, but I'm pleased to know that all of the available evidence and statistics back what I'm saying and completely destroy everything you're saying.
    a lot can affect that raw statistic though.

    Are blacks really being "targeted" or are they more involved with the drug trade?

    You cannot draw conclusions from raw data.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #52
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, the politically correct thing to do is stop giving white people a "warning" while arresting black people as often as possible. The part you're missing is this: it's not that the police encounter 11.5 times more black people who possess marijuana. The issue is that upon encountering one white person and one black person who both possess marijuana, the black person is 11.5 times more likely to be arrested.

    White teenager caught vandalizing something gets brought home to mom and dad. Black teenager caught vandalizing something gets brought to jail.

    Arrest more white people and I bet you see penalties for marijuana possession drop quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I think the politically correct thing to do is consistently enforce laws without taking race into consideration. If you are going to arrest a black man for having a little bit of marijuana, then arrest a white person for having a little bit of marijuana. Better yet, don't arrest a black man for having a little bit of marijuana. Don't arrest black people at 11.5X the rate that you arrest white people for, and remember that this is what i'm talking about, NON-VIOLENT crimes. Filling prisons up with black men who have not committed violent crimes is incredibly stupid and only perpetuates the racial divide in America.
    Yes, the law should be equally applied. Right after the propensity for being involved in violent crime reaches the same level between the two populations.

    It’s true that around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau. And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white. Homicide is a broader category than “murder” but let’s not split hairs.

    Blacks were disproportionately likely to commit homicide and to be the victims. In 2008 the offending rate for blacks was seven times higher than for whites and the victimisation rate was six times higher.

    . . .
    Alternative statistics from the FBI are more up to date but include many crimes where the killer’s race is not recorded. These numbers tell a similar story.
    In 2013, the FBI has black criminals carrying out 38 per cent of murders, compared to 31.1 per cent for whites. The offender’s race was “unknown” in 29.1 per cent of cases.
    What about violent crime more generally? FBI arrest rates are one way into this. Over the last three years of data – 2011 to 2013 – 38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black.
    FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?

    So 12 % - 13% of the population are committing between 30% -40% of the murders. Now THAT is disproportionate by anyone's measure.

    Time: “Young Black Men Murder 14 Times More than Young White Men” | FrontPage Magazine

    Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Far too many blacks being incarcerated? Got a great idea. Why not let black gang murderers off with a warning? I'm sure that'd reduce that population.

    The reality here is that it goes both ways. The respect that the police receive, or don't, is the same respect that they return. How about curbing various people's disrespect of the law and of the police? Could only help matters, don't you think?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    A question for leftists, Asians commit less crime than whites-is this evidence of racism? Should more be arrested? Why?http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ables/table-43
    Last edited by US Conservative; 03-04-15 at 09:19 PM.

  4. #54
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Yes, the law should be equally applied. Right after the propensity for being involved in violent crime reaches the same level between the two populations.

    FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?

    So 12 % - 13% of the population are committing between 30% -40% of the murders. Now THAT is disproportionate by anyone's measure.

    Time: “Young Black Men Murder 14 Times More than Young White Men” | FrontPage Magazine

    Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Far too many blacks being incarcerated? Got a great idea. Why not let black gang murderers off with a warning? I'm sure that'd reduce that population.

    The reality here is that it goes both ways. The respect that the police receive, or don't, is the same respect that they return. How about curbing various people's disrespect of the law and of the police? Could only help matters, don't you think?
    Once again "progressives" are only looking at the surface, with a quick solution without reasoning through the result of simply not arresting them.

    Now everyone remain calm, but this gets rather pink. You have to solve the source of the crime. Why? Back to the old abandoned drawing board of an earlier generation who believed understanding the problem would lead to a solution. Enter the stoopidest progressive to ever wear a Stetson Lyndon Baines Bonehead and no, we don't need to understand the ****ing problem, throw money at it!

    Then enter Nixon who said we need a war on drugs, not a war on poverty and so now you have neither.

    Why do blacks commit the largest percentage of the crime? Find out even a small percentage of that answer and you will have progress....
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  5. #55
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Once again "progressives" are only looking at the surface, with a quick solution without reasoning through the result of simply not arresting them.

    Now everyone remain calm, but this gets rather pink. You have to solve the source of the crime. Why? Back to the old abandoned drawing board of an earlier generation who believed understanding the problem would lead to a solution. Enter the stoopidest progressive to ever wear a Stetson Lyndon Baines Bonehead and no, we don't need to understand the ****ing problem, throw money at it!

    Then enter Nixon who said we need a war on drugs, not a war on poverty and so now you have neither.

    Why do blacks commit the largest percentage of the crime? Find out even a small percentage of that answer and you will have progress....
    I think there's a disconnect between the morals, ethics, and value system that many hold, and the ones that society in general holds, and in this conflict, the individual will eventually lose, and, if criminal in the nature of offenses, will end up incarcerated.

    Should society commonize, more or less, on the same, or closely similar morals, ethics, and value system, the disconnect is eliminated, the conflict doesn't occur with any significance, and the likelihood of incarceration fo the individual is significantly decreased.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  6. #56
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I think there's a disconnect between the morals, ethics, and value system that many hold, and the ones that society in general holds, and in this conflict, the individual will eventually lose, and, if criminal in the nature of offenses, will end up incarcerated.

    Should society commonize, more or less, on the same, or closely similar morals, ethics, and value system, the disconnect is eliminated, the conflict doesn't occur with any significance, and the likelihood of incarceration fo the individual is significantly decreased.
    The disconnect as it occurs here, comes from what? Genetics? Or is it environment, in the raising and nurturing of a child. One thing I notice through the Caribbean, Africa and so forth is a propensity for women to birth children from different fathers, few of whom stick around to raise what they have sewn. How does that contribute to that disconnect? While it is common in much of Africa to have a brother who is also a cousin, it is a source of shame in our culture.

    All of these things affect the socio-economic aspects of the race in ways that job programs, AA, and any race based program can't begin to influence...mere band aids, if that, to a cancer too long ignored.

    I doubt that the same numbers would apply here. We have few blacks, but our crime comes predominantly from First Nations, for the same reasons it seems. So I dismiss genetics, but aim at the social mileaux in which they are being raised. Something we conveniently ignore because we have all these affirmative action programs we are told work.....

    They don't
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #57
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    The disconnect as it occurs here, comes from what? Genetics? Or is it environment, in the raising and nurturing of a child. One thing I notice through the Caribbean, Africa and so forth is a propensity for women to birth children from different fathers, few of whom stick around to raise what they have sewn. How does that contribute to that disconnect? While it is common in much of Africa to have a brother who is also a cousin, it is a source of shame in our culture.

    All of these things affect the socio-economic aspects of the race in ways that job programs, AA, and any race based program can't begin to influence...mere band aids, if that, to a cancer too long ignored.

    I doubt that the same numbers would apply here. We have few blacks, but our crime comes predominantly from First Nations, for the same reasons it seems. So I dismiss genetics, but aim at the social mileaux in which they are being raised. Something we conveniently ignore because we have all these affirmative action programs we are told work.....

    They don't
    No, most certainly not genetics, nor race. Would appear to be logical that the 'war on poverty' and all the affirmative action programs have the exactly the unintended consequences as desired. But that a system, which grows by accretion and excess and ill-considered decisions eventually works counter to it's original intended purpose is really no great revelation.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  8. #58
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Show me the policies, across the patchwork of cities and towns in the US that say to target someone based on race.
    Wow, they have to literally write a policy that says "be racist" before you see it.

    Amazing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Wow, they have to literally write a policy that says "be racist" before you see it.

    Amazing.
    Your problem is that you are asking me to assume facts not in evidence. Maybe thats good enough for the left, but not me.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Once again "progressives" are only looking at the surface, with a quick solution without reasoning through the result of simply not arresting them.

    Now everyone remain calm, but this gets rather pink. You have to solve the source of the crime. Why? Back to the old abandoned drawing board of an earlier generation who believed understanding the problem would lead to a solution. Enter the stoopidest progressive to ever wear a Stetson Lyndon Baines Bonehead and no, we don't need to understand the ****ing problem, throw money at it!

    Then enter Nixon who said we need a war on drugs, not a war on poverty and so now you have neither.

    Why do blacks commit the largest percentage of the crime? Find out even a small percentage of that answer and you will have progress....
    The left isn't looking for answers, they are looking for accusations of racism to further their politics. Thats all that matters.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •