Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107

Thread: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Ferguson

  1. #91
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,963

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    If you read my posts, I'm actually talking about misdemeanor drug charges, so that would not include drug dealing charges. Even so, the sale of small quantity of marijuana, or any other drug for that matter, shouldn't warrant anything over a year. People who want drugs will be able to get them in this day and age. I never knew any real drug dealers, but I was able to purchase and use drugs for years. I'd prefer we keep our prison cells available for violent offenders, but I'm fine with gang and cartel members being there too.
    fine

    please list the non violent crimes for which you believe that should warrant no prison time

    and please also understand this....prison is still a deterrent.....if you take that away from the court system, then what keeps people from committing more and more crimes of that sort?

    what is their penalty that they are going to be so afraid of?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #92
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    We needed the justice department to investigate in order to confirm the obvious!
    Yes, that Wilson is innocent.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    If you read my posts, I'm actually talking about misdemeanor drug charges, so that would not include drug dealing charges. Even so, the sale of small quantity of marijuana, or any other drug for that matter, shouldn't warrant anything over a year. People who want drugs will be able to get them in this day and age. I never knew any real drug dealers, but I was able to purchase and use drugs for years. I'd prefer we keep our prison cells available for violent offenders, but I'm fine with gang and cartel members being there too.
    I don't know what you consider a "real drug dealer" but from where I stand anyone you bought drugs from is a drug dealer. That said, you would have to have a box of weed in my area unless you were picked up by the feds to get a year in jail--okay technically an ounce to be a felony, but the odds of you pulling a year as a first time offender would be remote. Now if this was your 10th conviction, maybe, but then you would still get a day for a day and only do 6 months.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  4. #94
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    fine

    please list the non violent crimes for which you believe that should warrant no prison time

    and please also understand this....prison is still a deterrent.....if you take that away from the court system, then what keeps people from committing more and more crimes of that sort?

    what is their penalty that they are going to be so afraid of?
    Fraud, such as cashing a false check.
    Property damage.
    Any DUI that did not involve additional charges
    Receiving stolen property
    Counterfeiting
    Drug possession
    Insurance fraud
    Obtaining narcotics with a forged prescription
    Loitering

    That's what I came up with off the top of my head. Drugs are what put most people in prison, though, and I think it's stupid. Laws aren't an effective deterrent for drug use. People have been using drugs in every culture during every period of human history. It is our nature to use drugs. People should avoid drugs so that they can make the most of their life, not because they are afraid of being punished. Fear temporarily motivates people, inspiration lasts much longer.
    A working class hero is something to be

  5. #95
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    If you read my posts, I'm actually talking about misdemeanor drug charges, so that would not include drug dealing charges. Even so, the sale of small quantity of marijuana, or any other drug for that matter, shouldn't warrant anything over a year. People who want drugs will be able to get them in this day and age. I never knew any real drug dealers, but I was able to purchase and use drugs for years. I'd prefer we keep our prison cells available for violent offenders, but I'm fine with gang and cartel members being there too.
    Possession charges do nothing but clog the courts. Less than 3% of marijuana users move on to hard crime, and then usually only after being exposed to the prison system. From reading the above and hearing a full length radio show on CBC on this, clearly blacks are suffering the largest part of enforcement on all charges.

    However I believe this is a cause and effect situation, more crime in one area creates more enforcement, high crime also reduces the street level tolerance level.

    In either event, this report shows there was cause for the citizens to rise up
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #96
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Fraud, such as cashing a false check.
    Property damage.
    Any DUI that did not involve additional charges
    Receiving stolen property
    Counterfeiting
    Drug possession
    Insurance fraud
    Obtaining narcotics with a forged prescription
    Loitering

    That's what I came up with off the top of my head. Drugs are what put most people in prison, though, and I think it's stupid. Laws aren't an effective deterrent for drug use. People have been using drugs in every culture during every period of human history. It is our nature to use drugs. People should avoid drugs so that they can make the most of their life, not because they are afraid of being punished. Fear temporarily motivates people, inspiration lasts much longer.


    Petty theft
    Shop lifting
    habitual petty offender
    Drug use
    simple trespass.
    loitering
    underage liquor
    any crime that is committed in the need to stay alive. A man breaking into a summer cabin in the dead of winter because he is freezing and starving should not even be charged.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #97
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,963

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Fraud, such as cashing a false check.
    Property damage.
    Any DUI that did not involve additional charges
    Receiving stolen property
    Counterfeiting
    Drug possession
    Insurance fraud
    Obtaining narcotics with a forged prescription
    Loitering

    That's what I came up with off the top of my head. Drugs are what put most people in prison, though, and I think it's stupid. Laws aren't an effective deterrent for drug use. People have been using drugs in every culture during every period of human history. It is our nature to use drugs. People should avoid drugs so that they can make the most of their life, not because they are afraid of being punished. Fear temporarily motivates people, inspiration lasts much longer.

    Fraud, such as cashing a false check.
    I have sworn out warrants on four of these cases personally. In all cases, the person wrote a check for over $ 5000 knowing it would never cash on the purchase of a car. So...what penalty should that person pay.....restitution? sure...been ordered in every case, and i think we have seen maybe 10% of what is owed. So what, lets let people target businesses, and old people, and stupid people, and get away with it....right?


    Property damage. what like Bieber egging his neighbors house? I doubt many people are in prison for this charge....but enlighten me if i am mistaken


    Any DUI that did not involve additional charges....so a slap on the wrist? repeat offenders are the ones that eventually kill someone.....and they continue drinking and driving. Sorry....getting behind a wheel, and doing so while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a big no no in my book.

    Receiving stolen property.....so the fences who take the stolen goods from the burglars hitting your houses.....no prion for them, huh? no....

    Counterfeiting....this is a FEDERAL crime.....for a reason. It undermines the value of our currency. Go straight to leavenworth, do not stop at go, do not collect $ 200

    we are a nation of laws.....it is what separates us from anarchy.....they arent too hard to follow.....

    Drug possession....depends......if it is an amount strictly for personal use.....i agree.....if it is an amount that shows the person is dealing, or transporting drugs....no way....


    Insurance fraud.....goes with embezzlement and other white collar crimes......the Bernie Madoff's of the world who would cheat your grandmother out of her life savings.....no

    Obtaining narcotics with a forged prescription......again.....if just for personal use....okay.....if amount is intended for sale or distribution, no way

    Loitering....someone may spend a few days in the pokie for this, but they dont go to prison
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #98
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,963

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Petty theft
    Shop lifting
    habitual petty offender
    Drug use
    simple trespass.
    loitering
    underage liquor
    any crime that is committed in the need to stay alive. A man breaking into a summer cabin in the dead of winter because he is freezing and starving should not even be charged.

    i would seriously doubt many people are in prison for these infractions

    jail time....yes...on some of them

    some of them are just fine type infractions...
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #99
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Population 308,745,538
    White American     223,553,265     72.4 %
    Non-Hispanic White     196,817,552     63.7% of the population

    African Americans     38,929,319     12.6 %
    Non-Hispanic Black or African American     37,685,848     12.2% of the population

    Hispanic or Latino     50,477,594     16.4% of the population


    Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Keep in mind that in the following stats, unless black/AA is claimed, Hispanic and Latino are aggregated under "white".



    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #100
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African Americans in Fergu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Wow, you aren't a big fan of the truth, are you?
    Obviously I am far more than you are.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    You've completely disregarded what's been said over and over again, which is that black people are more likely to be arrested, charged, and convicted for THE SAME CRIME as a white person.
    Here is that truth thing again, you are clearly telling untruths here.
    You are the one attaching meaning to it which does not exist.
    I didn't stutter, I already addressed it, so stop being dishonest.

    Again:
    What you think the facts show is what is the product of convoluted thoughts.
    and
    If things were equal, you would see equal averages amongst all the races, but we don't because they aren't.

    Do you really not understand that when it comes to crime, there is no parity between the races?


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    You also are claiming that because black people are more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession, therefore they must use marijuana at a higher rate.

    Wrong!
    I have dismissed "self reporting" as any kind of meaningful or valid metric in such a discussion, nor have I attached meaning (unlike you) beyond that which the stats show.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    That is the most obvious fallacy I have ever seen. Congratulations.
    Congratulations on being wrong again.
    The hard stats show otherwise.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    You're welcome to provide any or all of the facts that you're alluding to. Otherwise, if I've sourced my claims and you haven't, nobody would or should take anything you say seriously.
    Holy ****!
    We are going off of what you provided.
    You attaching meaning to those stats is what shouldn't be taken seriously.
    As other have shown, the cause of the disparity can be for a variety of more logical and reasonable reasons other than racism.
    And yes, one of those reasons is that blacks commit far more crime overall than other races. Again, there is no parity.

    Let provide an example of what you are doing, but in the opposite.

    By the above stats.
    DUI's
    84.6 for whites
    12.1 for blacks.


    This is what you are doing when it comes to viewing the stats, but in the opposite.
    OMG! Look at the disparity in those numbers, the cops are racist against whites.

    While there is a disparity in those numbers there is no indication of anything racist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Especially since you're saying that it is a "fact" that a higher percentage of black Americans use marijuana than white Americans.
    Really? I said that huh? iLOL
    I said that is what the stats show.
    Your dishonest argument is dishonest.

    Again what was actually said.
    Unfortunately facts say they do.

    Numbers based on (self reporting) of criminal activity are not numbers to be considered valid. Whether you like that or not, using them is nonsensical.

    The actual crime stats show that. Are you going to say they don't?


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    If you think the statistics are unreliable, then how do you know it's a fact? And how do you account for the fact that studies, no matter when or where they have taken place, have consistently shown approximately the same percentages?
    This is either you not understanding what has previously been said, or just you making another dishonest argument.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •