Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 297

Thread: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee[W:175,246, 296]

  1. #281
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,163

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Former editors of the Havard Law Review aren't enough for you then?
    Token hall monitor.

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,653

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Governance experience is important for at least three reasons:

    1. Governance requires building coalitions with various individuals and groups, whose interests may not always be aligned, in order to develop or implement policies. Governance experience does not assure a candidate possesses such capabilities, but one who has had exposure to building such coalitions and can point to demonstrated success in having done so e.g., getting legislation adopted, leading a State government, etc., has a better chance to do so in higher office. Executive experience is particularly relevant for the Presidency.
    2. Governance experience gives one exposure to a range of policy issues (domestic and foreign). One who lacks such experience may have little or no understanding of the major issues in the policy realm.
    3. Governance experience also gives on invaluable contacts—people and organizations—that could be helpful when it comes to policy making and finding people to form one’s Administration.

    In the end, even as governance experience might provide no guarantees, a candidate with such experience is vastly better prepared for high federal office. Those with governance experience have a much better ability to transform vision into policy reality than those who lack it.

    For purposes of an analogy, it is extremely unlikely that a major corporation would hire a CEO who lacked prior management experience. The same holds true with voters when it comes to electing the President of the United States, a task that is far more complex and difficult than running a country given the much broader range of interests and international/security dimensions involved.

  3. #283
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,653

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    With respect to Carson's campaign, the importance of governance and leadership experience is becoming even clearer. The Washington Post reported:

    The presidential candidacy of Ben Carson, a tea party star who has catapulted into the top tier of Republican contenders, has been rocked by turmoil with the departures of four senior campaign officials and widespread disarray among his allied super PACs.

    In interviews Friday, Carson’s associates described a political network in tumult, saying the retired neurosurgeon’s campaign chairman, national finance chairman, deputy campaign manager and general counsel have resigned since Carson formally launched his bid last month in Detroit. They have not been replaced, campaign aides said.


    Ben Carson

    Almost certainly, the inability to build and sustain a campaign organization is the result of Carson's lack of leadership experience. That he was a highly skilled neurosurgeon does not mean that such talent is readily transferable to tasks that require leadership. The requirements of neurosurgery and leadership are quite different.

    Building and sustaining campaign organizations is one such task that requires a degree of leadership. Governance is another, and it's one that is far more demanding, as one needs to work with people who have competing interests and goals. That he has already floundered very early in the race on the first task highlights a larger lack of preparation to lead the nation.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    For purposes of an analogy, it is extremely unlikely that a major corporation would hire a CEO who lacked prior management experience. The same holds true with voters when it comes to electing the President of the United States, a task that is far more complex and difficult than running a country given the much broader range of interests and international/security dimensions involved.
    Then why did the majority of the Americanelectorate vote for B.Obama?

  5. #285
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,653

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then why did the majority of the Americanelectorate vote for B.Obama?
    In part, extraordinary circumstances. In part, a flawed opponent. The nation was in a crisis. Senator McCain initially thought the economy was "fundamentally sound" when it wasn't, later panicked (canceling then calling off the cancelation of his debate appearance), insisted on a White House crisis summit (both he and Obama were invited to the White House, but then McCain never participated even as Obama was engaged throughout, as noted in Treasury Secretary Paulson's memoirs), etc. Obama was also a strong communicator; his opponent wasn't. In the end, Obama presented the image of a steady and confident leader and during times of crises, the public clamors for such steadiness.

    Also, it should be noted that unlike Carson, Obama had state and federal experience, even as his years of experience was limited. Carson has had no leadership experience. Not too surprisingly, his campaign organization appears to be unraveling.

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    In part, extraordinary circumstances. In part, a flawed opponent. The nation was in a crisis. Senator McCain initially thought the economy was "fundamentally sound" when it wasn't, later panicked (canceling then calling off the cancelation of his debate appearance), insisted on a White House crisis summit (both he and Obama were invited to the White House, but then McCain never participated even as Obama was engaged throughout, as noted in Treasury Secretary Paulson's memoirs), etc. Obama was also a strong communicator; his opponent wasn't. In the end, Obama presented the image of a steady and confident leader and during times of crises, the public clamors for such steadiness.

    Also, it should be noted that unlike Carson, Obama had state and federal experience, even as his years of experience was limited. Carson has had no leadership experience. Not too surprisingly, his campaign organization appears to be unraveling.
    Obama's experience was showing up to vote "Present". Both McCain and Romney had far greater real world experience than Barack Obama.

    It was his race that got it done, and the gullibility of the electorate, particularly the second time around.

  7. #287
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,749
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee[W:175,246]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Obama's experience was showing up to vote "Present". Both McCain and Romney had far greater real world experience than Barack Obama.

    It was his race that got it done, and the gullibility of the electorate, particularly the second time around.
    Conservatives are race pimps. See how they ignore that Obama won his first election against another Black person. See how they ignore that Obama won the 2008 primary over "inevitable" Hillary Clinton. But if race is the be-all end-all then are pubs should nominate Ben Carson and get an easy victory in theory.

  8. #288
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,653

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Obama's experience was showing up to vote "Present". Both McCain and Romney had far greater real world experience than Barack Obama.

    It was his race that got it done, and the gullibility of the electorate, particularly the second time around.
    The 2008 election was a crisis election. Experience becomes less important than in more normal circumstances. Barring unexpected developments the 2016 election will occur during more normal conditions.

    In 2008, Obama won on the all-important economy issue (53%-44%), as well as on a number of less important issues. Race actually proved a very tiny factor according to the exit polls.

    Inside Obama

    Even as Obama was lightly experienced, Carson has no leadership experience. In the upcoming election that will prove fatal to his candidacy. That his campaign is already falling apart exposes the dangers of one's lacking leadership experience.

  9. #289
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    38,780

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Obama's experience was showing up to vote "Present". Both McCain and Romney had far greater real world experience than Barack Obama.

    It was his race that got it done, and the gullibility of the electorate, particularly the second time around.
    Ah, "voting present." Yes, he voted present -- 3% of the time.

    Obama’s Legislative Record

    Don't you ever get sick of posting blatant lies? Why even ask a thoughtful, intelligent poster like don a question about why Obama got elected when all you're going to do is ignore his answer so you can continue posting your dishonest twaddle?
    Last edited by Kobie; 06-08-15 at 06:32 AM.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #290
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,383

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ah, "voting present." Yes, he voted present -- 3% of the time.

    Obama’s Legislative Record

    Don't you ever get sick of posting blatant lies? Why even ask a thoughtful, intelligent poster like don a question about why Obama got elected when all you're going to do is ignore his answer so you can continue posting your dishonest twaddle?
    Kobie, don't you know it isn't lying when you really 'believe' what you are posting?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •