Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 297

Thread: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee[W:175,246, 296]

  1. #151
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    And this guy is polling 2nd to 3rd among Republican Primary voters.
    Ah, no, he's not. But it does make for a good talking point if your goal is to smear a whole swath of people with one giant brush.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,979

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Lest anyone foolishly think that my views regarding experience and their impact regarding elections in general and my personal feeling towards a candidate, I'd suggest you search for posts of mine from 2008 with the keywords "executive experience" in them. This was a major issue I vocalized often and repeatedly with Obama. Unlike some political hacks that care singularly about ideology and have absolutely no principles, I actually tend to keep my standards. Experience is important to me. While some non-government experience is ABSOLUTELY attractive (as opposed to a career politician), it is attractive as a supplemental portion of a candidates resume...not the core.

    I don't want a mechanic who's never dealt with electronics working on my motherboard. I don't want a surgeon who can't change his own oil working on my car's transmission. I don't want an architec who's never played football being my team's offensive coordinator. And I don't want some guy who's successful in an entirely unrelated field running my country and controlling my military.

  3. #153
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,000

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Ah, no, he's not. But it does make for a good talking point if your goal is to smear a whole swath of people with one giant brush.
    You might out to check your facts:

    2016 National GOP Primary - Polls - HuffPost Pollster (polling 3rd in this average)

    Between 2nd to 4th in these polls: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #154
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You might out to check your facts:

    2016 National GOP Primary - Polls - HuffPost Pollster (polling 3rd in this average)

    Between 2nd to 4th in these polls: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination
    One outlier Democrat poll, of 316 people, that gives him 18%, in second, skewing his average higher, only taking into account the last three polls, previous polls showing him much lower, is not indicative of him being 2 or 3rd choice among Republican primary voters.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  5. #155
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,979

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You might out to check your facts:

    2016 National GOP Primary - Polls - HuffPost Pollster (polling 3rd in this average)

    Between 2nd to 4th in these polls: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination
    Let's see, regarding RCP

    Second in PPP's poll

    Fifth in the CNN/ORC Poll

    Fourth in the Fox News Poll

    Now looking at the one additional current one that Huff Post uses that RCP doesn't.

    Seventh in YouGov's poll

    Averaging them, that gives us an average rank of 4.5. So round that either way you want, it still doesn't equal "2nd or 3rd". There is only one current poll cited by either of your two pollsters that rates him as either 2 or 3.

    It'd be accurate to suggest he's in the top 5 of republican choices, but it's a bit of a misrepresentation to declare him definitively as the 2nd or 3rd choice.


    --------------------------


    Taking it a step farther, I added up all the percentages for the top candidates listed on all four of the "current" polls by your two sources, to get an average "percentage" as well. I equated "top candidate" as someone polling over 5% in at least one poll. It looks like this.

    1st: Scott Walker - 16%
    2nd: Jeb Bush - 14%
    3rd: Mike Huckabee - 12%
    4th: Ben Carson - 10%
    5th: Rand Paul - 9%
    6th: Chris Christie - 6%
    7th: Marco Rubio - 5%

    So taking an aggregate of all the polls in question, Ben Carson looks to be the 4th choice currently. And none of them have a significant edge over their next closest competitor. The largest is Rand Paul, being 3% points ahead of the #6 guy and only 1% away from the #4 guy.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 03-04-15 at 10:37 AM.

  6. #156
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,908

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    1.)No, thank you - for continuing to double down and try to weasel and squirm away from your own words.
    2.)Facts are facts
    3.) and posters here can see your pretzels and back flips.
    4.) They're reminded of a salmon landed and cast to the floor of the boat flipping and flopping around, desperate trying to escape, and not realizing it's over.
    5.) It's over AJ, you lost - accept it like a man, if you can.
    1.) except i have facts on my said and you have nothing but your failed assumption and lies lol
    2.) yes they are and they prove you wrong
    3.) nope they can simply go back and see that i factually did not say what you claim and you got caught posting a lie . . AGAIN lol
    4.) I agree it was over as soon as you made up your lie
    5.) facts never lose to lies and therefore I wont

    keep trying though facts, quotes and thread history all prove you posted a lie
    your post is destoryed and facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #157
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,839

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I really like Ben Carson. He'd do fine as a POTUS, heads and shoulders better than who we have no.
    He a perfect republican. A conservative hack who plays to the right wing nut jobs. He thinks gay is a choice. So too is president. He won't be chosen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  8. #158
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    He doesn't, that's why your statement is simply wrong. Politicians who do change rules in the states have legalized or decriminalized marijuana. That's why saying we're no closer to legalization is false. Your statement is like saying we're not closer to gay marriage if the federal government doesn't recognize it. Not only does it completely ignore the legalization process, it's absolutely fallacious. The legalization of marijuana would have been unthinkable in the 1980s. Today, we have various states decriminalizing it and legalizing it, as well as several bills introduced to legalize it in congress. THAT is what makes your "no closer" to legalizing it statement false.
    You be sure to let me know when the President of the United States has declared marijuana legal in this country. Until then, we are no further along making marijuana legal than we were the day before yesterday, 2006, or 1942.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #159
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If this is somehow actually attempting to counter my post you quoted, you're being amazingly dishonest by misrepresenting comments about political experience to being about "community organizer". Not to mention your blatant strawmanning by arguing about "worthiness" when my post was about "experience".

    No, when it comes to experience, a "Community Organizer" is no more related to the Presdient of the United States of American than a Neurosurgeon. HOWEVER, seven years as a state Senator and three years as a US Senator absolutely and unquestionbaly is more experience related to the POTUS than someone who has zero experience in government.

    As to the entire hogwash about "religion", to act like many on the right didn't make a GIANT deal out of Obama's connections with Reverend Wright and his potential religious views (be it Wright or be it as a supposed "Muslim") during the campaign is laughable. Did the left by and large not have an issue with it? Absolutely. Just like the right has no issue with Carson's now and is balking at the audacity of people bringing up his religious beliefs as some kind of negative.
    So just being a politician gives you experience to be President? Hmm....

    I don't recall that the criticism of Obama's connection with Wright had anything to do with religion. If I recall correctly, the issue people had with his affiliation with Wright was based on Wright's devisive and bordering on anti-American words. What specifically was it about Wright's religion that "many on the right" considered to be an issue?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #160
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,988

    Re: Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Ben Carson forms presidential exploratory committee | Fox News



    I didn't really expect Carson to run. But from the look of this it sounds like he is actually extremely likely to make the attempt. I guess that makes sense considering he's hovering in 2nd or 3rd place in the polls though. I still find it extremely unlikely he'll win the nomination with his lack of political and campaign experience.

    He stands about as much of a chance than that NINE NINE NINE Pizza Guy.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •