Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Generals in the US military do this all the time as in every military.

    That's a liberal meme, careful, when using past bad behavior to justify current bad behavior. Besides, if the General did what they allege then he should be found guilty and made to account.

    That's not a dem/gop thing, that's a LAW thing.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well Team BO pressed the charges against General Petraeus. A Decorated American Hero. Got him to cop to a plea for lying to Federal Investigators and mishandling classified information. What do you think about this? Is BO getting some revenge on the Repubs again?
    No. It is likely a slap on the wrist to avoid a very very embarrassing situation for the U.S. government. Petraeus would know everything about Iraq and Afghanistan. If he were put on trial all of that could come out and he could go to prison for up to ten years

    (f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense,
    (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or
    (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—
    Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No. It is likely a slap on the wrist to avoid a very very embarrassing situation for the U.S. government. Petraeus would know everything about Iraq and Afghanistan. If he were put on trial all of that could come out and he could go to prison for up to ten years

    Evidently this works out with him taking the plea. As the deal will give him immunity from any future attempts at prosecuting him. Which includes any thing that he now testifies to when called by Gowdy.

    Good thing Team BO isn't to smart.

  4. #14
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Evidently this works out with him taking the plea. As the deal will give him immunity from any future attempts at prosecuting him. Which includes any thing that he now testifies to when called by Gowdy.

    Good thing Team BO isn't to smart.
    Things are unraveling at a pace they didn't foresee. I imagine Hillary will need a sleep aid tonight.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Evidently this works out with him taking the plea. As the deal will give him immunity from any future attempts at prosecuting him. Which includes any thing that he now testifies to when called by Gowdy.

    Good thing Team BO isn't to smart.
    I think I am missing something. Can you explain in greater detail what you mean?

  6. #16
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think I am missing something. Can you explain in greater detail what you mean?
    It's called double jeopardy. Petraeus can't be prosecuted for the same crime twice. His testimony before Gowdy, should it happen, will be done with immunity from further prosecution, by law. This doesn't remove all contraints from Petraeus - he's still held to all other legal restraints not described in the complaint against him and those his former office requires, but it does give him far more latitude than he previously had.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think I am missing something. Can you explain in greater detail what you mean?
    He accepted a misdemeanor charge......they wont be able to come back and charge him for leaking any classified information. Not even if is on the stand.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    It's called double jeopardy. Petraeus can't be prosecuted for the same crime twice. His testimony before Gowdy, should it happen, will be done with immunity from further prosecution, by law. This doesn't remove all contraints from Petraeus - he's still held to all other legal restraints not described in the complaint against him and those his former office requires, but it does give him far more latitude than he previously had.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    He accepted a misdemeanor charge......they wont be able to come back and charge him for leaking any classified information. Not even if is on the stand.
    So you are saying that he could still be called to testify and potentially talk about everything he knows concerning Afghanistan and Iraq, but would be immune from prosecution?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    So you are saying that he could still be called to testify and potentially talk about everything he knows concerning Afghanistan and Iraq, but would be immune from prosecution?
    Its exactly like HB said, they can't prosecute him or it would be double jeopardy.

    Which Team BO isn't concerned about Iraq or Afghanistan. Its Benghazi.

  10. #20
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Former CIA Head David Petraeus to Plead Guilty.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    So you are saying that he could still be called to testify and potentially talk about everything he knows concerning Afghanistan and Iraq, but would be immune from prosecution?
    Yes, but that's not important. It's the testimony on Benghazi that is. Think "talking points".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •