Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #81
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    You asked a direct question and I gave you a direct answer.

    And yes those do not matter to the law - that was the point.

    And clearly they do not matter to you either.
    But your answer was abjectly stupid, that's the problem.


    Marriage is a secular institution NOW, but it was in the past just a religious institution which has now been violated by the State.
    It's really never been a religious institution in the United States. It's ALWAYS been a secular institution. The state provides the legal benefits, the church provides a ceremony. That's all the church provides. It's a show. It has no validity beyond the show.

    It's too bad you can't separate the two.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #82
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    That is complete nonsense.

    Marriage without religion = mid to late 20th century.

    That is complete nonsense.

    Ignoring history from Europe and Common Law marriages which we inhereted and which most state recognized for generations:


    The shortage of ministers in Virginia during and after the American Revolution made it difficult for Virginians,
    especially those living in the state’s western regions, to be married by Anglican ministers. As a result, marriages
    were performed by those who did not have authority to perform the marriage ceremony. In the 1783 “Act
    to Authorize and Confirm Marriages in Certain Cases,” the General Assembly validated these marriages and
    empowered the county courts to name a justice of the peace to perform the marriage ceremony.


    A Justice of the Peace is a secular lower court or magistrate position, a Justice of the Peace is not a minister or member of the clergy, their duties are civil not religious.


    http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/g...ch_note_26.pdf


    >>>>

  3. #83
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    That is complete nonsense.

    Marriage without religion = mid to late 20th century.
    You're wrong. Very wrong. I'll provide links after I get off and on my computer.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You're wrong. Very wrong. I'll provide links after I get off and on my computer.
    You don't think he's going to care, do you?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #85
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    That is complete nonsense.

    Marriage without religion = mid to late 20th century.
    Here you go.

    13 Facts on the History of Marriage

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/arti...rriage-history

    Sexual moral codes changed how we view relationships, but the main purpose of marriage from the beginning was to basically help to identify a man's children were his by a certain woman. It had pretty much nothing to do with religion.

    History of Marriage | The History, Origins and Customs of Marriage
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #86
    The Expert
    JP Cusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hollywood, MD. USA, 20636
    Last Seen
    04-22-15 @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Ignoring history from Europe and Common Law marriages which we inhereted and which most state recognized for generations:


    The shortage of ministers in Virginia during and after the American Revolution made it difficult for Virginians,
    especially those living in the state’s western regions, to be married by Anglican ministers. As a result, marriages
    were performed by those who did not have authority to perform the marriage ceremony. In the 1783 “Act
    to Authorize and Confirm Marriages in Certain Cases,” the General Assembly validated these marriages and
    empowered the county courts to name a justice of the peace to perform the marriage ceremony.

    A Justice of the Peace is a secular lower court or magistrate position, a Justice of the Peace is not a minister or member of the clergy, their duties are civil not religious.

    http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/g...ch_note_26.pdf
    I agree that the violation of the Church by the State really began here in the USA.

    It was Christianity that trusted the State, as in Christians viewed the USA as being a Christian Country which was a BIG mistake, so Christians gave away their authority to the States and the States took it and as a result the religious institution of marriage became secular and marriage is now nothing more than one big civil union.

    The idea that the USA was a Christian Nation is trampled under foot = The United States as NOT a Christian nation - RationalWiki

    And if marriage is NOT religious then there would not be such a push of homosexual marriages to be done by religions.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    SIGNATURE: JP Cusick
    Mr. Know-it-all, sir.

  7. #87
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    I agree that the violation of the Church by the State really began here in the USA.

    It was Christianity that trusted the State, as in Christians viewed the USA as being a Christian Country which was a BIG mistake, so Christians gave away their authority to the States and the States took it and as a result the religious institution of marriage became secular and marriage is now nothing more than one big civil union.

    The idea that the USA was a Christian Nation is trampled under foot = The United States as NOT a Christian nation - RationalWiki

    And if marriage is NOT religious then there would not be such a push of homosexual marriages to be done by religions.
    You really aren't making any sense. Something doesn't have to be religious in nature, completely, to involve religion in some way. I can involve religion in naming my child, their coming of age, death, and other aspects of my life if I choose, as can others, but it doesn't make those things exclusively religious.

    As for America being the place that added government to marriage, you are very wrong, as I've already shown.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    I agree that the violation of the Church by the State really began here in the USA.

    It was Christianity that trusted the State, as in Christians viewed the USA as being a Christian Country which was a BIG mistake, so Christians gave away their authority to the States and the States took it and as a result the religious institution of marriage became secular and marriage is now nothing more than one big civil union.

    The idea that the USA was a Christian Nation is trampled under foot = The United States as NOT a Christian nation - RationalWiki

    And if marriage is NOT religious then there would not be such a push of homosexual marriages to be done by religions.

    You may have not seen a previous question posted to you earlier, so let me repeat it...

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    So let me ask you.

    Do you recognize that same-sex couple who receive a religious marriage in a religious organization as married and that the government should recognize that equally as different-sex couples married in a religious organization?



    If the government doesn't recognize those marriages equally, isn't that the government interfering with religious authority?

    >>>>



    So if marriage is a religious only institution, isn't it discriminatory against those institutions that perform same-sex religious marriage to not recognize them equally?



    >>>>

  9. #89
    The Expert
    JP Cusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hollywood, MD. USA, 20636
    Last Seen
    04-22-15 @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    You may have not seen a previous question posted to you earlier, so let me repeat it...
    Yes I saw it, along with a few other comments / questions which I see no reason for me to feed into.

    I happen to agree that banning SSM is not Constitutional, but that is because the Constitution and the US gov never had any authority over marriage and it is a violation of religion which can be done under this secular and immoral Constitution.

    I do not argue against the law - as I just moan and groan the violation of the Church by the State for the purpose of homosexuality.

    It is like the past Super Bowl - the cheaters really do win.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    If the government doesn't recognize those marriages equally, isn't that the government interfering with religious authority?

    So if marriage is a religious only institution, isn't it discriminatory against those institutions that perform same-sex religious marriage to not recognize them equally?
    Of course the government must recognize people equally.

    But religion was one of the protected categories = Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    SIGNATURE: JP Cusick
    Mr. Know-it-all, sir.

  10. #90
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: U.S. judge rules Nebraska same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    I just moan and groan the violation of the Church by the State for the purpose of homosexuality.
    yes you are definitely doing that


    now can you back up your claims and provide any evidence and facts supporting them?

    or will you just continue to "in your own words" moan and grown about the falsehood you keep repeating and have poster after poster prove them wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •