Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Back in '84 I was in training near San Antonio when we got something like 14" of snow. Since I grew up in NY I was amused that they pulled us out of the field and shut down operations. A buddy and I headed into town to get a pizza. As we were pulling out of the joint a city bus was sliding down a small hill sideways. Half the faces in the window were terrified and the other half were laughing. It was some top quality entertainment for a day or two.

    -edit-

    Here's a video from then. Man, Texans suck at skiing and tobogganing!

    No road salt, no 4 wheel drive, no infrastructure to clear the roads, and drivers don't know what they're doing.

    Plus in Texas we get more ice than anywhere up north when it freezes over due to the fact that it's warmer most of the time, so you get liquid rain and puddles and all that, then the freeze hits and everything turns to ice.

    I used to live in Chicago and in Denver. You're much safer driving in either of those places in freezing weather than you are in Texas when it freezes. In Chi-town for example, once it gets cold, it STAYS cold. So any precipitation you get in the winter is going to be snow. Ice is rarely a problem. Denver is a little worse.... you can get the random 70 degree day in the winter that melts everything, and then when it freezes back up you have ice.... but I've never seen it as bad there as it is in Dallas, mostly because they know how to clear it in Colorado.

  2. #12
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Be careful out there and hurry up spring!!

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No road salt, no 4 wheel drive, no infrastructure to clear the roads, and drivers don't know what they're doing.

    Plus in Texas we get more ice than anywhere up north when it freezes over due to the fact that it's warmer most of the time, so you get liquid rain and puddles and all that, then the freeze hits and everything turns to ice.

    I used to live in Chicago and in Denver. You're much safer driving in either of those places in freezing weather than you are in Texas when it freezes. In Chi-town for example, once it gets cold, it STAYS cold. So any precipitation you get in the winter is going to be snow. Ice is rarely a problem. Denver is a little worse.... you can get the random 70 degree day in the winter that melts everything, and then when it freezes back up you have ice.... but I've never seen it as bad there as it is in Dallas, mostly because they know how to clear it in Colorado.
    Speaking of no snow removal equipment, when I lived in Boise we got about 8" one day and, believe it or not, they didn't have plows or sand either.

  4. #14
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yeah, I think I got it. It's a sham. First it was "global warming," and now they're trying to move the goalposts.
    Here's the real sham. 97% of 10,000 scientists surveyed state that Climate Change is for real. The remaining 3% have the opportunity to have Climate Denier papers paid for at $10,000 each by Corporate Energy. When 97 out of 100 state a case then the remaining 3 should be allowed to refute. MSM bias gives deniers 50/50 equal time and that translates to a, 50 divided by 3, or a factor of roughly 17 times the actual proportional merit of their argument. In summary, the Climate Denier argument is bogus and can only be bought and paid for to gain such media coverage.

  5. #15
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No road salt, no 4 wheel drive, no infrastructure to clear the roads, and drivers don't know what they're doing.

    Plus in Texas we get more ice than anywhere up north when it freezes over due to the fact that it's warmer most of the time, so you get liquid rain and puddles and all that, then the freeze hits and everything turns to ice.

    I used to live in Chicago and in Denver. You're much safer driving in either of those places in freezing weather than you are in Texas when it freezes. In Chi-town for example, once it gets cold, it STAYS cold. So any precipitation you get in the winter is going to be snow. Ice is rarely a problem. Denver is a little worse.... you can get the random 70 degree day in the winter that melts everything, and then when it freezes back up you have ice.... but I've never seen it as bad there as it is in Dallas, mostly because they know how to clear it in Colorado.
    I've lived in Texas and you forgot to mention that Texans have no idea how to drive on ice. I use to enjoy snow/ice storms when I was there because when they happened, I would park on a high spot near interchanges to watch the sliding, spinning, crashing drama. It was as certain as death and taxes and usually when things are that slippery much of the impacts are converted into more spinning, minimizing injuries. Fun to watch.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Speaking of no snow removal equipment, when I lived in Boise we got about 8" one day and, believe it or not, they didn't have plows or sand either.
    And now your profile says you live in Tucson, so I bet you're reading this by the pool laughing at everyone.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I've lived in Texas and you forgot to mention that Texans have no idea how to drive on ice. I use to enjoy snow/ice storms when I was there because when they happened, I would park on a high spot near interchanges to watch the sliding, spinning, crashing drama. It was as certain as death and taxes and usually when things are that slippery much of the impacts are converted into more spinning, minimizing injuries. Fun to watch.
    I didn't forget to mention that, look at the last part of the first sentence.

    And it's not fun to watch people get in car accidents, that's sick.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Here's the real sham. 97% of 10,000 scientists surveyed state that Climate Change is for real. The remaining 3% have the opportunity to have Climate Denier papers paid for at $10,000 each by Corporate Energy. When 97 out of 100 state a case then the remaining 3 should be allowed to refute. MSM bias gives deniers 50/50 equal time and that translates to a, 50 divided by 3, or a factor of roughly 17 times the actual proportional merit of their argument. In summary, the Climate Denier argument is bogus and can only be bought and paid for to gain such media coverage.
    Link the study pls.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    And now your profile says you live in Tucson, so I bet you're reading this by the pool laughing at everyone.
    Well....I'm actually at the office (leaving soon though!) and I don't have a pool but I am chuckling a little.

  10. #20
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Winter storm brings travel chaos to north Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Link the study pls.
    Cure your own ignorance. That links been published more times that Paris Hilton's been plowed. You can act dumb around your own kind and feel proud of it, but here in the real world you are suggested to sell your oceanfront condo, mos scratchee, don't ya' know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •