Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

  1. #21
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    The GOP is trying hard to prove they're incapable of actually governing. I'd laugh at the incompetence, but this kind of stuff really isn't funny.
    Because the Democrats have done such a wonderful job up to this point haven't they?

    The problem with the US Government, and US Politics for that matter, is how one side sees the impending typhoon that is about the hit and refuses to do anything about it, while the other is bickering to the point where they are paralyzed by their arguments. Incidentally, those two sides aren't exclusively Democrat or Republicans as there's a mix in with both camps.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    What shouldn't surprise me but still does is how little control Boehner has over his own caucus. So in that sense it's expected - he's proving to be pretty incompetent which is nothing new.
    He is at least trying to find a middle ground. Like I said above, you have some in the Republican Caucus (and in the Democrats to be fair) that see the storm coming and are demanding that we do something about it now, while there are many others on both sides that are content to just let things ride out. Also, We wouldn't be in this situations if Obama didn't feel like he had to have it his way and that be it. He could just accept the will of Congress and not use his veto pen you know?

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    They're doing a bang up job Governing here in my home state of Texas.
    Obviously I was talking about at the Federal level since this matter is in front of Congress, not the Texas state legislature.

    You may not know what the word " incompetent " means so Ill help you out with a example.

    Incompetent is coming out and raising the alarm on the chance of terror attacks by home grown " right wing " groups right after ISIS beheads a bunch of Coptic Christians.
    It's also being elected to Congress and not being able to pass a simple funding bill for DHS. It's Boehner getting blindsided by his own caucus, it's his Whip not being able to do the simplest job of counting votes for a key piece of legislation and assuming House democrats are going to bail your sorry rear end out of this mess, etc.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Because the Democrats have done such a wonderful job up to this point haven't they?

    The problem with the US Government, and US Politics for that matter, is how one side sees the impending typhoon that is about the hit and refuses to do anything about it, while the other is bickering to the point where they are paralyzed by their arguments. Incidentally, those two sides aren't exclusively Democrat or Republicans as there's a mix in with both camps.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by typhoon, but I assume it has something to do with spending and debt. I don't really see how this issue relates to that bigger problems. It's immigration that's the stumbling block, and it seems clear we need some kind of rational solution to it.

    He is at least trying to find a middle ground. Like I said above, you have some in the Republican Caucus (and in the Democrats to be fair) that see the storm coming and are demanding that we do something about it now, while there are many others on both sides that are content to just let things ride out. Also, We wouldn't be in this situations if Obama didn't feel like he had to have it his way and that be it. He could just accept the will of Congress and not use his veto pen you know?
    But the will of Congress includes democrats and so far the Senate and House cannot agree on a bill for Obama to veto or not. McConnell has passed what he can get through, and the House is unwilling to recognize that the other body exists and has limits on what it can pass. I read an article this week about a couple of new GOP Senators going to the House to explain the facts of life to some of the fire breathers and they just ignored the lesson.

    And I'm sorry but the Speaker really shouldn't ever bring something to the floor that he doesn't know will pass or not - not at the 11th hour. That's just the most basic part of being a competent speaker with a competent staff. Now Boehner will probably have to work with Pelosi so she can get some of her crew to bail him out.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    And I'm sorry but the Speaker really shouldn't ever bring something to the floor that he doesn't know will pass or not - not at the 11th hour. That's just the most basic part of being a competent speaker with a competent staff. Now Boehner will probably have to work with Pelosi so she can get some of her crew to bail him out.
    And yet we have people who enable these buffoons.

    T minus 5 hours and counting.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #25
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I'm not really sure what you mean by tycoon, but I assume it has something to do with spending and debt. I don't really see how this issue relates to that bigger problems. It's immigration that's the stumbling block, and it seems clear we need some kind of rational solution to it.



    But the will of Congress includes democrats and so far the Senate and House cannot agree on a bill for Obama to veto or not. McConnell has passed what he can get through, and the House is unwilling to recognize that the other body exists and has limits on what it can pass. I read an article this week about a couple of new GOP Senators going to the House to explain the facts of life to some of the fire breathers and they just ignored the lesson.

    And I'm sorry but the Speaker really shouldn't ever bring something to the floor that he doesn't know will pass or not - not at the 11th hour. That's just the most basic part of being a competent speaker with a competent staff. Now Boehner will probably have to work with Pelosi so she can get some of her crew to bail him out.
    I understand it may seem like that immigration is the only issue at play here, but it's not. Not when you are talking about funding a rather large, and some would argue intrusive, branch of the government. And incidentally, no law is every passed these days without all the parties involved already agreeing to everything. That whole process where the two parties hash out a bill and go to a joint committee to find a compromise, that stuff hasn't happened in YEARS. And incidentally, Republicans have only controlled the senate for a couple of months now. And after the poor relations that the Republican House had with the Senate, it's easy to understand why they wouldn't be on the best of terms, just two months into a new congress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    And yet we have people who enable these buffoons.

    T minus 5 hours and counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Obviously I was talking about at the Federal level since this matter is in front of Congress, not the Texas state legislature.

    It's also being elected to Congress and not being able to pass a simple funding bill for DHS. It's Boehner getting blindsided by his own caucus, it's his Whip not being able to do the simplest job of counting votes for a key piece of legislation and assuming House democrats are going to bail your sorry rear end out of this mess, etc.
    I get your all's point about Boehner, but, quick check of facts here, how many Democrats voted for this bill?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I get your all's point about Boehner, but, quick check of facts here, how many Democrats voted for this bill?
    Boehner has plenty of men in his caucus to pass this bill without a single Democratic vote. The Democrats are wisely refusing to play his game.

    Pelosi has made it very clear that if Boehner simply lets the Senate bill come to the floor, her caucus will support it. So a divided Republican caucus would supply more than enough votes.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I understand it may seem like that immigration is the only issue at play here, but it's not. Not when you are talking about funding a rather large, and some would argue intrusive, branch of the government. And incidentally, no law is every passed these days without all the parties involved already agreeing to everything. That whole process where the two parties hash out a bill and go to a joint committee to find a compromise, that stuff hasn't happened in YEARS. And incidentally, Republicans have only controlled the senate for a couple of months now. And after the poor relations that the Republican House had with the Senate, it's easy to understand why they wouldn't be on the best of terms, just two months into a new congress.
    I guess we just see the situation a little differently. And the bottom line is what failed today was a three week funding plan to allow for more negotiations. The hard liners just do not believe in any compromise, but they're in a job where compromise is just a normal part of governing, part of the job description.

  8. #28
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Boehner has plenty of men in his caucus to pass this bill without a single Democratic vote. The Democrats are wisely refusing to play his game.

    Pelosi has made it very clear that if Boehner simply lets the Senate bill come to the floor, her caucus will support it. So a divided Republican caucus would supply more than enough votes.
    Or, if Pelosi really thinks that it's so important to fund the DHS, then she wouldn't be playing chicken and would throw her support behind it. This road travels both ways you know?

  9. #29
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I guess we just see the situation a little differently. And the bottom line is what failed today was a three week funding plan to allow for more negotiations. The hard liners just do not believe in any compromise, but they're in a job where compromise is just a normal part of governing, part of the job description.
    Since when? Look, ten or fifteen years ago then what you said would be completely true. But ever since that first term where the Democrats controlled everything, they set the tone and the Republicans have been more than happy to follow suit. It also doesn't help when Obama won't even meet with Republican leaders. Let me ask you think, If Obama really cared at all what the Reps thought, then why not just put out what he expected in an Immigration Bill, give a six month deadline for them to pass something, and if nothing happened then he could go the unilateral route with the cover that he gave the Reps a chance. No, instead, he just did what he wanted and couldn't care less of the consequences.

    Bottom line, the head of the US Government isn't Boenher, but the POTUS himself, Obama. He could get this done if he were willing to work with the other side but he's not and never has been. Sadly, many Republicans were more than happy to take the same hardline approach the President did, and we are where we are now.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: DHS funding expected to run out as key House vote fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I refer you to my previous answer. Six months should even be enough time for Boehner to hammer out a more long-term solution.



    And this is the kind of insanity that got us in this mess.
    lighten up.. i'm regurgitating the kind of spin/rhetoric that has been commonplace over the last few years.... push me any further, and i'll start chatting about the Democratic parties war on white heterosexual pregnant women in the private sector.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •