Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Isis fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

  1. #1
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Disclaimer: "This has Nothing to do with Islam"...
    Of course, it is ISIS fighters Emulating Mohammed.
    Oh well.

    I realize these aren't lives, but they are Priceless artefacts from Mesopotamia/The Cradle of Civilization.
    Many Assyrian and Akkadian.
    Video within Guardian Link but I will supply another at the bottom of this post from youtube; more easily watched and slightly longer
    The original is said to be 5 minutes.

    Isis fighters destroy ancient artefacts at Mosul museum
    Footage shows Islamic State militants in Iraq smashing statues with sledgehammers in bid to crush what they call non-Islamic ideas
    Video purportedly shows Isis militants drilling and smashing artefacts in Iraq.
    Kareem Shaheen in Beirut
    Thursday 26 February 2015 16.26 EST Last modified on Thursday 26 February 2015 20.00 EST
    Isis fighters destroy ancient artefacts at Mosul museum | World news | The Guardian
    Islamic State militants ransacked Mosul’s central museum, destroying priceless artefacts that are Thousands of years old, in the group’s latest rampage which threatens to upend millennia of coexistence in the Middle East. The destruction of statues and artefacts that date from the Assyrian and Akkadian empires, revealed in a video published by Isis on Thursday, drew ire from the International community and condemnation by activists and minorities that have been attacked by the group. “The birthplace of human civilisation … is being destroyed”, said Kino Gabriel, one of the leaders of the Syriac Military Council – a Christian militia – in a telephone interview with the Guardian from Hassakeh in north-eastern Syria. The destruction took place in Mosul, the Iraqi city that has been under the control of Isis since June when jihadi fighters advanced rapidly across the country’s north. “In front of something like this, we are speechless,” said Gabriel. “Murder of people and destruction is not enough, so even our civilisation and the culture of our people is being destroyed.” The five-minute video, which was released by the “press office of the province of Nineveh [the region around Mosul]”, begins with a Qur’anic verse on idol worship. An Isis representative then speaks to the camera, condemning Assyrians and Akkadians as polytheists, justifying the destruction of the artefacts and statues.

    The man describes the prophet Muhammad’s destruction of idols in Mecca as an Example.
    These statues and idols, these artifacts, if God has ordered its removal, they became worthless to us even if they are worth Billions of dollars,” the man said.
    [.......]
    “When you watch the footage, you feel visceral pain and outrage, like you do when you see human beings hurt,” said Mardean Isaac, an Assyrian writer and member of A Demand for Action, an organisation dedicated to protecting the rights of the Assyrians and other minorities in Syria and Iraq. A caption says the artefacts did not exist in the time of the prophet, and were put on display by “devil worshippers”, a term the militant group has used in the past to describe members of the Yazidi minority. [.......]
    Last edited by mbig; 02-27-15 at 12:33 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #2
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Newsflash: Nobody is saying "this has nothing to do with Islam" so stop with the strawman arguments. What people ARE saying is that "Islam" doesn't explain these people's actions - they're just ****ing nuts. Guess what the people who built that ****ing museum with those ****ing artifacts are in all likelihood Muslim as well. And guess who else destroyed "idols"? That's right, Moses. And Protestants.

    Stop seeing only what you want to see.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    The above is nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with stupid/angry/weak people doing what they are told to do by some whacko in charge of them.

    Religion...humanities stupidest invention.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-27-15 at 12:59 AM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Newsflash: Nobody is saying "this has nothing to do with Islam" so stop with the strawman arguments. What people ARE saying is that "Islam" doesn't explain these people's actions - they're just ****ing nuts. Guess what the people who built that ****ing museum with those ****ing artifacts are in all likelihood Muslim as well. And guess who else destroyed "idols"? That's right, Moses. And Protestants.

    Stop seeing only what you want to see.
    When did Moses lead a raid of a museum and smash historical artifacts? Seriously, I agree with the gist of what you're saying, that we can't blame Muslims for the actions of a crazy few, but the parallels you're drawing are out there.

    Generally, I think we do ourselves a disservice if we fail to realize that this is just the latest wave of Islamic Radicals acting in their usual pattern of craziness. Now it may be that other religions, in the past, had this thorn in their foot as well. I'm not here to argue that.

    The distant past is irrelevant. What's relevant is what's going on today, and the issue lies within a small subset of Muslims. Speaking more broadly, I believe what needs to ultimately happen is like Fareed Zakaria said in a recent op-ed.... Islam needs a reform movement. However, this needs to happen organically and from within. Unfortunately, no signs of anything like that happening soon.

    Like a crying baby on a plane, the rest of us adults simply have to sit back and tolerate it until they grow up and realize what a nuisance they were.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    The above is nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with stupid/angry/weak people doing what they are told to do by some whacko in charge of them.

    Religion...humanities stupidest invention.
    You're painting with too broad of a brush, IMO. Religion is great for some people.

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    I take it that of all the things people are outraged or angry about, the actual acts of ISIS is somewhere near the bottom?

  7. #7
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Newsflash: Nobody is saying "this has nothing to do with Islam" so stop with the strawman arguments. What people ARE saying is that "Islam" doesn't explain these people's actions - they're just ****ing nuts. Guess what the people who built that ****ing museum with those ****ing artifacts are in all likelihood Muslim as well. And guess who else destroyed "idols"? That's right, Moses. And Protestants.

    Stop seeing only what you want to see.
    Like most of your posts, that's Goofy BS.
    I debate people who say Otherwise nearly EVERY DAY!
    (including DA60 who Just, Ironically, Said so right after your post. Oops!)
    And I suggest you just look at my last few/few dozen posts for others.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-27-15 at 01:25 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    When did Moses lead a raid of a museum and smash historical artifacts? Seriously, I agree with the gist of what you're saying, that we can't blame Muslims for the actions of a crazy few, but the parallels you're drawing are out there.

    Generally, I think we do ourselves a disservice if we fail to realize that this is just the latest wave of Islamic Radicals acting in their usual pattern of craziness. Now it may be that other religions, in the past, had this thorn in their foot as well. I'm not here to argue that.

    The distant past is irrelevant. What's relevant is what's going on today, and the issue lies within a small subset of Muslims. Speaking more broadly, I believe what needs to ultimately happen is like Fareed Zakaria said in a recent op-ed.... Islam needs a reform movement. However, this needs to happen organically and from within. Unfortunately, no signs of anything like that happening soon.

    Like a crying baby on a plane, the rest of us adults simply have to sit back and tolerate it until they grow up and realize what a nuisance they were.
    Wow, you really have a borderline obsession/hate on for crying babies?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...airplanes.html

    Let it go.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-27-15 at 01:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Newsflash: Nobody is saying "this has nothing to do with Islam" so stop with the strawman arguments. What people ARE saying is that "Islam" doesn't explain these people's actions - they're just ****ing nuts. Guess what the people who built that ****ing museum with those ****ing artifacts are in all likelihood Muslim as well. And guess who else destroyed "idols"? That's right, Moses. And Protestants.

    Stop seeing only what you want to see.
    In all sincerity, I truly don't understand excusing something like this (or worse, the killings) by saying that they're merely crazy or nuts or whatever. That suggests that they're not responsible for their actions, like how insanity is an actual defense to a crime. People are supposed to have sympathy for the insane. Maybe these guys aren't crazy or insane, maybe they actually are just murderous douchebag assholes.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: ISIS fighters Destroy Ancient Artefacts at Mosul museum

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Wow, you really have a borderline obsession/hate on for crying babies?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...airplanes.html

    What was sad is now getting flat out creepy.

    Let it go. They are innocent babies.
    Sometimes, late at night, I hear them when they're not even there.


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •