Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 268

Thread: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

  1. #81
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,150

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I understand what you are saying. You are wrong. The idea that a business is more accountable to the population than the government, and therefore is somehow more trustworthy, is wrong.
    somebody should be quite embarrassed for even needing that explained to them
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #82
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It also will under price data movement in the net and so lead to reduced investment, slower advance and too much traffic.
    No it won't. Everyone who connects to the internet pays their ISP for a certain upload and download speed. If hypothetically you pay for a 20 megabit per second download rate and a 3 megabit per second upload rate for 20 bucks a month then that is all you are going to get, you will never exceed that speed.It doesn't matter if the website you are viewing has a 1000 or a billion megabit per second upload rate because as long as you are paying for 20 megabit per second download rate your download speed will never exceed 20 megabits per second. If you want it to exceed that speed then you must upgrade your service and pay you ISP for that service.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #83
    User aseidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    132

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I would rather it not had come to this, but it was inevitable. Many of the same people who lament the government becoming involved were the same people who bitched that companies were charging a select group of bandwidth hogs extra to suck up their bandwidth and how that was wrong. Enacting regulations allowing peering charges and tiered servicing is simply a way to avoid a bunch of litigation down the road with courts imposing their will upon the industry.
    My understanding is the government was already involved. The regulations passed today were to replace old regulations that had been successfully challenged by Verizon.

  4. #84
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Over there
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    573

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I would rather it not had come to this, but it was inevitable. Many of the same people who lament the government becoming involved were the same people who bitched that companies were charging a select group of bandwidth hogs extra to suck up their bandwidth and how that was wrong. Enacting regulations allowing peering charges and tiered servicing is simply a way to avoid a bunch of litigation down the road with courts imposing their will upon the industry.
    It would be interesting to learn who was doing the bitching, since that got this administration involved. Nothing happens without a reason.

  5. #85
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post

    1. judging by the ridiculous cost we pay for high speed access, they can figure out some way to keep up with data demands without dividing the internet up into fast and slow lanes.

    2. it's my opinion that some of them own too much of the market, and we'd all be better off if there was a bit more competition.
    I'm not going to talk about the first part of your response because that's just hypothetical. We'll see if It is NN or not that really harms the startups. My guess it will end up being NN itself.

    1. The problem is. It's three sites and really one that's causing trouble. Netflix paid the companies instead of taking them to court for this in the first place! They already have deals in place with the ISPs. I'm not so sure how that relationship will change now.

    2. Yes, but how exactly does the NN legislation prevent monopolies? I don't see that anywhere in any of the reviews!
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  6. #86
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by leoborn View Post
    It would be interesting to learn who was doing the bitching, since that got this administration involved. Nothing happens without a reason.
    Mostly Netflix, then all the other smaller internet sites came on board. It's really an online social movement combined with civil liberty lobbyists that forced this.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  7. #87
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Over there
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    573

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    No it won't. Everyone who connects to the internet pays their ISP for a certain upload and download speed. If hypothetically you pay for a 20 megabit per second download rate and a 3 megabit per second upload rate for 20 bucks a month then that is all you are going to get, you will never exceed that speed.It doesn't matter if the website you are viewing has a 1000 or a billion megabit per second upload rate because as long as you are paying for 20 megabit per second download rate your download speed will never exceed 20 megabits per second. If you want it to exceed that speed then you must upgrade your service and pay you ISP for that service.
    Sounds like it's money at the bottom of this, and the FCC is making the rules for the benefit of the providers. If that's true - it figures!

  8. #88
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    I'm not going to talk about the first part of your response because that's just hypothetical. We'll see if It is NN or not that really harms the startups. My guess it will end up being NN itself.

    1. The problem is. It's three sites and really one that's causing trouble. Netflix paid the companies instead of taking them to court for this in the first place! They already have deals in place with the ISPs. I'm not so sure how that relationship will change now.

    2. Yes, but how exactly does the NN legislation prevent monopolies? I don't see that anywhere in any of the reviews!
    NN discourages monopolies by treating a startup face book or twitter's data the same way that it treats a dominant myspace's data. that's a big part of the equation when a monolith can lose to a startup simply because the startup is considered to be cooler or better in some way.

    and i would argue that a big part of the problem is that ISPs in the US have become so few and so dominant. regulation of the kind of market we have is appropriate, though i would have preferred for congress to pass a law ensuring a neutral internet.

  9. #89
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    NN discourages monopolies by treating a startup face book or twitter's data the same way that it treats a dominant myspace's data. that's a big part of the equation when a monolith can lose to a startup simply because the startup is considered to be cooler or better in some way.

    and i would argue that a big part of the problem is that ISPs in the US have become so few and so dominant. regulation of the kind of market we have is appropriate, though i would have preferred for congress to pass a law ensuring a neutral internet.
    Not really. Netflix was able to afford the whatever price the ISP set. They just didn't want to compress their files making it easier on the ISPs, customers internet, and the spectrum itself etc... It's not a startup. It's a public company with a Billion dollar valuation trading publicly on the stock market. Also Myspace isn't dominant anymore...

    The very basics of how internet traffic works let's you know that NN is just a farce and/or will become obsolete very, very quickly!
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  10. #90
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by leoborn View Post
    Sounds like it's money at the bottom of this, and the FCC is making the rules for the benefit of the providers. If that's true - it figures!
    Basically it's Billion Dollar companies fighting with each other. Just a few Billion dollar companies and their friends were able to use a slick social media campaign to get the majority of the public on their side. Yet no one sees the problem with that
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •