Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 268

Thread: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

  1. #251
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, they don't have to. Breaking them up was your idea, not mine.
    My point was it's an option, but not the only option, which you now acknowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, that is certainly an option and it is one of the potential actions that the FCC can use under Title II to ensure fair competition. It's the sort of option brought about by
    Wrong. Title II doesn't address monopolies nor the break up of a monopoly. Yes Title II does address fair competition - but the FTC would be the entity that would break up a monopoly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Did you have a stroke and forget which side of this argument you are on?
    See I can separate issues such as monopoly from regulation like net neutrality and address the separately unlike yourself, who really doesn't have much experience with any of it.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #252
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    My point was it's an option, but not the only option, which you now acknowledge.

    Wrong. Title II doesn't address monopolies nor the break up of a monopoly. Yes Title II does address fair competition - but the FTC would be the entity that would break up a monopoly.

    See I can separate issues such as monopoly from regulation like net neutrality and address the separately unlike yourself, who really doesn't have much experience with any of it.
    Natural monopoly is a reason net neutrality is important. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I think they're the same thing, or that I ever argued that any option was the only possible options. Forget your side of the argument, you don't even have a clue what my argument is.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #253
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by summer wanderer View Post
    Is Netflix entitled to limitless bandwidth? Is Netflix some crucial piece of infrastructure that needs to be shielded from predatory corporations?

    NETFLIX had NOTHING to do with net neutrality, it was about peers, and direct connections, upstream peers being added for downstream traffic et al.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #254
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Natural monopoly is a reason net neutrality is important. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I think they're the same thing, or that I ever argued that any option was the only possible options. Forget your side of the argument, you don't even have a clue what my argument is.
    I get the idea because you can't seem to differentiate monopoly from net neutrality - they are not the same thing, nor are they addressed by the same areas of government. You don't know what your argument is....

    You glom together monopoly and net neutrality and they don't address the same things. You claim Title II addresses monopoly and it doesn't. You claim the FCC and net neutrality addresses monopoly and they don't. YOU clearly don't have a clue WHAT your argument is nor are educated on the subject matter. Please do so if you want to argue an educated point, assuming you ever find one.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #255
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,010

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Name such a place.
    North Korea. Can we move on now?

  6. #256
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    Go look at the gross profit margin of the internet service that cable companies provide. Given that the cable is installed in order to provide TV, the marginal cost of providing internet service over that cable is VERY low. Some companies achieve a GPM of over 90% on their internet service. This is a very high number and would pay for a lot of people.
    So what??? Why should you or anyone else have ANY say over how much money a company can charge for it's services/goods?? If it's such a horrible thing to make that kind of money, simply start your own ISP that makes only 1% and put them out of business by undercutting thier prices. Also, do you have a source for your claims?
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  7. #257
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I get the idea because you can't seem to differentiate monopoly from net neutrality - they are not the same thing, nor are they addressed by the same areas of government. You don't know what your argument is....
    Really. You just quoted a post where I said the two aren't the same. Yet, for some reason, you insist I think they are the same.

    Elaborate. Quote the particular post that led you to this conclusion, so everyone can see.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #258
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    North Korea. Can we move on now?
    AHahahahahahah.

    Thank you for proving me right. Your insistence was that this regulation would mean that we end up only being able to purchase internet access from the government. Seeing as how this regulation applies to the United States, you would have had to show that there was a place in the US where only the government provided internet access.

    You were unable to do so. Instead, you had to go to North Korea to find an example.

    You still wont pay up. Everyone knows you're not honest enough. $100, it was your own bet. Pay to this forum's operations. A man of his word would do so. Are you such a man?
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-01-15 at 09:40 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #259
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Really. You just quoted a post where I said the two aren't the same. Yet, for some reason, you insist I think they are the same.

    Elaborate. Quote the particular post that led you to this conclusion, so everyone can see.
    Certainly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    Yes, that is certainly an option and it is one of the potential actions that the FCC can use under Title II to ensure fair competition.
    Wrong. Title II does not identify monopoly. Also, the FTC breaks up monopolies, not the FCC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    I didn't say we need to break them up, im saying we need to regulate them.
    You don't regulate a monopoly, which was what was being discussed after I referenced Comcast, yet you then say....

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    But breaking up a company doesn't solve the monopoly issue. There's only one cable line in my neighborhood, only one entity can own it.
    Where you were wrong again - when I cited Bell/AT&T divestiture. Breaking up a company DOES in fact solve the monopoly.


    At this point I figured out you really have no clue as to what's going on. All you know is you want more government control and let me yes, go back to my previous statement where I said you've never met a government regulation you didn't like. ALL inclusive. You don't know the FTC from the FCC, Title II from Title III, competition or fair use / lease, but you sure as heck know that if the government controls it, it must be good in your opinion.

    Take my advice and stop digging now. It'll turn out badly if you let your internet ego get the best of you going forward.
    Last edited by Ockham; 03-01-15 at 10:32 PM.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #260
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,522

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    There is a congressional moratorium on internet taxes still in effect, and the fact sheet released previously specifically states the order will not require internet providers to contribute to the USF.
    Another thing that is so reassuring is that the court ruled that the FCC didn't have the power to do this. So what did they do? They just gave themselves the power. Love when the government does that.

    Oh, good. There is a moratorium. That is backed by what now? A promise by a collection of politicians? I don't think I can think of anything on this earth that is less reliable than that.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •