Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 268

Thread: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Cable companies have started moving to capping bandwidth users of customers. That's directly tying usage to cost. That is by far the most clear way that consumers can gauge the cost and effectiveness of different providers.

    A pricing system where both end users and content providers are charged is a murky pricing structure where the "true" cost of internet bandwidth is difficult to determine.

    In the first system an end user can compare among different internet providers. In the secondary system the end user has no idea what their true cost is. They may be paying an extra 20 dollars a month through various content providers as well as their monthly fee.

    I'm not sure how any market system is benefited from creating a murky cost structure for consumers. We see what has happened in the healthcare industry where we don't directly pay our direct service provider but instead a third party. It's a horrible system.
    total nonsense... No provider has capped bandwtih to any paying customer..

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well yes, the reality is everything right now is HYPOTHETICAL because frankly we:

    1. Don't know the full information within the provision that just got passed
    2. We have no way of actually knowing how they plan on using the provisions we don't know

    So everything people are talking about in this thread is basically based on hypotheticals, whether they're going about acknowledging that as clearly as I did or not. No one knows what was actually passed, nor does anyone know exactly how it's going to be done, so anyone claiming that this is a GOOD or a BAD thing is doing so based on the hypothetical assumptions in their head as to how it will play out.

    Unlike others who seem to be taking a dedicated "this is good" or "this is bad" stance, assuming the hypothetical way they expect this to play out is the only way it will expect out, I decided I wanted to deal with the two broad potential ways I could see it playing out and expressing my views on it based on that. As it stands, I'm simply neutral to the notion of this passage, taking a "I'll wait and see" feeling, because there is plenty of legitimate and plausible factors and bits of context to lead one to think this could easily go either way.


    History tells us this is the frist step to have more and more goverment control... I dont think thats even deabatable and to me there ios zero upside to it..its a farce ..

  3. #123
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This could be good. I think we need true Net Neutrality. But this is the FCC, so who really knows what we'll end up with.
    We will end up with yet another "right" to internet "access" - meaning yet another income redistribution program (mis?)managed at the federal government level.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i don't agree that a non-neutral net would be exactly the same for this site long term. it was basically just a cop out plan the telecom companies cooked up to avoid having to build as much new infrastructure : use the existing infrastructure, but make even more money by giving the big guys a greater chunk of it. **** that.

    it's not just this site. without net neutrality, the next cool thing might not even happen. no way twitter and Facebook could have competed with Myspace if they couldn't afford to buy preferential treatment. do you want to be limited to whatever streaming movie, video, and music sites exist right now because startups can't afford to have their data on the top tier? i don't.

    piss and moan about it all you want. call your representative, and tell him or her to pass a clean bill for net neutrality. or just sit around and post angry things on the internet on a site that can't afford preferential data treatment.
    Well that is the purpose of this site.

  5. #125
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    total nonsense... No provider has capped bandwtih to any paying customer..
    Weird, I just read an article that stated Time Warner has caps and that Comcast is planning to institute the same.

    Comcast, soon to own Time Warner Cable, plans to cap data usage for customers | syracuse.com
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We will end up with yet another "right" to internet "access" - meaning yet another income redistribution program (mis?)managed at the federal government level.
    It already exists. Check your internet bill for rural internet tax.

    (by Tim Devaney, WashingtonTimes.com) – The Federal Communications Commission [last week] overhauled two telephone subsidy programs for low-income Americans while adding a new broadband Internet subsidy.

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Weird, I just read an article that stated Time Warner has caps and that Comcast is planning to institute the same.

    Comcast, soon to own Time Warner Cable, plans to cap data usage for customers | syracuse.com
    We've had that for years. They just dont enforce it.

  8. #128
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well yes, the reality is everything right now is HYPOTHETICAL because frankly we:

    1. Don't know the full information within the provision that just got passed
    2. We have no way of actually knowing how they plan on using the provisions we don't know

    So everything people are talking about in this thread is basically based on hypotheticals, whether they're going about acknowledging that as clearly as I did or not. No one knows what was actually passed, nor does anyone know exactly how it's going to be done, so anyone claiming that this is a GOOD or a BAD thing is doing so based on the hypothetical assumptions in their head as to how it will play out.

    Unlike others who seem to be taking a dedicated "this is good" or "this is bad" stance, assuming the hypothetical way they expect this to play out is the only way it will expect out, I decided I wanted to deal with the two broad potential ways I could see it playing out and expressing my views on it based on that. As it stands, I'm simply neutral to the notion of this passage, taking a "I'll wait and see" feeling, because there is plenty of legitimate and plausible factors and bits of context to lead one to think this could easily go either way.
    I've been operating under the framework provided here:

    https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairma...-open-internet
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Net neutrality doesn't prevent different price structures for different download volumes. Yet again, we see the people against net neutrality often misunderstand what it is.
    We dont know what it does really, because they did it in secret. And this is about MORE than just net neutrality. That is only one of the regulations. They basically nationalized the internet and now they can do pretty much what they want with it.

  10. #130
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We will end up with yet another "right" to internet "access" - meaning yet another income redistribution program (mis?)managed at the federal government level.
    Good morning, ttwtt78640.

    : At this point, it kinda looks that way, but since this will likely be challenged in court, who knows what we'll end up with? I doubt it will be an improvement, though.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •