Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 268

Thread: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

  1. #91
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by leoborn View Post
    Sounds like it's money at the bottom of this, and the FCC is making the rules for the benefit of the providers. If that's true - it figures!
    Why should we care about companies that shield billions in profits from taxes offshore every year having to spend some of that money onshore? The "net neutrality" argument itself is a bunch of BS. The whole idea that is means that a start-up will not be able to compete with Facebook et als because they cannot afford the fast lane is fantasy. A start up is not going to have the traffic and suck up the bandwidth enough to where comcast etc would even bother. By forcing Google and and Facebook to shell out some of the money they rack in dominating the online ad market means that others can be more competitive with them because they would have less money to buy out the competition.

  2. #92
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Why should we care about companies that shield billions in profits from taxes offshore every year having to spend some of that money onshore? The "net neutrality" argument itself is a bunch of BS. The whole idea that is means that a start-up will not be able to compete with Facebook et als because they cannot afford the fast lane is fantasy. A start up is not going to have the traffic and suck up the bandwidth enough to where comcast etc would even bother. By forcing Google and and Facebook to shell out some of the money they rack in dominating the online ad market means that others can be more competitive with them because they would have less money to buy out the competition.
    I'm quite surprised you see it that way, yourself. Aren't you glad it's Title II now? Your position seems to be a conservative one.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    Not really. Netflix was able to afford the whatever price the ISP set. They just didn't want to compress their files making it easier on the ISPs, customers internet, and the spectrum itself etc... It's not a startup. It's a public company with a Billion dollar valuation trading publicly on the stock market. Also Myspace isn't dominant anymore...
    i'm talking about when FB and twitter were able to make that happen. start charging startups a toll to stay out of the slow lane, and it makes it less likely that they will get a foothold.

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    The very basics of how internet traffic works let's you know that NN is just a farce and/or will become obsolete very, very quickly!
    i disagree.

  4. #94
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm talking about when FB and twitter were able to make that happen. start charging startups a toll to stay out of the slow lane, and it makes it less likely that they will get a foothold.
    It's also likely that the FCC will come at those same startups and wonder, "How the heck are you using such crazy amounts of bandwidth?" Kinda like the SEC and stockbrokers, "How the heck are you making Billions of dollars?" If they attract the attention of ISPs they would attract the attention of the government first. One would hope, if the supporters want all of these new regulations to work properly. They, the government WOULD be keeping an eye on these data hoggers and tell them to knock it off. That is the end goal here.

    In fact, there might be future regulations that implement the very thing you are talking about. Startup signs a contract with the government (instead of paying ISP) saying, "I promise not to use this amount of bandwidth." It could even be a universal number. If they do go over that. FCC will fine them. Big Time! I actually see this legislation coming sooner rather than later.

    Either way, everyone is halting right now because all or most of their current contracts are now up for review and no one knows what could happen, change, or be implemented/ignored.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    It's also likely that the FCC will come at those same startups and wonder, "How the heck are you using such crazy amounts of bandwidth?" Kinda like the SEC and stockbrokers, "How the heck are you making Billions of dollars?" If they attract the attention of ISPs they would attract the attention of the government first. One would hope, if the supporters want all of these new regulations to work properly. They, the government WOULD be keeping an eye on these data hoggers and tell them to knock it off. That is the end goal here.
    then pass a clean NN bill, and i will support it. i would prefer that to an FCC regulation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    In fact, there might be future regulations that implement the very thing you are talking about. Startup signs a contract with the government (instead of paying ISP) saying, "I promise not to use this amount of bandwidth." It could even be a universal number. If they do go over that. FCC will fine them. Big Time! I actually see this legislation coming sooner rather than later.
    i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

  6. #96
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,625
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    then pass a clean NN bill, and i will support it. i would prefer that to an FCC regulation.
    I wouldn't call 300+ pages clean but I would have liked to read some of it beforehand...
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  7. #97
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Companies will literally make decisions knowing that more people will die as a result, because that decision improves the bottom line. They will let you die for profit.

    Don't act like business is sufficiently overseen by "the invisible hand." It's horse****.
    So Obama has saved millions of lives around the world because this decision. Wow, just awesome I'm so proud to be American.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    I wouldn't call 300+ pages clean but I would have liked to read some of it beforehand...
    same here.

  9. #99
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    I'm quite surprised you see it that way, yourself. Aren't you glad it's Title II now? Your position seems to be a conservative one.
    You can label it however you want. My position is that I would rather see billionaires fighting each other than bleeding consumers dry. Maybe now the capitalists will actually have to use some of their own money to create capital instead of soaking the consumers for the cost of all the infrastructure improvements.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,465

    Re: FCC adopts Net neutrality rules to ban Internet discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I worry about this decision because from what I've read, there is nothing stopping ISPs from jacking up rates to make up the difference now that they can't charge companies more for faster download speeds. They'll just raise the rate for everyone, and in turn pass it on to the consumer.

    Plus, now that the FCC has control, it is only a matter of time until decency standards are mandated, no cursing, no nudity, etc., just like with network television and radio. Freedom of speech and expression will be stifled.

    This does not sound at all like a good thing to me.
    How would the FCC control that being their jurisdiction would end at the country's border?

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •