Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 290

Thread: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

  1. #171
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Circles back to my original question: If it's so benign, why not opt for full and open disclosure instead?

    I'm not generally a fan of , "If you have nothing to hide..." arguments/questions, but sometimes they are apt. This is an example of where the it would be apt.



    Unfortunately true. Doesn't mean we need to accept them or lower ourselves to their use. I prefer to call them out instead, as they have no legitimate purpose, and only serve to muddy the discussion.
    A more productive line of thinking would involve questions such as "In what ways has title ii utilities led to less freedom and lower quality service in the past?" Anything else is hysteria, imho.

  2. #172
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Who's in your avatar and who's it painted by?
    It is a painting by Rubens, in the baroque style, painted in the early 1600's called "The Head of a Franciscan Monk", currently housed in the Hermitage gallery in St. Petersburg Russia. It's a depiction of a monk of which William of Ockham, my DP namesake, is named after though Ockham lived 300 years earlier in Surrey, England.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #173
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,711

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Yea the one the that Republican SOB Phil Gramm wrote. Ole' Phil is now on the board at UBS bank for his trouble. He should be in jail.
    And Mr. Gramm's name is also on the bill that gutted Glass-Steagall.

  4. #174
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It is a painting by Rubens, in the baroque style, painted in the early 1600's called "The Head of a Franciscan Monk", currently housed in the Hermitage gallery in St. Petersburg Russia. It's a depiction of a monk of which William of Ockham, my DP namesake, is named after though Ockham lived 300 years earlier in Surrey, England.
    Thanks. I collect great art for my image library.

  5. #175
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Thanks. I collect great art for my image library.
    I do like Rubens paintings - you have good taste!
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #176
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,949

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You want Congress involved because they know so much about the internet? They are lucky if they can tie their shoes in the morning. This is a matter for the FCC not the lobbyist tainted Congress.
    not necessarily

    but do i want someone other than appointed government officials to see this, and to make sure we arent getting screwed.......you bet

    this is what some people call the 4th branch now.....

    officials in government with no oversight changing rules, and changing laws.....affecting us all

    i dont believe things were setup to be done this way

    we have a congress and a president for the changing of laws.....

    most of the time, that system works
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #177
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    A more productive line of thinking would involve questions such as "In what ways has title ii utilities led to less freedom and lower quality service in the past?" Anything else is hysteria, imho.
    This presumes the government always defaults to the correct course of action, and that considerations are always honest and without lobbyist or other outside agendized influence, and that "errors" are rare.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #178
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This presumes the government always defaults to the correct course of action, and that considerations are always honest and without lobbyist or other outside agendized influence, and that "errors" are rare.
    No, it doesn't presume the government always defaults to the correct course of action. But when a government does take an action it's prudent to look to precedents of similar actions and whether or not those actions have been shown to cause problems in the past. It's a completely reasonable approach. In all fairness, it's also completely reasonable to ask which, if any, lobbyists were involved in the FCC decision. Were they?

  9. #179
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No, it doesn't presume the government always defaults to the correct course of action. But when a government does take an action it's prudent to look to precedents of similar actions and whether or not those actions have been shown to cause problems in the past. It's a completely reasonable approach. In all fairness, it's also completely reasonable to ask which, if any, lobbyists were involved in the FCC decision. Were they?
    You will disagree, because as you alluded to previously, that's just what we do here at DP, but... by not directly answering the question regarding why it cannot be open and above board, and especially asking what might be wrong as if you think someone kept in the dark would even be able to answer that, you are actually arguing in favor of my point that it should be open and above board. There's no legitimate reason for it not to be, and blindly trusting the government to do right isn't a good counterargument. In fact, it comes off as either naive, or being argumentative simply for the sake of being argumentative.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #180
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Live feed to the FCC vote on Net Neutrality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    its the same thing to Obama and the libs... the raping of our freedoms for their control...
    are you just spouting random catch phrases at this point?

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •