Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Not this Canadian.

    By stopping the Keystone they make the Northern Gateway much more attractive. Northern gateway will only employ Canadians and unlike Keystone thew profits from the sale of the crude will stay in Canada. The project will clear the provincial process and with Harper's Conservatives in power there is no way in hell the eco nuts will stop it. By linking with the existing network Canada can ship anything it wants to west coast ports, including what we now sell to the US for below market rates.

    What Americans don't get is that Keystone was part of the North American energy self sufficiency program dating back to Cater and supported by every president until Obama. We agreed to a minimum supply for oil and gas at below market rates in exchange for access to world markets. Obama is signalling an end to that thinking and what many Canadians are saying is "fine, China pays better" so how about we return to market rates?
    What I don't understand is why Canada has waited so patiently for America to act. It is my understanding that a pipeline that goes to the Western coast will have problems going over some Indian land, is that correct?

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    What did obama offer the gop the last 6 or so years? oh... nothing.
    I don't want to go in to all the times Obama offered to make a deal and was refused. If the GOP really wanted the pipeline they could have offered a deal but the only thing they want is to make Obama look weak and are failing as usual. They will get nothing they want as long as they won't offer anything in return.

  3. #13
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It is Republicans that made this an "issue". Doing international projects like this are not part of Congress's job. What did the GOP offer Obama in exchange for XL? Nothing. That is how important it really is to them.
    Why should they offer anything? That is what is wrong with the political scene today. How about projects and funding for the project stand on its own merits.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Ours don't leak. That's the point.

    Hope you like paying more for heat and light.

    And if your comments reflect the general attitude of our "best friend" I'm all for pulling the plug now, not only on our oil and gas, but the **** we let YOU pipe though OUR land to the lower 48.
    So they only leak when you build them here? Yet another reason to say no.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Republican's Godfather the Koch brothers must be disappointed. So are the Canadians.
    But the Saudis must be pleased.

  6. #16
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I don't want to go in to all the times Obama offered to make a deal and was refused. If the GOP really wanted the pipeline they could have offered a deal but the only thing they want is to make Obama look weak and are failing as usual. They will get nothing they want as long as they won't offer anything in return.
    You mean when he said he wanted to deal and then in the very next breath demeans and insults the Republicans he just claimed he wanted to work with? Yeah, I can't count the times and wouldn't want to go into all of them either.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So they only leak when you build them here? Yet another reason to say no.
    Is that what you've been told? And you believe it?

  8. #18
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Tuesday, as promised, swiftly vetoed a Republican bill approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline, leaving the long-debated project in limbo for another indefinite period.

    The U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, after receiving Obama's veto message, immediately countered by announcing the Republican-led chamber would attempt to override it by March 3.



    Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo | Reuters

    So despite the public by ober 2 to 1 margin wanting the pipeline, Obamas got his pen.
    CNN/ORC Poll: Most Americans Want Keystone Pipeline Built
    Awesome.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Not this Canadian.

    By stopping the Keystone they make the Northern Gateway much more attractive. Northern gateway will only employ Canadians and unlike Keystone thew profits from the sale of the crude will stay in Canada. The project will clear the provincial process and with Harper's Conservatives in power there is no way in hell the eco nuts will stop it. By linking with the existing network Canada can ship anything it wants to west coast ports, including what we now sell to the US for below market rates.

    What Americans don't get is that Keystone was part of the North American energy self sufficiency program dating back to Cater and supported by every president until Obama. We agreed to a minimum supply for oil and gas at below market rates in exchange for access to world markets. Obama is signalling an end to that thinking and what many Canadians are saying is "fine, China pays better" so how about we return to market rates?
    You're right but I'm a Continentalist, to perhaps coin a word, and would like to see prosperity throughout the North American continent with resource sharing here first. This decision is so short-sighted, not to say irrational, that it cannot be easily explained using ordinary common sense. Certainly excuses were made but it seems BHO is actually working against an energy independent America..

  10. #20
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline, leaving it in limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    What I don't understand is why Canada has waited so patiently for America to act. It is my understanding that a pipeline that goes to the Western coast will have problems going over some Indian land, is that correct?
    there is no "Indian land" in Canada. India is a half a world away. LOL We have a higher "Indian" population than we do native in many areas

    It is part of the process. Since land claims are still unsettled, First Nations have lain claim to 3.7 times the land mass of this province, with overlap. because of that you can't build anything without attracting drums, chants and protests, always settled with nice fat leases.

    The problem is the ecos, or was. The last election here the NDP leader, similar to a Democrat there, said he would veto a pipeline that hadn't been officially proposed yet. Let's play Obamagod!
    He forgot that much of his base were unionized truckers, machinists, roughnecks and so forth who stood to make upward of $150,000 a year would object to not having jobs. That leader has since [one year] disappeared from the universe as we know it and the NDP is, well, meeting as we speak in a phone booth.

    But they can delay things, hearings etc., which have already started, the first phase is done.....

    As to the first part, Canada is one tenth the size of the US. Where you have might, Canada must use tact and patience and something you yanks never hear about: "linking". You want to talk about salmon rights etc., let's talk water usage. You want to talk about guaranteed supply? Let's talk about Keystone.

    Also, we have no idea what Obama has been telling Harper. You must remember reports here when Obama was running the first time, him telling Ohio and Michigan audiences he would rip up NAFTA, then telling the Foreign Office that it was campaign rhetoric. So we have no idea whether the dog is barking or whining.

    Also, until the 08 melt down the US represented up to 80% of our trade, which leaves us vulnerable; today it is about 40% or less and most of that is "must have" Like Auto Trade Pact, resources, power etc. So we have less and less to lose, which I don't think Obama has figured out yet.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •