Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 530

Thread: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218, 239]

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    In the context of this thread, the constitution gives the president the clear upper hand on foreign policy. And as such should be consulted before actions are taken. It's not a permission thing as much as a procedural thing. Who doesn't know that JB was giving Obama the gaff on this.
    in the context of this thread, the President is NOT empowered to levy sanctions.. only Congress has that power.
    what is it that is being debated in Congress?...whether or not to levy additional sanctions on Iran.... who did they invited as part of this debate?... Bibi.

    the President has no legal authority to say Bibi can or cannot speak to Congress...period, end of story....he can be butthurt about it, but he has no legal standing.
    the President has no legal authority to tell Congress what they can and cannot do.. or what they will or will not do....
    their is no legal requirement for Congress to have to consult the President about their official duties or powers... period.

    this whole thing is a matter of courtesy... not legality.
    Obama supporters can whine about it on the basis of Congress not showing Obama a courtesy, but they have no legal argument.. not one.

    sooner or later you will have to learn that Obama is a President, not a King.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    in the context of this thread, the President is NOT empowered to levy sanctions.. only Congress has that power.
    what is it that is being debated in Congress?...whether or not to levy additional sanctions on Iran.... who did they invited as part of this debate?... Bibi.

    the President has no legal authority to say Bibi can or cannot speak to Congress...period, end of story....he can be butthurt about it, but he has no legal standing.
    the President has no legal authority to tell Congress what they can and cannot do.. or what they will or will not do....
    their is no legal requirement for Congress to have to consult the President about their official duties or powers... period.

    this whole thing is a matter of courtesy... not legality.
    Obama supporters can whine about it on the basis of Congress not showing Obama a courtesy, but they have no legal argument.. not one.

    sooner or later you will have to learn that Obama is a President, not a King.
    Sanctions!?!?!? I thought we were talking about Bibi coming to congress. Btw, can the president veto a sanctions bill? Remember, the president is the "decider"!
    Last edited by Montecresto; 02-22-15 at 10:28 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Sanctions!?!?!? I thought we were talking about Bibi coming to congress.
    wow... you seriously have no idea what's going on do you?


    U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner on Wednesday invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address Congress on Iran without consulting President Barack Obama, and the White House questioned whether protocol had been violated.

    Setting up a diplomatic showdown on an issue that has sharply divided Obama and congressional Republicans, Boehner announced the invitation the day after Obama pledged in his State of the Union address to veto Iran sanctions legislation being developed in Congress.
    Congress invites Netanyahu for Iran speech, Obama blindsided | Reuters

    bibi.. Iran.. sanctions... Congress.

    is it making sense yet?

  4. #124
    Student
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    277

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Most leftists are strongly anti-Semitic--B. Hussein Obama is a good example. They say it's Israel they don't like, to try to cover their animosity toward Jews in general.
    Yes, I'm a Liberal and proud of it. You, however, are wrong in accusing me of being anti-Semitic.....I don't hate my own species.

  5. #125
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It has escaped you that those powers have been subjugated to the president. Of the last 25 wars the US has fought, which one was declared by congress? It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient. There's theory, and there's practice.

    Have you seen Leon Panetta testifying before congress that the Pentagon will seek authority to go to war from the UN, and then they will inform congress of their intentions.
    lol! The US Constitution is still the supreme law of the land. I know you hate it, except “when expedient”, as all leftists hate the Constitution, because it’s so difficult to amend. That doesn’t mean we ignore it and accept status quo as the supreme law of the land. How foolish your line of logic is.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    Yes, I'm a Liberal and proud of it.
    Too bad. I pray that you may someday see the light.

    You, however, are wrong in accusing me of being anti-Semitic.....I don't hate my own species.
    I referred to B. Hussein Obama and other anti-Semitic leftists in public life, as well as to leftists generally. But it is you who are wrong. I did not accuse you or any other particular poster here of being anti-Semitic, nor would I ever. That would be uncivil and against the rules of this site.

  7. #127
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    in the context of this thread... only Congress can levy sanctions... sanctions are levied by legislation, and we all know where the sole power to legislate resides.

    this is civics 101 stuff.
    I agree.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Ive heard the same explanation from secular jews.
    You seem to think because US Jews are secular in politics and government that they don't have a religious cultural heritage taught to them at a very young age. Yet, you'd be hard pressed to find an American Jewish male in the US that hasn't been circumcised or had a bar mitzvah or doesn't celebrate Jewish religious holidays, especially if they have a family.

    Only 27% say they are unaffiliated.....which means that 71% practice their religion according to their beliefs...which is almost exactly the number that voted for Obama. That would suggest that it's the unaffiliated secular Jews that didn't.


    Q.4 How would you describe your Jewish denomination?

    Total
    Orthodox .................................................. .............................. 10
    Conservative .................................................. ......................... 27
    Reform .................................................. ................................. 32
    Reconstructionist .................................................. .................... 2
    Unaffiliated .................................................. ........................... 27
    Other .................................................. ..................................... 2
    I'm not Jewish .................................................. ......................... -
    (ref:JEWISHID)

    The Jewish Vote in 2012


    Jewish Americans overwhelmingly support a two state solution for Israel and that drives Bibi nuts. Iran barely registers on their radar....


    Q.9 Below is a list of issues facing our country today. Please mark which TWO of these issues are the
    most important for you in deciding your vote in the Presidential election between Barack Obama and Mitt
    Romney.

    Total
    The economy .................................................. ........................ 53
    Health care .................................................. ............................ 32
    Social Security and Medicare .................................................. . 23
    The deficit and government spending ........................................ 20
    Taxes .................................................. .................................... 12
    Israel .................................................. .................................... 10
    Abortion .................................................. ............................... 10
    Terrorism and national security ................................................ 10
    Education .................................................. .............................. 9
    The environment .................................................. .................... 5
    Energy .................................................. ................................... 4
    Illegal immigration .................................................. ................. 4
    Iran .................................................. ....................................... 2
    (Other) .................................................. ................................... 4
    (ref:ISSUES2012)


    Jews have voted as democratic bloc (70%) since the early 1970s and that doesn't look likely to change anytime soon regardless of the scare tactics that Bibi and the GOP throw at them. It seems that most US Jews are by and large 'social democrats' to the core.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    You seem to think because US Jews are secular in politics and government that they don't have a religious cultural heritage taught to them at a very young age. Yet, you'd be hard pressed to find an American Jewish male in the US that hasn't been circumcised or had a bar mitzvah or doesn't celebrate Jewish religious holidays, especially if they have a family.

    Only 27% say they are unaffiliated.....which means that 71% practice their religion according to their beliefs...which is almost exactly the number that voted for Obama. That would suggest that it's the unaffiliated secular Jews that didn't.


    Q.4 How would you describe your Jewish denomination?

    Total
    Orthodox .................................................. .............................. 10
    Conservative .................................................. ......................... 27
    Reform .................................................. ................................. 32
    Reconstructionist .................................................. .................... 2
    Unaffiliated .................................................. ........................... 27
    Other .................................................. ..................................... 2
    I'm not Jewish .................................................. ......................... -
    (ref:JEWISHID)

    The Jewish Vote in 2012


    Jewish Americans overwhelmingly support a two state solution for Israel and that drives Bibi nuts. Iran barely registers on their radar....


    Q.9 Below is a list of issues facing our country today. Please mark which TWO of these issues are the
    most important for you in deciding your vote in the Presidential election between Barack Obama and Mitt
    Romney.

    Total
    The economy .................................................. ........................ 53
    Health care .................................................. ............................ 32
    Social Security and Medicare .................................................. . 23
    The deficit and government spending ........................................ 20
    Taxes .................................................. .................................... 12
    Israel .................................................. .................................... 10
    Abortion .................................................. ............................... 10
    Terrorism and national security ................................................ 10
    Education .................................................. .............................. 9
    The environment .................................................. .................... 5
    Energy .................................................. ................................... 4
    Illegal immigration .................................................. ................. 4
    Iran .................................................. ....................................... 2
    (Other) .................................................. ................................... 4
    (ref:ISSUES2012)


    Jews have voted as democratic bloc (70%) since the early 1970s and that doesn't look likely to change anytime soon regardless of the scare tactics that Bibi and the GOP throw at them. It seems that most US Jews are by and large 'social democrats' to the core.
    Since a very young age? Where did I say that? I said that secular Jews are more likely to be liberal and Im correct. Some findings...
    8 fascinating trends in how American Jews think about Israel - The Washington Post
    A Portrait of Jewish Americans | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
    The real reason why Jews are Liberals
    How Liberalism Destroyed The American Jew | The Federalist
    Rabbi Yoffie, Secular Jews and the Failure of Liberal Theological Imagination*|*Jacques Berlinerblau
    Another Take On Why Jews Vote Democrat - Evan Sayet

  10. #130
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    re: CNN/ORC poll: Majority of Americans oppose Netanyahu invite [W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Most leftists are strongly anti-Semitic--B. Hussein Obama is a good example. They say it's Israel they don't like, to try to cover their animosity toward Jews in general.
    Wonder if that includes the Jews themselves, the bulk of whom identify liberal.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •