Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 286

Thread: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

  1. #241
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Unless it is disinformation?
    Perhaps, but I doubt it.

  2. #242
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Different times, different war, different enemy, different objective.


    The fact that Mosul is mostly Sunni is a bigger problem than announcing a time frame for attack, imo. So really, the only question worth asking, imo, is if the Iraq army is ready, willing and capable to take Mosul and keep it? If ISIS thinks the Iraq army is weak then that could be used to their favor...so says Sun Tzu.


    At least this time, the US seems to know the difference between Sunni and Shia. Not knowing the enemy was US biggest mistake in Iraq...so says Sun Tzu.
    Well, the element of surprise no longer exists, so that's one less advantage they have.

    War is war and the element of surprise never loses its value.w
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, the element of surprise no longer exists, so that's one less advantage they have.

    War is war and the element of surprise never loses its value.w
    Well, maybe the Iraq army will surprise us all and do what they were trained to do.

  4. #244
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Well, maybe the Iraq army will surprise us all and do what they were trained to do.
    Taking advantage of the element of surprise is a part of the package. Obama let those soldiers down by announcing the launch date and organizational information of the offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Taking advantage of the element of surprise is a part of the package. Obama let those soldiers down by announcing the launch date and organizational information of the offensive.
    The best time to attack is in spring because it's too hot in summer. That's not a secret to anyone least of all ISIS. They know the US is training Iraqi military to attack them. So they must've had some clue of an impending attack on Mosul even without the big announcement. It's a mistake to think they're stupid. But I agree, the element of surprise is definitely an asset. But the US still doesn't know who to trust over there so I don't know how a major military campaign using mostly Iraqis to take back a city with a population of 1 million could be kept a secret. Perhaps the surprise will come in the form of a ....nahhh.

  6. #246
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The best time to attack is in spring because it's too hot in summer. That's not a secret to anyone least of all ISIS. They know the US is training Iraqi military to attack them. So they must've had some clue of an impending attack on Mosul even without the big announcement. It's a mistake to think they're stupid. But I agree, the element of surprise is definitely an asset. But the US still doesn't know who to trust over there so I don't know how a major military campaign using mostly Iraqis to take back a city with a population of 1 million could be kept a secret. Perhaps the surprise will come in the form of a ....nahhh.
    The best time for a civilian to attack is the worst time for a soldier to attack.

    Surprise is priceless in war.

    Sure, Mosul may be an obvious target, but you don't confirm those suspicions and give them your time framer and order of battle. That diabolically stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #247
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Well, maybe the Iraq army will surprise us all and do what they were trained to do.
    They didn't do it last time.

    Their leaders should never had been fired. That country seems doomed without us.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  8. #248
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The best time for a civilian to attack is the worst time for a soldier to attack.

    Surprise is priceless in war.

    Sure, Mosul may be an obvious target, but you don't confirm those suspicions and give them your time framer and order of battle. That diabolically stupid.
    I don't understand...what civilian attack?

    Yes, it's great to have surprise, but if you don't have it then you have to do something else. So what something else do you think they should do?

    Here's how I sorta envision the battle for Mosul: The US goes in first with a bombing campaign to take out their armored weapons such as tanks, trucks and whatnot. Soften them up so to speak. Meanwhile, ISIS are going to rig IEDs all over the city and hide among the civilians. Then the Iraq military moves in for the search and kill backed up by NATO or US air support. That's going to take awhile. Meanwhile, the Kurds guard the northern western borders to keep ISIS from escaping in that direction and the US guards the main roads to the east and south toward Baghdad to keep them from escaping in that direction. Easy peasy. lol jk

  9. #249
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I don't understand...what civilian attack?
    Civilians are typically unfamiliar with what Liddel Hart called, "the indirect approach", which refers to attacking at a time and places that the enemy least expects. Your suggestion that attacking during optimum weather conditions violates that premise.

    Yes, it's great to have surprise, but if you don't have it then you have to do something else. So what something else do you think they should do?
    They shouldn't have broadcast their ****ing intentions!

    Here's how I sorta envision the battle for Mosul: The US goes in first with a bombing campaign to take out their armored weapons such as tanks, trucks and whatnot. Soften them up so to speak. Meanwhile, ISIS are going to rig IEDs all over the city and hide among the civilians. Then the Iraq military moves in for the search and kill backed up by NATO or US air support. That's going to take awhile. Meanwhile, the Kurds guard the northern western borders to keep ISIS from escaping in that direction and the US guards the main roads to the east and south toward Baghdad to keep them from escaping in that direction. Easy peasy. lol jk
    I'm glad you're kidding, because that's quite an idiotic scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: U.S. Announces Plan for Massive Counter-ISIS Attack [W:228]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Civilians are typically unfamiliar with what Liddel Hart called, "the indirect approach", which refers to attacking at a time and places that the enemy least expects. Your suggestion that attacking during optimum weather conditions violates that premise.
    The Iraq Invasion was planned for March and the whole world knew about it months in advance. So what did Liddel Hart have to say about that?

    They shouldn't have broadcast their ****ing intentions!
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Suppose it was a fake announcement and they attack next week instead of next month or don't attack at all and just hold siege to the city. Would that be a surprise?


    I'm glad you're kidding, because that's quite an idiotic scenario.
    Well, it was basically the Iraq invasion in a nut shell.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •