Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 327

Thread: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

  1. #41
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    A low income worker obviously consumes more in government subsidies, hence, giving low wage workers a raise should lower the amount of government subsidies.

    Shouldn't it?
    Than one who is unemployed?

  2. #42
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Than one who is unemployed?
    No, but we aren't talking about unemployed people are we? And Walmart didn't just announce a massive layoff did they?

    But nice strawman.
    Last edited by imagep; 02-20-15 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #43
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So we can expect to pay lower taxes now that WalMart's done this?
    You could expect that if I was in charge, but that's probably not realistic as long as republicans control congress. Republicans only cut taxes after increasing spending, not decreasing spending (ie Reagan, W Bush).
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #44
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by KLATTU View Post
    I believe you are mostly correct.
    And what would you say is the reason for that?
    The privatisation of profit combined with the socialisation of bankster debt.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #45
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I hope they raise their prices accordingly now to offset the increased payroll expenses.
    They might decide to do that, or they might decide to keep competing with other retailers for customers based upon price. I suspect that they will decide to stay price competitive so that their bottom line doesn't fall.

    There is really little connection between operating costs and end price, other than the operating cost creates a floor price. Companies typically don't price goods at the floor price because that would prohibit a profit. Generally companies price goods at what they feel is the profit maximizing price.

    I see no reason why Walmart would chose to recoup the cost by increasing their price above the profit maximizing price, as that would necessarily result in lower profits, which of course would defeat the purpose.

    But thanks for allowing me to give you my short version of my lecture on price theory.
    Last edited by imagep; 02-20-15 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    They might decide to do that, or they might decide to keep competing with other retailers for customers based upon price. I suspect that they will decide to stay price competitive so that their bottom line doesn't fall.
    didn't they make like $18B in profit a year ago?

  7. #47
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I am not experiencing that here in CT. My company has a factory here with a largely undegreed work force. Full time, benefits and a decent wage with bonuses.
    regardless of what you experience, most new jobs are part time, not full time..
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #48
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    They might decide to do that, or they might decide to keep competing with other retailers for customers based upon price. I suspect that they will decide to stay price competitive so that their bottom line doesn't fall.

    There is really little connection between operating costs and end price, other than the operating cost creates a floor price. Companies typically don't price goods at the floor price because that would prohibit a profit. Generally companies price goods at what they feel is the profit maximizing price.

    I see no reason why Walmart would chose to recoup the cost by increasing their price above the profit maximizing price, as that would necessarily result in lower profits, which of course would defeat the purpose.

    But thanks for allowing me to give you my short version of my lecture on price theory.
    Right wingers have faith in the absurd notion that business are keeping prices low and so they believe businesses can raise prices at will. Rational people know that businesses already are pricing their products at the level which produces the most profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #49
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    didn't they make like $18B in profit a year ago?
    I dunno, but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Regardless, I'm sure that they strive to price at what they believe to be their profit maximizing price. Price and cost aren't really closely related, other than to establish a floor price, and when companies have very large profits, it would seem to me that they have probably done a good job of determining the profit maximizing price, so they would have little reason to increase or to reduce price based upon operating costs since operating costs have nothing to do with selecting the profit maximizing price.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Both on line and through ABC news we learn that walmart has capitulated:


    Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise


    For some time in these discussions about walmart abuses and organizing drives I predicted that the pressure would defeat them. Within a year the starting wage at walmart will be $10 an hour. This will of course increase the strength of the organizing drive and have a good effect on the drives for Mcdonald's as well.

    Nice work.
    Ah! Now I know why the self-check out areas at the local Walmarts have been doubled lately. And why fewer checkout lanes have been being maned.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •