Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 327

Thread: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    The proof is in the pudding, everybody knows it. So I'm not messin with you anymore.

    Goodbye
    there is no pudding here.... there is only you failing to provide substantiation for you opinion.... as usual.

    you are basically the only person alive who is arguing Walmart has been forced to capitulate.... you are that special snowflake.

  2. #232
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,645

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    which has nothing to do with how business actually run themselves.
    however I have asked for him to define living wage.

    is it 10-20-30-40-50 dollars an hour?

    what is it, and how do you expect businesses to pay people that are not worth that skill wise that kinda of money?
    the whole entire living wage argument is a joke. just because you work doesn't mean you earn 20 bucks an hour.

    a bag boy at the grocery store doesn't have the skills required to earn more than 7.25 an hour. the job just doesn't call for it.

  3. #233
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,645

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    This country will always have need of low skilled workers for the service sector. There are also trades jobs that cannot be contracted out. The argument comes with what you're going to pay such workers and walmart has decided that for now $10 an hour is okay. We cannot have a country wherein low skilled labor lives in huddles of poverty because the market wants to keep them poor.
    they keep themselves poor for not having any other skills to get paid more. it isn't that hard to figure out.
    before I graduated with my 2 year I was making 5.15 an hour.
    when I got my 2 year I start entry lvl making 12.45
    I got my 4 year
    I started entry lvl at about 13.
    after a few promotions I was making 16.
    I got another promotion and now I am making way more than that.

    I didn't get it waiting on someone to go poor you. you have no skill but here is a big pay check anyway.
    you want more money then go do something to get it.

  4. #234
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,645

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    There a;ways going to need shelf stockers and cashiers, do you have any PhDs in mind for the jobs? There also plenty of of educated people out of work these days, so $7.25 an hour is good enough for them too eh?
    yep and they are going to get paid 7.25 an hour because that is all their job calls for. they are ENTRY level NO SKILL jobs for a reason.
    they are there for people that have no skills and need work, however due to that fact the pay is low.

    making 7.25 an hour is better than making 0. been there did that. found a better job.

  5. #235
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    they keep themselves poor for not having any other skills to get paid more. it isn't that hard to figure out.
    before I graduated with my 2 year I was making 5.15 an hour.
    when I got my 2 year I start entry lvl making 12.45
    I got my 4 year
    I started entry lvl at about 13.
    after a few promotions I was making 16.
    I got another promotion and now I am making way more than that.

    I didn't get it waiting on someone to go poor you. you have no skill but here is a big pay check anyway.
    you want more money then go do something to get it.
    First, you realize of course that after you got your BA you only making $2 more than what the walmart workers are going to make right?

    Secondly, there will always be a segment of society of what are referred to as low skilled workers and keeping them in poverty says nothing about this country. Everybody has a chance by any legal means to make it America.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  6. #236
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yep and they are going to get paid 7.25 an hour because that is all their job calls for. they are ENTRY level NO SKILL jobs for a reason.
    they are there for people that have no skills and need work, however due to that fact the pay is low.

    making 7.25 an hour is better than making 0. been there did that. found a better job.
    With high unemployment (an employer's market) the wages are set and too many adults with kids are out looking for work and that's $1267 a month. For a high school kid that's great, but too many adults have pushed the kids out of work. You can't make it on that mind of money. The only thing to do is force the American economy to save the American economy and that's what's happening at walmart right now.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #237
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,645

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    First, you realize of course that after you got your BA you only making $2 more than what the walmart workers are going to make right?

    Secondly, there will always be a segment of society of what are referred to as low skilled workers and keeping them in poverty says nothing about this country. Everybody has a chance by any legal means to make it America.
    everyone has to start somewhere, but now I am making way more. once I learned the system it took me 6 months to get a promotion which is the least amount of time possible.
    yep and they choose not to take it.

  8. #238
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    everyone has to start somewhere, but now I am making way more. once I learned the system it took me 6 months to get a promotion which is the least amount of time possible.
    yep and they choose not to take it.
    You've ignored everything I said.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #239
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,645

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    With high unemployment (an employer's market) the wages are set and too many adults with kids are out looking for work and that's $1267 a month. For a high school kid that's great, but too many adults have pushed the kids out of work. You can't make it on that mind of money. The only thing to do is force the American economy to save the American economy and that's what's happening at walmart right now.
    not really because walmart and other companies will adjust their prices accordingly in order to maintain their profit %.
    so cool they get a small raise but then everything around that goes up as well making it less than what they thought it would be.

    so really while walmart might pay their people a bit more. they can reduce hours etc and other companies are not going to have to do that either.
    not everyone can afford 10 dollars for someone to bag groceries at the store.

  10. #240
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    not really because walmart and other companies will adjust their prices accordingly in order to maintain their profit %.
    so cool they get a small raise but then everything around that goes up as well making it less than what they thought it would be.

    so really while walmart might pay their people a bit more. they can reduce hours etc and other companies are not going to have to do that either.
    not everyone can afford 10 dollars for someone to bag groceries at the store.
    walmart has plenty of money to fill such a small space. They're not going to cut off their nose to spite their face. They will reduce hours quite probably, but that will only make the organizing drive that much stronger.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •