Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 327

Thread: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

  1. #141
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,866

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    What makes you think that She made poor choices? We don't know anything about Het life situation or circumstances. At this moment in her life, Her circumstances and situation might dictate that she needs temporary assistance. If her employer was paying her enough to Cover the bare-bones minimum, then I wouldn't have to pick up the tab for the rest of the rent. She's working at the dollar store, why am I paying part of her rent?
    I have no idea what this person's predicament is due to. But I do know overwhelmingly those on government subsidizes, entitlements are because of poor life choices. Whether it be not finishing their 12 years of government provided public schooling by choice or not seeking further jobs training, to having children out of wedlock they had no possible way to provide. Today we live in an all time high record of babies being born out of wedlock and no fathers around to provide for them. We also live in a time when divorce is at an all time high resulting in poverty. Drug addiction has become another problem. All poor choices that taxpayers seem to be hung out to dry to provide for those who have failed to provide for themselves. It has gotten to the point a low middle class family of 4, both parents working and paying taxes does with less than a single mom with two kids on government subsidies. All I am saying it isn't the corporation's fault nor should it be the majority who are responsible be responsible for them and it is time personal responsibility be re-instated.
    Last edited by vesper; 02-20-15 at 09:55 PM.

  2. #142
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I have no idea what this person's predicament is due to. But I do know overwhelmingly those on government subsidizes, entitlements are because of poor life choices. Whether it be not finishing their 12 years of government provided public schooling by choice or not seeking further jobs training, to having children out of wedlock they had no possible way to provide. Today we live in an all time high record of babies being born out of wedlock and no fathers around to provide for them. We also live in a time when divorce is at an all time high resulting in poverty. Drug addiction has become another problem. All poor choices that taxpayers seem to be hung out to dry to provide for those who have failed to provide for themselves. It has gotten to the point a low middle class family of 4, both parents working and paying taxes does with less than a single mom with two kids on government subsidies. All I am saying it isn't the corporation's fault nor should it be the majority who are responsible responsibility and it is time personal responsibility be re-instated.
    You're full of crap, She could be in a situation that is no fault of her own. She could be a single mother where the Father walked out on her and She has no other means except to collect temporary welfare while she's attending night school. Maybe She's an orphan, who the hell knows. But the point is, that if Her wage was in alignment with what it costs to live in this town, then You and Me wouldn't be paying Her rent and buying Her food.

  3. #143
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You seem to be confused.
    Not at all.

    First of all, it was you who was dismissed.
    Yea by you. And you have yet to respond with anything other than blinded accusations.

    Secondly, what you provided had nothing to do with our exchange.
    No. you claimed I held my opinion based off little to no reasoning. I then posted a study that backs up my opinion with factual information, and several studies.

    Let me remind you.
    Yep! What you said was; My ..., my ..., (my) ..., not Berkeley ..., Berkeley ..., Berkeley.
    What about it?

    As for the article you provided citing Berkeley.
    this is what we call a logical fallacy. This one you are holding is called "poisoning the well". Its a variation of an ad hominem

    Entry level wages were never meant to survive on.
    And frankly the consumer should not be saddled with any price increase because greedy unskilled workers want more than they are worth.
    What exactly do you and others not understand about that?
    Hmm.. I find this very funny of you. You hold the exact opposite of my opinion, but you say my opinion "fanciful imagination."

    So back to your original nonsensical statement. You haven't shown they deserve any such thing. Or didn't you know there is a difference between deserve and desire?
    Except I did, but you dismissed it.


  4. #144
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What's a livable wage?
    Someone who works 40 hours a week, with no additional income, should be able to afford the necessary basics for quality of life, health care, transport, food, shelter, utilities, and minimal recreation.


  5. #145
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Someone who works 40 hours a week, with no additional income, should be able to afford the necessary basics for quality of life, health care, transport, food, shelter, utilities, and minimal recreation.
    I'm not even figuring in recreation, I'm just thinking bare-bones cheapest apartment, food and transportation money, that's not much to ask for, yeah but I agree with you and see where you're coming from.

  6. #146
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,866

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    You're full of crap, She could be in a situation that is no fault of her own. She could be a single mother where the Father walked out on her and She has no other means except to collect temporary welfare while she's attending night school. Maybe She's an orphan, who the hell knows. But the point is, that if Her wage was in alignment with what it costs to live in this town, then You and Me wouldn't be paying Her rent and buying Her food.
    I am not full of crap I stated I have no way of knowing why this woman is in the predicament she is. Period. What I did state that the majority who are dependent on government subsidies and entitlements are due to poor life choices. That's the facts pal.

    We have a safety net to encompass those who are in need. Unfortunately it has been abused to include anyone who screws up their life by choice and then expects everyone else to provide for them. Didn't save for retirement? No problem, let mama government take care of your needs. Didn't take your birthcontrol before engaging in sexual activity. No problem your child has Uncle Sam to provide for it. Didn't finish your government provided education? So what, those paying taxes will be more than glad to give you a roof over your head, keep the heat on and take care of you from cradle to grave.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,277

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Right wingers have faith in the absurd notion that business are keeping prices low and so they believe businesses can raise prices at will. Rational people know that businesses already are pricing their products at the level which produces the most profit.
    No we have great faith in the free market principles that the left so greatly misunderstands and laments.

  8. #148
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    No we have great faith in the free market principles that the left so greatly misunderstands and laments.
    Free market = Most who work for living make a dollar an hour, or put another way, 'Right Wing wet dream' but if the "free-market" deems it so then your pay will be increased up to two dollars an hour.
    Last edited by HenryChinaski; 02-20-15 at 10:55 PM.

  9. #149
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    That's exactly what I've been saying! There need some sort of regulation of a standard that individuals make at least the bare minimum to get by for basic necessities where they live without having to rely on My money.
    The isn't the "fair wage" really what it takes to survive in the worst area in the jurisdiction , in this case the nation, and then it becomes the responsibility of the state and local governments to t impose a wage higher than that upon their area? If so, isn't that really stacking the deck in favor of one city over the other? If so, is that an acceptable arrangement even if it is your employer that decides to move from Cleveland to San Antonio or wherever because workers will work cheaper?

    The last time I looked there was like a total of 240ish economic dead zones in the US, many of which were dead zones before the .recession came and the last MW increase went onto checks that are still that way. Doesn't raising MW suck more money out of those areas than it injects into them if your MW worker is shopping at Walmart, or online at Amazon, or at any of the many big box places whose revenues leave the community much faster than it enters it?

    Is there a better way to lift boats than through wage floors because it sounds good? Isn't this really macro blurring of systemic and growing micro problems? Isn't what we need some kind of localized solution instead of some kind of one-sized fit all national solution.? I think so, I am just not sure the best way to go about doing it.

  10. #150
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Walmart Gives 500,000 Workers A Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    The isn't the "fair wage" really what it takes to survive in the worst area in the jurisdiction , in this case the nation, and then it becomes the responsibility of the state and local governments to t impose a wage higher than that upon their area? If so, isn't that really stacking the deck in favor of one city over the other? If so, is that an acceptable arrangement even if it is your employer that decides to move from Cleveland to San Antonio or wherever because workers will work cheaper?

    The last time I looked there was like a total of 240ish economic dead zones in the US, many of which were dead zones before the .recession came and the last MW increase went onto checks that are still that way. Doesn't raising MW suck more money out of those areas than it injects into them if your MW worker is shopping at Walmart, or online at Amazon, or at any of the many big box places whose revenues leave the community much faster than it enters it?

    Is there a better way to lift boats than through wage floors because it sounds good? Isn't this really macro blurring of systemic and growing micro problems? Isn't what we need some kind of localized solution instead of some kind of one-sized fit all national solution.? I think so, I am just not sure the best way to go about doing it.
    It seems simple in my view, if the employer is paying a bare minimum that has been deemed necessary in order to survive wherever that employee is working, City, region, whatever, then the worker who is collecting those wages doesn't need My money to cover the rest of the rent and/or weekly food bill. They can cover the bare bones needs and We taxpayers save dough.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •