Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #731
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So she shouldn't have skipped work - she should have gone to work that day and said mean things to them about their lifestyle that for whatever reason she doesn't condone?
    Yes.

    That would have made all the difference in the world to this couple, is that right?
    Probably not. There aren't too many acceptable explanations for discrimination based on bigotry.

    I'd explain further, but I said more in the post above, which you ignored of course because you're determined to miss the entire point.

  2. #732
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The fact that it wasn't to begin with is why the couple is sharing their story with others, to help others avoid a similar situation with this particular doctor.
    It seems they're doing the doctor a favor by diverting people she doesn't want to treat.

  3. #733
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Yes.



    Probably not. There aren't too many acceptable explanations for discrimination based on bigotry.

    I'd explain further, but I said more in the post above, which you ignored of course because you're determined to miss the entire point.
    So she should have gone to work that day just so she could tell the couple why she doesn't approve of their marriage. Of course. Does this couple want everyone's opinion on their marriage, or just their baby's doctor? Do they make a habit of seeking out people's opinions of their marriage or relationship?

    I haven't missed any point.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #734
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    You can't correct something if no one is willing to voice any concerns, conversely, you can't get something done if no one is willing to come forward and present compelling arguments for why a change needs to be made. I find it somewhat ironic that on a message board specifically designed with that concept in mind, we often devolve into rhetorical, illogical attacks on the others ideas. I think if someone has a silly argument, or inarticulate, or illogical, it is the responsibility of the members here to present a more compelling rebuttal, but do it a respectful manner without impugning or otherwise inferring motives.

    There are many legitimate reasons for someone to be put off by homosexual lifestyles, religious expression being but one of them, but like any other character trait, we should be able to choose with whom we associate, and I think that ultimately that was the intent of the founding Fathers.
    I agree with much of what you said. And in fact many of us have been trying to take the case beyond the facts and circumstances in the OP. You say we should be able to choose with whom we associate. I would agree with that in many cases, not in others. You're really talking about a right, and if there is a right to free association then it's either an unrestricted right or we have to discuss limits on that right. In this case the doctor turned a patient away because the parents were lesbians, and the child was seen in the same practice - no big deal. But if a doctor has the right to turn patients away based on sexual orientation, they have that right if they're an ER doc, or the only pediatrician within 50 miles, or the only one on that family's insurance, and in case of emergency or near emergency. But if the response to this case is - hey, the baby got seen, BFD - then it's impossible to have any further discussion on where society (laws) should draw lines around this right to associate.

    And the fact is this right to associate has a face and a history - the South through the 1960s at least. And there's a good reason laws that allowed for discrimination in the market place were overturned - they imposed a great harm on the people discriminated against. So if someone wants to defend this right to associate, real life examples of that era are applicable. Is it OK to turn away a family from a hotel if the nearest one is 200 yards? 2 miles? 100 miles in a snowstorm? Those things matter - not because they're the norm, but if we are willing to defend this right, either we defend it when it DOES impose great harm against discriminated groups, or we draw legal lines around it, and limit the right.

    Finally, there is little chance of widespread bigotry in the market place causing large scale problems. But the reasons for that are 1) lots of places have laws against it, and 2) it's no longer publicly acceptable to be a bigot and discriminate. And part of the process is publicizing cases like this, and people expressing their vehement disapproval. So even if you think the market will take care of the problem, it will do so only because the actions of bigots are publicly and widely condemned.

  5. #735
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So she should have gone to work that day just so she could tell the couple why she doesn't approve of their marriage. Of course. Does this couple want everyone's opinion on their marriage, or just their baby's doctor?
    It's actually fun watching how far you'll go to avoid addressing any relevant point.

    No, see the problem was the doctor refused to see the baby, and the reason GIVEN was the doctor doesn't approve of lesbians. In my view, the honorable thing to do when declining to see a patient because of bigotry is to explain that decision to the affected family. In your view, the coward's way out - stay home and let someone else explain your decision - is AOK. I guess we disagree on this!

    Do they make a habit of seeking out people's opinions of their marriage or relationship?
    Well, to the extent that other people might have discriminated against them, I guess they do. Not because they care about their opinion, but that these other bigots refuse them service because they're lesbians.

    In much the same way, it's doubtful blacks in Alabama in 1950 sought out the race views of, say, white restaurant owners. But they would care (then and now!) if and when the restaurant refuses them service BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK - i.e. when the person's views translate to discrimination in the market place. It's an obvious point to nearly everyone but you.

    I haven't missed any point.
    You've missed dozens of them.

  6. #736
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's actually fun watching how far you'll go to avoid addressing any relevant point.

    No, see the problem was the doctor refused to see the baby, and the reason GIVEN was the doctor doesn't approve of lesbians. In my view, the honorable thing to do when declining to see a patient because of bigotry is to explain that decision to the affected family. In your view, the coward's way out - stay home and let someone else explain your decision - is AOK. I guess we disagree on this!



    Well, to the extent that other people might have discriminated against them, I guess they do. Not because they care about their opinion, but that these other bigots refuse them service because they're lesbians.

    In much the same way, it's doubtful blacks in Alabama in 1950 sought out the race views of, say, white restaurant owners. But they would care (then and now!) if and when the restaurant refuses them service BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK - i.e. when the person's views translate to discrimination in the market place. It's an obvious point to nearly everyone but you.



    You've missed dozens of them.
    Ah, I see now. You think it's better to tell someone to her face that you don't approve of her choice of spouse. Well, then I suggest you make sure your doctor isn't a coward and you won't have this same tragedy befall you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #737
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Ah, I see now. You think it's better to tell someone to her face that you don't approve of her choice of spouse. Well, then I suggest you make sure your doctor isn't a coward and you won't have this same tragedy befall you.
    LOL - I have to commend your herculean efforts to miss the point.

    My doctor's views about my spouse become relevant when he/she decides to discriminate against me - drop me as a patient - based on my choice of spouse. Otherwise, I don't care what he/she thinks, and I doubt the women would either. But if he/she drops me as a patient, yes, I'd expect him or her to have the professional courtesy to explain why and not pawn that off to a secretary or one of their colleagues.

    And the doctor made a decision based on her deeply held beliefs, and she skipped work and let some other person explain to the couple why HER deeply held beliefs wouldn't allow her to see the couple's child. I can't imagine defending that choice.

    I manage a piece of commercial rental property for my mother in law. We regularly get calls from businesses that we don't want in the building - mainly cash advance outfits and pawn shops, but we did have an "adult" sex store make a serious inquiry. I didn't avoid their calls or make up BS reasons, I called them and told them no, and here's why. It's just an exercise in common business and professional courtesy - and quite simple to do. They might not have liked the answer, but I am sure they preferred the direct approach over me ignoring their calls or having our handyman down there explain why my me and my mother in law declined to do business with them.

  8. #738
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You've missed dozens of them.
    That she has. Initially I put it down to her being distracted, but given how often she avoids getting the point it has to be deliberate.

  9. #739
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    From the OP article
    As it turns out, Roi has free choice too - the American Medical Association says physicians cannot refuse to care for patients based on sexual orientation, but doctors can refuse treatment if it's incompatible with their personal, religious or moral beliefs.
    The doctors rights can not be trampled on, religious freedom is guaranteed by the first amendment of the constitution.

    I do think she could have handle the situation more gracefully.

  10. #740
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    `
    The AMA has had a policy that homosexuals must be treated according to the oath the physicians took. It does not allow for religious exemptions - AMA Policies on LGBT Issues. Make no mistake about it, physicians who violate the AMA rules have also violated their sacred "Hippocratic Oath" for the sake of political and so-called religious convenience.

    While neither are legally binding, just like a soldier who refuses to refuses to fight for his country as per the oath they took, so are these doctors forsaking a solemn oath they took and should be treated with no less contempt.

Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •