Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #631
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Then you would be wrong, because the likelihood of both is absolutely zero.
    The point is not a country run entirely as a theocracy but the damage that results from even isolated manifestations of such bigotry as that of this doctor.

  2. #632
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Then you would be wrong, because the likelihood of both is absolutely zero.
    Mathematically you are absolutely incorrect. The likelihood is small to that I concede. But Zombies don't exist so yes ZERO.

    Christians Do. Zealous Christians do. Zealous Christians in Office do. So the possibility is there. Mathematically speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  3. #633
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Then you would be wrong, because the likelihood of both is absolutely zero.
    It seems that many on the right would sure like to enshrine xtian dogma into our laws. However, in our current pluralistic society, you are probably right that they won't be able to take over the country.

    But as mentioned, in small rural towns, there may not be many options. My town has 3,000 people in it; the county has 20,000 people in it. We must have at least 20 churches in the county - maybe more. As far as I know, they are all xtian of some variety or another.

    If our doctors ever refused to take care of someone - or their child- due to their beliefs, it's a long way to another doctor...

    Luckily I'm in California; and most of the doctors come from other areas in the state; so at least so far not a problem. But I know a local friend of mine who happens to be transgender is always very concerned about finding doctors willing and able to work with her on medical issues.

    Let's hope it continues to not be a problem in our country. I don't want any theology - sharia or xtian - taking over.

  4. #634
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    You tied to excuse the bigotry because she may have taken a different version or different oath as a physician. Now when asked if you know any that would condone it, it becomes irrelevant or more like you are fresh out of excuses?
    Get off my ass, Prometeus. What I did was correct a factual misstatement. I have offered no opinion whatsoever on the OP; I merely corrected the very common misconception that physicians routinely take the Hippocratic Oath these days when many do not.

  5. #635
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Get off my ass, Prometeus.
    Please do not delude yourself, I have do desire to get on your ass in any way shape or form.

    What I did was correct a factual misstatement.
    No, you did not. You attempted, but the fact is that physicians today take an oath which is for all practical purposes the equivalent of the Hippocratic oath, and not a single on condones such bigotry. So the refusal to see the infant is a clear violation of such oaths.

    I have offered no opinion whatsoever on the OP
    Not directly you did not, but your attempted correction, speak volumes also.

  6. #636
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    I don't think you understand why physicians so often choose not to take the Hippocratic Oath. I'll leave it to you to research this. What you're trying to do is suck me into a discussion I don't wish to have. I have made no comment on this particular physician's decision, and my sole purpose in posting on this thread was to correct a very common misconception. What your agenda is here with me I can't guess, but you need to find somebody else to bait.

  7. #637
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,991

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    The issues we have include:
    > judging the baby for the lifestyles of the mothers
    > Does this doctor also refuse to see babies of divorced parents, or single mothers, or unmarried couples? those are probably also against her religion. If she sees babies of those parents, she's a hypocrite through and through (which, of course, she can be - we're just calling her out on it)
    > The mothers chose that doctor; maybe there was a reason. Was the substitute doctor as good? As knowledgeable about the circumstances?

    In this case, there was another doctor; in a more rural area, there might not have been one.

    No one is saying the doctor has to approve of the lifestyles of the mothers. What we are saying is that, having agreed to provide medical care to the baby, it was crappy of her to back out last minute (as far as the mothers were concerned - they had no knowledge of it till the appt).

    You say there is nothing to see. We say we see a lousy doctor.
    1. Nobody judged the baby
    2. Rhetorical and irrelevant questions - you have to ask her who she sees, and your "probably against her religion" is sheer supposition on your part considering nobody knows her religion
    3. The "substitute" doctor was one of this doctor's partners, and is a Board Certified MD; if she isn't qualified to do a baby wellness check, then someone would know this by now

    This wasn't in a rural area. This was one doctor in a group practice asking another doctor in the group practice to cover a baby wellness exam for her.

    She didn't agree to provide medical care to the baby. She works for a group practice. The group practice agreed to take on the child as a patient. We don't have a constitutional right to see the doctor of our choice in a group practice. Their feelings were hurt, and then went to social media to share their hurt feelings with everyone they can.

    Meanwhile, the baby got the wellness check that day which was the reason they brought her to the doctor's office.

    You don't see a lousy doctor. Unless you take your kids to her, you have no idea what kind of doctor she is to make that statement. You see someone who hurt the feelings of adults. That happens every day. Not everyone is going to like you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #638
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Mathematically you are absolutely incorrect. The likelihood is small to that I concede. But Zombies don't exist so yes ZERO.

    Christians Do. Zealous Christians do. Zealous Christians in Office do. So the possibility is there. Mathematically speaking.
    If a radical Christian takeover of the entire medical field is something you feel you need to worry about, knock yourself out.

  9. #639
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    But as mentioned, in small rural towns, there may not be many options. My town has 3,000 people in it; the county has 20,000 people in it. We must have at least 20 churches in the county - maybe more. As far as I know, they are all xtian of some variety or another.

    If our doctors ever refused to take care of someone - or their child- due to their beliefs, it's a long way to another doctor...
    Yes, that's certainly not a good position to be in, but at the same time, not the fault of the doctor. I'm guessing that if this doctor were the only one available for miles around, she might have made a different choice than she did.

  10. #640
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I don't think you understand why physicians so often choose not to take the Hippocratic Oath.
    Now that IS irrelevant.

    What you're trying to do is suck me into
    Is this some sort of fetish for you? First the ass think now the sucking...

    and my sole purpose in posting on this thread was to correct a very common misconception.
    Is that why you dismissed Pete's premise that the doctor's license should be revoked?

    What your agenda is here with me I can't guess, but you need to find somebody else to bait.
    And there you go again with the innuendos.

Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •