Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #611
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    S.O.L. is a bit hyperbolic, isn't it.

    The couple had their feelings hurt but still walked in and saw a doctor.
    There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #612
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    S.O.L. is a bit hyperbolic, isn't it.

    The couple had their feelings hurt but still walked in and saw a doctor.
    Well I suppose because fortunately people have wide variety of positions on controversial politics regarding sexuality.

    But in theory, if every doctor was a devout christian it would be an issue. It's the thought of "What if American was the country most Christians want it to be" A country that does everything by the book - that holy book.

    It's a scary thought.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 02-23-15 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  3. #613
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What you want me to do is join you in the outrage that this doctor doesn't approve of the lifestyle of these women, and I won't. Not everyone has to like or associate with everyone else. The baby got care, at the same time and the same place that the original doctor was supposed to provide the care. There is nothing to see here.
    The issues we have include:
    > judging the baby for the lifestyles of the mothers
    > Does this doctor also refuse to see babies of divorced parents, or single mothers, or unmarried couples? those are probably also against her religion. If she sees babies of those parents, she's a hypocrite through and through (which, of course, she can be - we're just calling her out on it)
    > The mothers chose that doctor; maybe there was a reason. Was the substitute doctor as good? As knowledgeable about the circumstances?

    In this case, there was another doctor; in a more rural area, there might not have been one.

    No one is saying the doctor has to approve of the lifestyles of the mothers. What we are saying is that, having agreed to provide medical care to the baby, it was crappy of her to back out last minute (as far as the mothers were concerned - they had no knowledge of it till the appt).

    You say there is nothing to see. We say we see a lousy doctor.

  4. #614
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Well I suppose because fortunately people have wide variety of positions on controversial politics regarding sexuality.

    But in theory, if every doctor was a devout christian it would be an issue. It's the thought of "What if American was the country most Christians want it to be" A country does everything by the book - that holy book.

    It's a scary thought.
    good point. What if all doctors were like this?

  5. #615
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,191

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread.
    And denials, much like yours.

  6. #616
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,191

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    It is astounding the level of denials and inability to see what this kind of discrimination can lead to.

  7. #617
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Well I suppose because fortunately people have wide variety of positions on controversial politics regarding sexuality.

    But in theory, if every doctor was a devout christian it would be an issue. It's the thought of "What if American was the country most Christians want it to be" A country that does everything by the book - that holy book.

    It's a scary thought.
    I think it's probably far more accurate to say what you think "most Christians want" is really what you want most Christians to want.

    I suspect Christians are mostly like everyone else and have a wide variety of beliefs. I also suspect your average "devout Christian" doctor wouldn't care all that much about the sexuality of the parents. I certainly think the doctor behaved foolish but I suppose that's his right.

  8. #618
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    I think it's probably far more accurate to say what you think "most Christians want" is really what you want most Christians to want.

    I suspect Christians are mostly like everyone else and have a wide variety of beliefs. I also suspect your average "devout Christian" doctor wouldn't care all that much about the sexuality of the parents. I certainly think the doctor behaved foolish but I suppose that's his right.

    What i think most Christians want is based entirely on my experiences with them as a gay man myself and also my experience with them on these forums.

    It's enough evidence, anecdotal though it may be, to give credence to any misgivings that I have for a hypothetical world were everyone in power is a devout christian.

    We don't all live in large populated cities. Some small towns only have a few doctors - it would be a shame for someone to be stranded in area where the only doctors who are available are legally able to refuse you service because you "lifestyle" is contrary to their dearly held beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  9. #619
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    What i think most Christians want is based entirely on my experiences with them as a gay man myself and also my experience with them on these forums.

    It's enough evidence, anecdotal though it may be, to give credence to any misgivings that I have for a hypothetical world were everyone in power is a devout christian.

    We don't all live in large populated cities. Some small towns only have a few doctors - it would be a shame for someone to be stranded in area where the only doctors who are available are legally able to refuse you service because you "lifestyle" is contrary to their dearly held beliefs.
    Sure but all that depends on your horribly extremist views of Christianity, so I don't think there's too much to worry about.

  10. #620
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    Sure but all that depends on your horribly extremist views of Christianity, so I don't think there's too much to worry about.
    RAmfel, Bob Bayloc, Palecon, Logic man <--- only a few names is what is a very large population of extreme hateful christians that run rampant on the interwebs, the westboro baptist church, entire websites dedicated to curing gays, gay conversion therapy often run by abrahamic religious facilities, the list goes on- Yeah, you'll have to forgive me for my totally unreasonable fear of a country run by zealous Christians.

    Because there is no precedence at all to go off of.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •