Page 48 of 84 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #471
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is that a rhetorical question?

    I already said it:

    She wasn't being treated equally.
    And neither were these parents
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #472
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,918

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, and my opinion of the law isn't relevant to this story. This is the same reason I don't wander into the abortion section. Hypotheticals and emotion take over and there is no more rational posting.

    Nobody was harmed here. Nobody was hurt. I don't agree with the doctor's beliefs but I also don't agree with those of you who are demanding that she put her beliefs aside for no particular reason other than "what if?".
    Not sure if this was posted - 46 pages to read thru so....
    This little nugget was surprising. Underlined.

    Doctors weigh morals, ethics in decisions on refusing services - amednews.com
    Take, for example, the familiar religious prohibition on blood transfusions, a critical part of the morality of Jehovah's Witnesses. While we are generally used to thinking of Witnesses who refuse blood as patients, it is less well-known that Jehovah's Witness doctors are prohibited from administering transfusions, even to patients who are non-Witnesses, and even if the blood is needed to save the patient's life.

    To my knowledge, no one defends a Jehovah's Witness doctor's right to refuse, on the basis of conscience, to administer blood to an exsanguinating non-Witness patient. Among the Witness doctors I have questioned, the consensus is to avoid being alone and on duty in any setting where patients needing transfusions might present. If necessary, they would summon another health care professional to do the procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  3. #473
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There was harm done. Segregation is harmful to all of us.
    Not really, but that makes for some good soundbytes.

  4. #474
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is that a rhetorical question?

    I already said it:

    She wasn't being treated equally. She was being ordered to move to a section of the bus against her wishes.
    But there were other seats, right?

    Her wishes didnt matter. Neither did the lesbian couple's.

    THere were other seats....what was the harm?

    The application of 'equality' had to be established here, for this incident with RP, by the courts. Before that, she was just being asked to take another seat.

    And as has been written many times, that is what will now be examined by the courts regarding the incident of the doctor telling the parents to take their baby down the hall to another doctor. The broader recognition of a harmful (to society) pattern.

    I know you wont bother to recognize it here....I dont mind. The fact that you avoided RN's direct question about a very applicable example with the bi-racial baby shows you are pretty much out of steam on this. I can rely on my signature below, in green.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #475
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    This is a great opportunity to be the Gay Doc! Think of all the money one could make just healing the gay folk! Just don't have Obama care because some doctors won't take it.. does that also make them bigots?

  6. #476
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You can laugh if you want. Claudette Colvin is the first one to have a bus incident. The media just preferred Rosa Parks.
    Who is Claudette Colvin?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #477
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Not really, but that makes for some good soundbytes.
    So insisting that a substantial group of people in the US consistently be given 2nd class and/or separate accommodations like back rows, balconies, etc isnt harmful? Constantly reinforcing that that group is less important, less a part of society, and their needs are secondary to another groups'....harmless to society?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #478
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    This sounds disturbing. Also, this seems odd. The infant isn't gay. How can this be allowed?

  9. #479
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    But there were other seats, right?

    Her wishes didnt matter. Neither did the lesbian couple's.

    THere were other seats....what was the harm?

    The application of 'equality' had to be established here, for this incident with RP, by the courts. Before that, she was just being asked to take another seat.

    And as has been written many times, that is what will now be examined by the courts regarding the incident of the doctor telling the parents to take their baby down the hall to another doctor. The broader recognition of a harmful (to society) pattern.

    I know you wont bother to recognize it here....I dont mind. The fact that you avoided RN's direct question about a very applicable example with the bi-racial baby shows you are pretty much out of steam on this. I can rely on my signature below, in green.
    Okay, so you think Rosa Parks wasn't treated unfairly? I'd like to understand your point.

    Who is "RN"? And who's talking about a bi-racial baby? This baby wasn't bi-racial.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #480
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Not sure if this was posted - 46 pages to read thru so....
    This little nugget was surprising. Underlined.

    Doctors weigh morals, ethics in decisions on refusing services - amednews.com
    Take, for example, the familiar religious prohibition on blood transfusions, a critical part of the morality of Jehovah's Witnesses. While we are generally used to thinking of Witnesses who refuse blood as patients, it is less well-known that Jehovah's Witness doctors are prohibited from administering transfusions, even to patients who are non-Witnesses, and even if the blood is needed to save the patient's life.

    To my knowledge, no one defends a Jehovah's Witness doctor's right to refuse, on the basis of conscience, to administer blood to an exsanguinating non-Witness patient. Among the Witness doctors I have questioned, the consensus is to avoid being alone and on duty in any setting where patients needing transfusions might present. If necessary, they would summon another health care professional to do the procedure.
    I'll admit to knowing almost exactly nothing about Jehovah's Witnesses, or their beliefs. I don't know anything about what their doctors think.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 48 of 84 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •