Page 45 of 84 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #441
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't have a problem with doctors in a group practice sharing responsibility for patients. I don't care about which hygienist in my dentist's group practice cleans my teeth every 6 months. They're on a rotation. I don't care which doctor has to see me if my own doctor is home sick. In other words, I don't go to doctors or dentists or any medical provider to be accepted or liked. I go to get care, and if I don't like the person, or I don't like the care, I go elsewhere. You seem to think I'm crazy because I don't share your outrage that this baby was seen by another doctor in a group practice. I don't.
    I assume most people don't care, to start (although most people do prefer to built histories with routine doctors -- saves time re-stating your history). But you're basically saying there should be no limit on what they can pass the buck over, which may ultimately end in a person being refused service from anyone. Yes, that's crazy.

  2. #442
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    More logically, re: Rosa Parks, we can look at one woman on a bus and one bus driver. She was asked to move to another seat....at the back. No harm would have been done for her to move to the back of the bus. One person, one incident, no harm. Totally meaningless, right?

    Others have attempted to make this issue clear on this type of basis, I dont see the point of more detail because apparently either it's meaningless or it's irrelevant to the OP and would be dismissed.
    Rosa Parks? Okay, I'll play the Rosa Parks hypothetical, but that won't stop me from laughing at this being compared to the Rosa Parks story.

    Let's see. Rosa Parks paid for a bus ticket. Same as the white people on the bus did. Their ticket allowed them to sit wherever they wanted. Hers didn't. She wasn't being treated equally. She was being ordered to move to a section of the bus against her wishes. She refused to do it.

    Okay, and that has to do with the baby being seen by the doctor's partner....how again?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #443
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    They already do, what's wrong with you? But to do so for a patient that is in need of immediate medical treatment is indeed unprofessional and against the law. That wasn't the case here.
    Since when? I've never been asked what I do for a living.

    Should people just do a bunch of forms for every possible circumstance of their life the doctor may be bigoted against?

  4. #444
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    That's actually my biggest issue with this person at this point. She comes across as supremely unprofessional and as a coward to boot. She couldn't be bothered to tell them face to face that she would not take their baby as a patient after all, had one of her colleagues do her dirty work for her and it took 4 months for her to apologize to them.
    Maybe the apology or how to sort that aspect out was not part of her prayers and it came to her later, when her bigotry was being known by more and more people. Self serving apologies are always the best.

  5. #445
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I assume most people don't care, to start (although most people do prefer to built histories with routine doctors -- saves time re-stating your history). But you're basically saying there should be no limit on what they can pass the buck over, which may ultimately end in a person being refused service from anyone. Yes, that's crazy.
    Fine, then pass a law that says nobody in any profession is allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason, and the consumer can demand service whether the provider chooses to provide it or not. Period. That sounds fair.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #446
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Rosa Parks? Okay, I'll play the Rosa Parks hypothetical, but that won't stop me from laughing at this being compared to the Rosa Parks story.

    Let's see. Rosa Parks paid for a bus ticket. Same as the white people on the bus did. Their ticket allowed them to sit wherever they wanted. Hers didn't. She wasn't being treated equally. She was being ordered to move to a section of the bus against her wishes. She refused to do it.

    Okay, and that has to do with the baby being seen by the doctor's partner....how again?
    How about this? Doctor believes mixed race couples go against God and the children are "harmed" from the rejection they face. Doctor tells parents only after making the appointment that he cannot see a mixed race child based on his personal religious beliefs. Illegal discrimination or not? Why?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #447
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You're still confused. The legal basis for laws is not a matter of opinion.

    It's a matter of law
    You keep shifting the frame of your argument without seeing that I'm not arguing. The origin of all laws start with someone's opinion of how something should be (in their opinion). When there is a critical mass, laws are passed. Clearly many people on this thread are upset that the law and the medical community support the actions of this physician. Their solution--there should be a law forcing the physician to do something. My solution--market forces will decide the fate of this physician.

  8. #448
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    How about this? Doctor believes mixed race couples go against God and the children are "harmed" from the rejection they face. Doctor tells parents only after making the appointment that he cannot see a mixed race child based on his personal religious beliefs. Illegal discrimination or not? Why?
    Why are you asking me what's illegal or not? I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one. You should ask an attorney that question.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #449
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Doctors can reject patients if they are on Medicaid, or Medicare, why should any other reason not be valid? They can reject patients for almost any reason, except in emergency situations. As a doctor, you indeed get to pick your clients.

    Tim-
    No, they can refuse to accept Medicaid/Medicare in the first place, which is readily stated in any information in print or online about the hospital, unlike whether or not any of the doctors are bigots. In the former case, it's a service they don't offer to begin with. In the later case, it's a service they claim to offer without caveat, which they arbitrarily refuse to offer if the doctor you just so happen to run into is a bigot.

    However, I think America's health care system is broken in general, so you certainly won't see me claiming it's ok that hospitals reject patients on assistance (often the elderly and children, unbelievably), or for any reason at all, really. It's insane that America doesn't have single-payer.

  10. #450
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Why are you asking me what's illegal or not? I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one. You should ask an attorney that question.
    Actually, I'm asking your opinion of the law. Should it be illegal to discriminate?

    I already know it is illegal to discriminate based on the scenario I gave.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 45 of 84 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •