Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #431
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    There was no possibility of nobody being able to see this baby in that group practice unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.
    There was always the possibility, because there was a possibility of everyone but her getting sick or even everyone in the office getting sick that day. There is also the possibility that only the other doctor who actually agreed to take her patient had a family emergency that day. There was always the possibility that the other doctors, all of them, could have refused to take the lesbian mothers' baby as a patient based on the same objections she had. Those are all possible. They may not have been probable to happen, but still possible.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #432
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Please provide the exact Amendment.
    The First and all the resconstruction amendments. EVERY SCOTUS decision on race in the modern century.

  3. #433
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Who knows, but why should they be entitled to her services simply because they are lesbians?
    You are missing the point, by a mile. The doctor has seen them already, set up the appointment, did not even tell them that she is backing out. They only found out whey they showed up for the appointment.

  4. #434
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Who knows, but why should they be entitled to her services simply because they are lesbians? If a physician believes they can't provide the highest quality of care to someone due to certain factors then the responsible thing is to have them seen by someone else. It's not much different from practitioners referring someone elsewhere for abortion services or those who are unwilling to see drug addicts or other patient populations they may not be able to establish a proper relationship with.

    This issue is being blown up way out of proportion, likely due to this special rights movement of LGBTQ entitlement with blatant disrespect of the rights and beliefs of others who may have issues with it.
    That bolded part is very logical and well written.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #435
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're throwing spaghetti at the wall. Patients see one doctor in the group regularly BECAUSE that develops the necessary doctor/patient relationship. And no, because they signed with the group.

    Wow, all this nonsense just to avoid actually googling protected classes. Here ya go, you can stop twisting now:

    Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You don't seem to understand the difference between a constitutionally sound law (like the ERA) and an actual constitutional protection (such as freedom of speech, religion, equal protection of the laws, etc.).

    I am well aware of what a protected class is in relation to the ERA. That was never in contention. The problem is that you are claiming that the Constitution protects people from discrimination based on those things in relation to private businesses or people. That is what is not true. The 14th only protects people from having laws made that would treat them unequally due to those reasons and many more without some sort of ability to show a state interest of some kind is furthered. There is no constitutional protection that says no one can ever deny you service in their private, open to the public business based on your race, religion, etc. What there is is a law, that has been found to not violate any constitutional provisions/rights guarantees, which says people cannot discriminate in their businesses based on those things. This law can be changed or even repealed without going through the same requirements as amending the US Constitution because it is not a part of that Constitution. In fact, the most likely change that will happen is to include sexuality/sexual orientation as a protected class, something that has come up a few times in the last few years. A change in Congress within the next decade, and we very likely will see this.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #436
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Physician felt she couldn't provide the best care...
    Just to emphasize, there is a tremendous difference between not being able to provide the best care because lack of expertise, experience, familiarity with a condition, lack of equipment and so one, but bigotry is something that should never be part of the equation. Personal feelings are supposed to be overcome by true professionals.

  7. #437
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The First and all the resconstruction amendments. EVERY SCOTUS decision on race in the modern century.
    No. You are wrong on this. Please recheck your information. There is a difference between a constitutional protection and a law that is constitutionally sound. Public Accommodation laws are not constitutionally protected. They can be repealed by a simple process of passing laws in Congress and via the President, simple majority. These deal with open to the public businesses and them not being allowed to use those classes to deny service to people.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #438
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There was always the possibility, because there was a possibility of everyone but her getting sick or even everyone in the office getting sick that day. There is also the possibility that only the other doctor who actually agreed to take her patient had a family emergency that day. There was always the possibility that the other doctors, all of them, could have refused to take the lesbian mothers' baby as a patient based on the same objections she had. Those are all possible. They may not have been probable to happen, but still possible.
    OMG, for crying out loud, there was a possibility that the parents could have won Powerball and chartered a flight to Tahiti and brought along their own doctor for the wellness check too. Stop imagining things.

    If she asked her fellow doctor to see the baby, and her fellow doctor saw the baby, you imagining things that didn't happen is nothing but your imagination.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #439
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Religion and race are protected by constitutional amendment
    And sexual orientation by SCOTUS decision.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    You are missing the point, by a mile. The doctor has seen them already, set up the appointment, did not even tell them that she is backing out. They only found out whey they showed up for the appointment.
    That's actually my biggest issue with this person at this point. She comes across as supremely unprofessional and as a coward to boot. She couldn't be bothered to tell them face to face that she would not take their baby as a patient after all, had one of her colleagues do her dirty work for her and it took 4 months for her to apologize to them.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •