Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #421
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Many of those states have PA laws that also protect based on sexuality.

    The SCOTUS has said the ERA is constitutional, not that those are constitutionally protected rights. There is a difference. The ERA could be easily repealed by a simple vote of Congress and Presidential approval, and its done. No more protection of people from discrimination by businesses/individuals based on things like religion or race. While those things could be still protected from unequal treatment under the law, they would not be protected from private individuals discriminating against them based on those traits.
    No, you didn't even take two seconds to look up protected clasess did you? Religion and race are protected by constitutional amendment, federally. And if you can't find ERA verbiage in any state's constitutions you just plain have not looked.

  2. #422
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Who knows, but why should they be entitled to her services simply because they are lesbians? If a physician believes they can't provide the highest quality of care to someone due to certain factors then the responsible thing is to have them seen by someone else. It's not much different from practitioners referring someone elsewhere for abortion services or those who are unwilling to see drug addicts or other patient populations they may not be able to establish a proper relationship with. This issue is being blown up way out of proportion, likely due to this special rights movement of LGBTQ entitlement with blatant disrespect of the rights and beliefs of others who may have issues with it.
    Bull hockey... why should a child be turned away because the doctor doesn't agree with the lifestyle of the parents? Don't doctors take an oath? Seems some wish to put their feelings ahead of healing those in need of such service.

    Citing a personal short coming of the doctor to justify a refusal to serve is justifying a bigotry, not supporting the doctor's belief...

    What if the doctor didn't believe in interracial marriage? Or care for socialists, liberals, folks who don't wish to be married but have children?

    The ONLY reason the doctor can attempt this is the law hasn't caught up with equality. Soon the doctor's action will be illegal, and that will be a good day...

  3. #423
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Bull hockey... why should a child be turned away because the doctor doesn't agree with the lifestyle of the parents? Don't doctors take an oath? Seems some wish to put their feelings ahead of healing those in need of such service.

    Citing a personal short coming of the doctor to justify a refusal to serve is justifying a bigotry, not supporting the doctor's belief...

    What if the doctor didn't believe in interracial marriage? Or care for socialists, liberals, folks who don't wish to be married but have children?

    The ONLY reason the doctor can attempt this is the law hasn't caught up with equality. Soon the doctor's action will be illegal, and that will be a good day...
    Oh lord, please read the thread first. Everything you just brought up has already been answered, multiple times.

  4. #424
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    You think doctors should be able to reject patients because they don't like the patient's job?

    What is wrong with you?
    Doctors can reject patients if they are on Medicaid, or Medicare, why should any other reason not be valid? They can reject patients for almost any reason, except in emergency situations. As a doctor, you indeed get to pick your clients.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #425
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    First, google protected classes and do your own damn homework. Second, you so obviously don't know or understand how medical groups work. The parents are signed on as patients of the GROUP. They may be seen/assigned to a particular doctor in the group, but if that doctor is unavailable FOR ANY REASON, they are seen by another from the group.

    Look, it's blindingly clear you are just pissed because this one doctor didn't approve of the gay parents and she should be horsewhipped at high noon for the gross violation of having a religion that doesn't comport with your beliefs.
    Yes, I do know how they work. I'm in one. We still have a regularly assigned doctor for us. Just as these parents went to this doctor and she agreed to be the pediatrician for their baby. While it was always possible that she might not be available for them, this was not the case here. She is refusing to see them due to a completely different reason.

    Plus, you have just essentially destroyed her own reasoning here. If they were likely to see other doctors, then how would she develop a necessary doctor/patient/parent relationship with them? Why would it be necessary if she wasn't likely to see them or was going to refuse to see them all along, from them signing on with that group?

    Also, you are the one that doesn't understand the way ERA works. It is not in itself a Constitutional protection. It is a protection that is constitutionally sound.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #426
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, you didn't even take two seconds to look up protected clasess did you? Religion and race are protected by constitutional amendment, federally. And if you can't find ERA verbiage in any state's constitutions you just plain have not looked.
    Please provide the exact Amendment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #427
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Do you understand what possibility means? Yes, it was possible that the child might not have been seen that day due to her refusal to see the child based on the sexual orientation of the parents. We don't know what she would have done had her colleague refused to see the baby, whether due to already being booked or agreeing with the first doctor. There is nothing in the story that says that the doctor would have seen the child had the other doctor refused. But along with this, the doctor had already agreed to take the baby as a new patient of hers (prenatal), and even if she had seen the child this time, the possibility does exist that had she simply told them that that was the only appointment she could see them, she couldn't possibly know that the couple could then find someone else to see them, again whether due to other doctors having too may patients or due to their own religious objections.

    Possibility is different than probability.
    There was no possibility of nobody being able to see this baby in that group practice unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #428
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh lord, please read the thread first. Everything you just brought up has already been answered, multiple times.
    LMAO... sit back down clown... you ain't a mod and I get to exercise my right to speak, even to repeat what has been said before... you'd have a full time job going from thread to thread whining about repeats... but of course you are quite selective on when you whine...

    It has been replied to, but answered is a matter of opinion... and not a firmly based opinion IMO.... but of course those who defend the doctor's shameful act think it is being blown out of proportion by special interests... as if!!!

    Course the same whiners would think equal rights for all races was being blown out of proportion at Selma by special interests groups... 100 years AFTER the end of the Civil War....

  9. #429
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And?

    Okay, let's play the hypothetical game. I want to discuss this slippery slope. Barack Obama has forced me to buy health insurance or else I have to pay a penalty. Before he leaves office, he's going to force me to buy a hybrid car or pay a penalty, because he can. A mentally compromised kid whose mother had guns went to a school and shot some innocent children with her guns, so we should take guns away from everyone with kids because this could now become a weekly occurrence.

    That was fun.

    So is this thread about hypotheticals and what may happen? Then you're right, I'm in the wrong thread. I'm posting about the very minor incident here that has people all jacked up.
    More logically, re: Rosa Parks, we can look at one woman on a bus and one bus driver. She was asked to move to another seat....at the back. No harm would have been done for her to move to the back of the bus. One person, one incident, no harm. Totally meaningless, right?

    Others have attempted to make this issue clear on this type of basis, I dont see the point of more detail because apparently either it's meaningless or it's irrelevant to the OP and would be dismissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #430
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, I do know how they work. I'm in one. We still have a regularly assigned doctor for us. Just as these parents went to this doctor and she agreed to be the pediatrician for their baby. While it was always possible that she might not be available for them, this was not the case here. She is refusing to see them due to a completely different reason.

    Plus, you have just essentially destroyed her own reasoning here. If they were likely to see other doctors, then how would she develop a necessary doctor/patient/parent relationship with them? Why would it be necessary if she wasn't likely to see them or was going to refuse to see them all along, from them signing on with that group?

    Also, you are the one that doesn't understand the way ERA works. It is not in itself a Constitutional protection. It is a protection that is constitutionally sound.
    You're throwing spaghetti at the wall. Patients see one doctor in the group regularly BECAUSE that develops the necessary doctor/patient relationship. And no, because they signed with the group.

    Wow, all this nonsense just to avoid actually googling protected classes. Here ya go, you can stop twisting now:

    Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •