Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #391
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The purpose of the discrimination laws were to prevent people from being refused service, and from being harmed. This baby was not harmed, and the couple received the exact same service that the next set of parents got for their child.
    The possibility of harm was still present and didn't occur only because of other circumstances. No harm is truly being caused to patrons of a restaurant for being refused service because they are a mixed race couple. No physical harm is actually caused from a teacher insisting she not have to teach black students or boys or Christians right?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #392
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I hope you know I agree with you. In other words, I don't believe, "It worked out fine IN THIS CASE" is a legitimate defense of this doctor.

    At least those resting on principle (the libertarian one - no one is owed anyone else's labor) have a clear position. The rest saying it was OK here because another doctor took the child are just saying something along the lines of 'people have a right to discriminate, unless it harms someone' which isn't saying much IMO. Shorthand for that is "separate but equal."
    Yes, I know that but I was being facetious in order to make the point that this situation is about segregation, which most here do not seem to be getting.

    Our legal and political system are not merely about protecting individuals from harm; They're also about protecting the nation from harm. History shows that segregation is profoundly harmful.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #393
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I see it now. The slippery slope.

    I don't play that game.
    It worked for Rosa Parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #394
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And if none of them are willing to see a patient who is black, white, Catholic, Muslim, etc.? What if it is simply that none of those who are willing to see those patients are available because of some emergency or that those particular doctors leave the practice?

    As I asked the other poster, why protect certain people from being able to be discriminated against for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual services being provided if they can simply go somewhere else? Do you disagree with all public accommodation laws? Do you disagree with the ERA that protects people from being turned away like here based on their race or relative race to their husband/wife? How about due to their religion or relative religion?

    The baby in this instance got medical care only because the other doctor wasn't busy and didn't agree with the first doctor who had the objections.
    What if....what if.....?

    I can't play the hypothetical game with you. What if....

    If someone is dying a doctor who is the only person who can save the dying person refuses to do it for any reason....ANY reason....he has not only violated his oath, he is probably breaking a law, or at the very least, is setting himself up for a gigantic lawsuit. That isn't what happened here.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #395
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh c'mon, you heard all the answers to those questions a thousand times before, don't play dumb. Those things are "protected" constitutionally (federal and states).
    They are not protected any more "constitutionally" than sexual orientation is. The ERA is not part of the US Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #396
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,191

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    No that can't be such things are only hypotheticals...

  7. #397
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The possibility of harm was still present and didn't occur only because of other circumstances. No harm is truly being caused to patrons of a restaurant for being refused service because they are a mixed race couple. No physical harm is actually caused from a teacher insisting she not have to teach black students or boys or Christians right?
    The limb is creaking, time to stop climbing further down that branch.

    No, there was no possibility for harm here. And just stop the silly conflation of race and religion with sexual orientation. Apples and gay oranges.

  8. #398
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What if....what if.....?

    I can't play the hypothetical game with you. What if....

    If someone is dying a doctor who is the only person who can save the dying person refuses to do it for any reason....ANY reason....he has not only violated his oath, he is probably breaking a law, or at the very least, is setting himself up for a gigantic lawsuit. That isn't what happened here.
    Only if they are dying? So loss of limbs/illness or causing the person undue financial hardships isn't a big deal? While that didn't happen here, it is possible to happen with a doctor refusing service situation that doesn't necessarily involve a person dying right there.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The possibility of harm was still present and didn't occur only because of other circumstances. No harm is truly being caused to patrons of a restaurant for being refused service because they are a mixed race couple. No physical harm is actually caused from a teacher insisting she not have to teach black students or boys or Christians right?
    Refusing care doesn't cause a harm.

  10. #400
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They are not protected any more "constitutionally" than sexual orientation is. The ERA is not part of the US Constitution.
    According to the SCOTUS they are indeed. Look up protected classes. And every state has PA laws, most of them are enshrined in the state's constitution.

Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •