Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #371
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    True, but I was asking the in the light of the claims that no one was hurt.
    I would argue that the idea that entire nation is harmed by segregation is a stronger argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #372
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No it doesn't. This could just as easily be used by doctors to refuse to see Jews, black people, white people, atheist, Christians, etc. but only for these types of appointments.
    No, it couldn't. Race, religion, creed, they're protected classes in ALL states. Again, sexual orientation not so much.

  3. #373
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, making up could have beens isn't helping you argument.
    It is pretty much the argument because it is why we have made public accommodation laws so broad. The "could have beens" are prevented when we recognize and stop the "didn't quite happen this time"'s.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,910

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You have no made any compelling case that anyone was hurt by her having religious beliefs. Neither has anyone else.
    Who ever said she did any harm to the baby at all? Please post that. And no one has attempted to say she did.

    This has been the discussion:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa

    You choose to only see this incident. I think every single other person in this thread except for 1 or 2 at least see the broader implications of not examining her decision with a view towards allowing other doctors to do the same.

    I have not yet once claimed I said she behaved improperly. If there are no laws or policies that demand she treat the child, then she is allowed to do so. My personal opinion of her actions has nothing to do with ***the broader implications her decision can make if other doctors can do the same.*** Again...you dont see the forest for the tree.

    Everyone else in the thread does (even if they dont agree she was wrong).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #375
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There is a huge difference between "we cannot see new patients because we already have too many or have reached our reasonable limit" and "we cannot accept you as a patient because you are <gay, straight, not married, Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, a red head, a meat eater, black, have a spouse of a different race, etc.>". One is easily seen as a reasonable limitation based on facts and reality, the other is based on the unprofessionalism of a doctor who can't separate their personal feelings from their chosen profession.
    So in other words, doctors in a group practice have to see every patient who shows up and demands to see that doctor.

    I don't agree. Doctors in a group practice should be free to share patients, and if the patients don't like it, they're free to find another doctor.

    Doctors are there to provide medical care. The baby got medical care. The practice did its job.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #376
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, it couldn't. Race, religion, creed, they're protected classes in ALL states. Again, sexual orientation not so much.
    And why is it that those things are protected? Why bother if someone else could simply see that person or their child?

    Plus, last I looked, your hair color isn't protected against discrimination.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #377
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Who ever said she did any harm to the baby at all? Please post that. And no one has attempted to say she did.
    So then you agree that the baby wasn't harmed, and you agree that the parents weren't harmed. You just don't like that the doctor exercised her religious belief.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #378
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So in other words, doctors in a group practice have to see every patient who shows up and demands to see that doctor.

    I don't agree. Doctors in a group practice should be free to share patients, and if the patients don't like it, they're free to find another doctor.

    Doctors are there to provide medical care. The baby got medical care. The practice did its job.
    Complains when others post hypotheticals

    Claims the parents demanded to see that doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #379
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It is pretty much the argument because it is why we have made public accommodation laws so broad. The "could have beens" are prevented when we recognize and stop the "didn't quite happen this time"'s.
    The PA laws don't cover sexual orientation.

  10. #380
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And why is it that those things are protected? Why bother if someone else could simply see that person or their child?

    Plus, last I looked, your hair color isn't protected against discrimination.
    The purpose of the discrimination laws were to prevent people from being refused service, and from being harmed. This baby was not harmed, and the couple received the exact same service that the next set of parents got for their child.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •