Page 37 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #361
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    You think doctors should be able to reject patients because they don't like the patient's job?

    What is wrong with you?
    They already do, what's wrong with you? But to do so for a patient that is in need of immediate medical treatment is indeed unprofessional and against the law. That wasn't the case here.

  2. #362
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,230

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes it does. The sky isn't falling and no need to run around screaming it is.
    The sky isn't falling, but to read this thread, it would appear that bodies are raining down from the skies because all of these doctors all over the country are turning away everyone who is about to die.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #363
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So a doctor refusing to provide non-emergency treatment to a black child would be OK if the child suffered no substantial harm

    Separate but equal is not equal.
    And there we have the difference between race and sexual orientation. In ALL states race is protected, sexual orientation not so much.

  4. #364
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It's not about humiliation or any other feeling

    It's about "separate but equal". It's about "one set of providers for one group and another set for everyone else". It's about segregation.
    True, but I was asking the in the light of the claims that no one was hurt. Clearly the lesbian couple was humiliated and that seems to be just fine with some.
    In the interest of fairness, I have to say that I suffer no humiliation unless done so by myself to myself. Not something I cherish, but have dome a few times, but I have seen the effects that humiliation has brought on others and it can be bad, very bad to the point of costing lives.

  5. #365
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,899

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It isn't my "opinion" on anything. According to both the OP and her words she refused to see the baby because she doesn't approve of the parents' lifestyle choice. What are you disputing about that?

    And are you angry because you don't want her to have religious beliefs, or you don't want her to not like gay people? I personally don't care what religion she observes, and I don't care who she likes. The baby got the care it needed.
    She stated she doesnt believe in their lifestyle choice because of her religious beliefs.

    She can have opinions and she can have religious beliefs. She felt strongly enough to send away a patient.

    You choose to only see this incident. I think every single other person in this thread except for 1 or 2 at least see the broader implications of not examining her decision with a view towards allowing other doctors to do the same.

    I have not yet once claimed I said she behaved improperly. If there are no laws or policies that demand she treat the child, then she is allowed to do so. My personal opinion of her actions has nothing to do with ***the broader implications her decision can make if other doctors can do the same.*** Again...you dont see the forest for the tree.

    Everyone else in the thread does (even if they dont agree she was wrong).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #366
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    For this child, that is true. But the possibility easily existed that it could lead to them having to reschedule. It is a very likely possibility in some areas too.

    In cities, the average doctor wait-time is 18.5 days - The Washington Post

    This means if a child is turned away due to having gay parents, especially like this one was but where there is not a willing or more likely free/able partner in the practice to see the baby, despite having set up the appointments ahead of time, the parents could be delayed several weeks in getting an appointment from a doctor who can and will see their child for their well baby checkups.
    Again, making up could have beens isn't helping your argument.
    Last edited by clownboy; 02-20-15 at 04:35 PM.

  7. #367
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Ack, I just posted something very similar to that. The issue here isn't that the baby was seen by her partner - it's that people are angry at the doctor because she doesn't like the gay lifestyle.
    BS. And you have the audacity to accuse others of lying. The issue is not whether she likes or not the gay lifestyle it is about her bigotry in denying a visit for a 6 days old infant and using religion as an excuse.

  8. #368
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the doctors who say "We are not accepting new patients" shouldn't be doing that, because you have a right to demand that a doctor sees you?
    There is a huge difference between "we cannot see new patients because we already have too many or have reached our reasonable limit" and "we cannot accept you as a patient because you are <gay, straight, not married, Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, a red head, a meat eater, black, have a spouse of a different race, etc.>". One is easily seen as a reasonable limitation based on facts and reality, the other is based on the unprofessionalism of a doctor who can't separate their personal feelings from their chosen profession.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #369
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,230

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    She stated she doesnt believe in their lifestyle choice because of her religious beliefs.

    She can have opinions and she can have religious beliefs. She felt strongly enough to send away a patient.

    You choose to only see this incident. I think every single other person in this thread except for 1 or 2 at least see the broader implications of not examining her decision with a view towards allowing other doctors to do the same.

    I have not yet once claimed I said she behaved improperly. If there are no laws or policies that demand she treat the child, then she is allowed to do so. My personal opinion of her actions has nothing to do with ***the broader implications her decision can make if other doctors can do the same.*** Again...you dont see the forest for the tree.

    Everyone else in the thread does (even if they dont agree she was wrong).
    I see someone who didn't hurt the parents or the child in any way. I am of the mindset that people are allowed to have religious beliefs as long as they don't hurt anyone else. You have no made any compelling case that anyone was hurt by her having religious beliefs. Neither has anyone else.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #370
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,899

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Just IMO any doctor that believes being gay is a choice and that there is a 'gay lifestyle' is incompetent and unable to properly understand medical science. I wouldnt take my kid anywhere near her and she did the couple a favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 37 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •