Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #341
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except none of that strawman you just built actually happened.
    Doesn't matter if it did happen, only that when we allow such policies that allow for people to discriminate, to reject patients solely on the basis of something like "I don't approve of the parents'", it can lead to the very thing I am talking about. And we have seen it happen in other issues.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    To be quite honest this did surprise me. For some reason I thought that educated people can and would rise above such blatant bigotry, but I guess that low life imbeciles exist in every walk of life.
    This doctor refused to treat an infant because the parents are gay.
    Lesbian couple says Michigan pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation | 7online.com
    Who cares. There are literally thousands of pediatricians in Michigan, go to another one.

  3. #343
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the refusing doctor was NOT "medically wrong". And her reason could just as well been because the parents were daredevils, or professional beggars, or never bathed. The doctor couldn't face the parents' lifestyle, so the medical group provided another doctor that could to cover this patient.
    You think doctors should be able to reject patients because they don't like the patient's job?

    What is wrong with you?

  4. #344
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Your questions seems perfectly reasonable to me. I think we are talking about a principle here - do doctors have an obligation to treat patients without regard to their sexual orientation? If the answer is an unequivocal "NO!" then that answer applies in cases of emergency, i.e. in the ER, when there might not be another doctor within 100 miles, there might not be another doctor covered by the person's insurance, etc.

    If the answer is, "No, but.... " then the relevant next question is 'what are the exceptions?' No, they're not obligated to in cases where the child is not at risk BUT would be in the ER. Or they would not be obligated so long as another doctor was available for this child, but if she was the only physician within 100 miles, she DOES have an obligation or at least a higher obligation to ignore sexual orientation of the parents. Etc.

    I thought about it and in this case it worked out well for everyone, IMO. I wouldn't want to see a doctor who held me and/or my spouse in contempt in some ways. So the couple have a doctor who respects them and their child - all that's good. But the problem in saying it worked out fine here, so there is no issue with physicians declining to treat LGBT patients, is that if this is based on principle and not the results IN THIS CASE, then the principle has to apply when it will or could cause substantial harm to the couple or their child. Or else people should be willing to identify the exceptions to the principle.
    So a doctor refusing to provide non-emergency treatment to a black child would be OK if the child suffered no substantial harm

    Separate but equal is not equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #345
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No, it wouldn't be any different. No one likes dealing with people who smell bad or whatever. Should they just pass the buck infinitely, since no one likes people who smell bad, and thus no one gives them any care? And the accent example is just another example of discrimination -- incidentally, a type of discrimination immigrants are protected against, where women and gays (and apparently even the children of same) are apparently deamed unworthy of such protection.

    The fact that you think it's so obviously ok to reject patients for any silly reason you like that it's a rhetorical question is disturbing.
    I don't have a problem with doctors in a group practice sharing responsibility for patients. I don't care about which hygienist in my dentist's group practice cleans my teeth every 6 months. They're on a rotation. I don't care which doctor has to see me if my own doctor is home sick. In other words, I don't go to doctors or dentists or any medical provider to be accepted or liked. I go to get care, and if I don't like the person, or I don't like the care, I go elsewhere. You seem to think I'm crazy because I don't share your outrage that this baby was seen by another doctor in a group practice. I don't.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #346
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, it is. Government is about force and has been about force for thousands of years.
    So you are agains government? What it that government is of the people, for the people and by the people?

  7. #347
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not all doctors work in a group. Not all areas have that many doctors. Plus, it is just as likely in some places for all those doctors to feel the same way and all refuse certain people service.

    Again, why not expect the doctor to be professional in their chosen profession and expect them to care for children of gay men and lesbians the same as they would children of opposite sex married and unmarried parents? This is their chosen profession. They need to put their personal feelings aside and do their damn job.
    But the case we're discussing they are a medical group. And you'd be hard pressed to look for a pediatric doctor these days who isn't part of a group or hospital staff.

    And if you want robots to treat you you'll have to wait a generation or two. The matter in this case WAS handled professionally. The HUMAN doctor couldn't get past her objections to the parents' lifestyle and thus provided another doctor who could do the care on the same schedule.

    And don't try to build yet another strawman about emergency care. Emergency care is governed by a whole nother set of professional rules and laws.

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    So you are agains government? What it that government is of the people, for the people and by the people?
    There is no such thing as a government of the people, for the people and by the people. It's pretty awesome propaganda though.

  9. #349
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Doesn't matter if it did happen, only that when we allow such policies that allow for people to discriminate, to reject patients solely on the basis of something like "I don't approve of the parents'", it can lead to the very thing I am talking about. And we have seen it happen in other issues.
    So the doctors who say "We are not accepting new patients" shouldn't be doing that, because you have a right to demand that a doctor sees you?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #350
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Still a difference of opinion. In terms of this subject, that is exactly what people want.
    You're still confused. The legal basis for laws is not a matter of opinion.

    It's a matter of law
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •