Page 34 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The baby at the center of this story got a wellness check from the other doctor in the same practice at the same time and on the same date and in the same location as the scheduled appointment with the original doctor.

    Why does this thread keep going off the rails with hypotheticals?
    Because one side of this debate always brings up ludicrous hypotheticals in these threads.

  2. #332
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    A HUMAN doctor. And this is yet another advantage to working in a medical GROUP. If you don't like the doctor, or the doctor doesn't like you, there are more doctors in the group. And again, what ****ed up parents want their child's doctor to be someone who objects to their lifestyle?
    Not all doctors work in a group. Not all areas have that many doctors. Plus, it is just as likely in some places for all those doctors to feel the same way and all refuse certain people service.

    Again, why not expect the doctor to be professional in their chosen profession and expect them to care for children of gay men and lesbians the same as they would children of opposite sex married and unmarried parents? This is their chosen profession. They need to put their personal feelings aside and do their damn job.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #333
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, not in every state. I dont know about Michigan.

    However it is clear from the OP, the doctor and the legal case, that it's based on *her stated* religious beliefs. Now...why are you going off on a tangent?

    Is it your opinion she did it based on bigotry towards gays?
    It isn't my "opinion" on anything. According to both the OP and her words she refused to see the baby because she doesn't approve of the parents' lifestyle choice. What are you disputing about that?

    And are you angry because you don't want her to have religious beliefs, or you don't want her to not like gay people? I personally don't care what religion she observes, and I don't care who she likes. The baby got the care it needed.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #334
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Who says they would have to die to cause hardships for the person, their loved ones? What if their causing a delay in the refusal to see the patient leads to complications? What if that delay leads to requiring more extensive stay in a hospital, more bills? What if it causes people to not get the early diagnosis that would improve their chances?

    Even with just these checkups, refusal of service could lead to someone having to either a) drive far out of their way to see a doctor that will take them as a patient only due to something like their sexuality or their parents' sexuality, or b) go outside their insurance network for a doctor that will see them, accept them, not due to the doctor having too many clients or not specializing in what they need, but rather only out of bigotry. Why shouldn't someone be compensated for discrimination that causes them measurable hardship?
    Except none of that strawman you just built actually happened.

  5. #335
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't care why a doctor in a group practice decides to ask another doctor to see a patient instead of her. Would the story have been different because the doctor asked her partner to see the baby because she didn't want to see the baby because the parents smelled bad? Because she doesn't like people with accents? Because the parents were too loud? Because there were 12 relatives from the trailer park who wanted to join the visit? Because she used to be married to one of the parent's brother? That's a rhetorical question, because the answer is "yes". You don't really care who saw the baby. Nobody does. What you care about I believe is that you don't like that this woman disapproves of the gay lifestyle. I get that.
    No, it wouldn't be any different. No one likes dealing with people who smell bad or whatever. Should they just pass the buck infinitely, since no one likes people who smell bad, and thus no one gives them any care? And the accent example is just another example of discrimination -- incidentally, a type of discrimination immigrants are protected against, where women and gays (and apparently even the children of same) are apparently deamed unworthy of such protection.

    The fact that you think it's so obviously ok to reject patients for any silly reason you like that it's a rhetorical question is disturbing.

  6. #336
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    His was a ridiculous objection. Circumcision does no harm. It may be painful but many procedures doctors perform are painful. Doesnt make the wrong or unethical, lol. Yeah, that injection was totally unethical! Give it to me on a spoon instead! lol. Oh, dont pierce my ears! It's unethical!
    I agree. I don't have any issue with piercings or circumcisions, just as I don't have an issue with gender reassignment therapy/surgery. It doesn't truly do harm and it is their body.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #337
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Goes back to that asshole drama factor I think. Like recently quit non-smokers.
    I quit smoking in January 10 which is 1 week after I started on Chantix. And that was my choice for me and me alone. I won't ever become one of those asses that lecture people.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #338
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    May I ask you or anyone else for that matter, just exactly under what circumstances a person could not be a bigot for rejecting homosexual lifestyles? Under what circumstances would it be permissible for someone to object to sexual proclivity? Is someone a bigot, for example to avoid people that say, enjoy anal sex, or BDSM, or wife swapping, etc.. etc..? Would they too be bigoted? I'm just asking because if the answer is "well gee, I suppose someone not accepting of people that are into BDSM are not bigoted", then might I suggest that you slow down on the rhetoric that is purely designed to shame the person you're disagreeing with, and begin to debate the subject matter in a mature, more open way, and win with your ideas rather than your rhetoric.


    Tim-
    A fair question and in order to not haste into a flawed answer, I will reply a bit later. Thanks for your patience.

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    His was a ridiculous objection. Circumcision does no harm. It may be painful but many procedures doctors perform are painful. Doesnt make the wrong or unethical, lol. Yeah, that injection was totally unethical! Give it to me on a spoon instead! lol. Oh, dont pierce my ears! It's unethical!
    My brain is hurting from the stupidity of your post. The foreskin has more than a dozen functions from pleasure, lubrication, all the way to keeping the area disease and infection free. Why do you think the body would have extra parts that do nothing? Please research the topic before talking about it. Thank you.

  10. #340
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't care why a doctor in a group practice decides to ask another doctor to see a patient instead of her. Would the story have been different because the doctor asked her partner to see the baby because she didn't want to see the baby because the parents smelled bad? Because she doesn't like people with accents? Because the parents were too loud? Because there were 12 relatives from the trailer park who wanted to join the visit? Because she used to be married to one of the parent's brother? That's a rhetorical question, because the answer is "yes". You don't really care who saw the baby. Nobody does. What you care about I believe is that you don't like that this woman disapproves of the gay lifestyle. I get that.
    tb has to pretend the issue is "What doctor decided to see the patient?" and not "Why did the doctor decide to not see the patient?"

    It's the same argument the segregationists used in Plessy v Ferguson - separate but equal is OK according right wingers
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 34 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •