Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #311
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Let's be clear, this wasn't about emergency care, heck this wasn't even a doctor's appointment for something wrong, it was a standard wellness check. Also, the child was immediately seen for the check by another doctor in the same group. The parents didn't even need to reschedule. They easily found another HMO to treat them going forward.

    This is mountain out of molehill time.
    Yes, a standard wellness check that really is important to have done on time and can be crucial to diagnosing certain conditions such as autism, but only in those appointments during the first 6 months. We can detect autistic visual cues very early in that first 6 months, if doctors actually start using the proper tests/charts.

    New study detects signs of autism in infants by their declining eye contact | Society | The Guardian

    Doctors studying autism have found that those with autism tend to look at people's faces much more often in the first months of their lives and rapidly decline to looking mainly at objects, while those who are not autistic work their way up to looking at people's faces much more often as they age than they look at objects.

    So this would mean that if a parent had to put off those first wellness checks because a doctor refused to see their baby because of something against them the doctor had, that could possibly cause them more hardship in the future by not having something potentially diagnosed in those first few months. This isn't some fantasy hypothetical either. There are places with very few local doctors and/or that have mainly doctors that are like this one. And since the insurance company (including Medicaid) decides which doctors they will pay for, this limits a person's choices. With the increase in wait time for at least some areas for appointments, not to mention busy schedules of today's parents, it could mean appointments that are vital to diagnosing things like autism in those first 6 months are missed so that then they have to wait for the more subtle cues and delay actually getting proper help to a child in times when it could make a difference for many diagnoses, both physical and mental health wise.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #312
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,187

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So you ran out of things to say to defend your entitled mindset. Good to know.
    No, I am still waiting for you to come up with something relevant and real. So far your rants are not even close.

  3. #313
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    So you would deny firemen the same freedom you advocate for this doctor because you do want to save your house. How noble of you.
    When it's not their ass on the line, it's all about principle.

    When it is, it's all about "save my ass and to hell with principle"

    Remember, hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #314
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And really, what parent that's worth two ****s wants to have a doctor who is opposed to the choices they've made as people to be the main source of medical care for their precious child?
    The doctor, if professional, will not allow their disapproval of the parents be a hindrance to the care they give to the child. What kind of a idiot doctor cannot separate their personal feelings about something they aren't involved in from caring for their patient? What exactly would she tell opposite sex parents about their child that she couldn't tell same sex parents about caring for theirs?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Your questions seems perfectly reasonable to me. I think we are talking about a principle here - do doctors have an obligation to treat patients without regard to their sexual orientation? If the answer is an unequivocal "NO!" then that answer applies in cases of emergency, i.e. in the ER, when there might not be another doctor within 100 miles, there might not be another doctor covered by the person's insurance, etc.

    If the answer is, "No, but.... " then the relevant next question is 'what are the exceptions?' No, they're not obligated to in cases where the child is not at risk BUT would be in the ER. Or they would not be obligated so long as another doctor was available for this child, but if she was the only physician within 100 miles, she DOES have an obligation or at least a higher obligation to ignore sexual orientation of the parents. Etc.

    I thought about it and in this case it worked out well for everyone, IMO. I wouldn't want to see a doctor who held me and/or my spouse in contempt in some ways. So the couple have a doctor who respects them and their child - all that's good. But the problem in saying it worked out fine here, so there is no issue with physicians declining to treat LGBT patients, is that if this is based on principle and not the results IN THIS CASE, then the principle has to apply when it will or could cause substantial harm to the couple or their child. Or else people should be willing to identify the exceptions to the principle.
    I think a more realistic example would be if the cops responded to a domestic abuse case and it was a gay couple. And they 'chose' not to assist because they objected on religious grounds. While I doubt that would be their real reason, they could their religious beliefs as an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #316
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    No confusion, just a difference of opinion.
    Yes, confusion. You think this is about "forcing people to do stuff they don't want to do because someone else thinks they should"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #317
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, a standard wellness check that really is important to have done on time and can be crucial to diagnosing certain conditions such as autism, but only in those appointments during the first 6 months. We can detect autistic visual cues very early in that first 6 months, if doctors actually start using the proper tests/charts.

    New study detects signs of autism in infants by their declining eye contact | Society | The Guardian

    Doctors studying autism have found that those with autism tend to look at people's faces much more often in the first months of their lives and rapidly decline to looking mainly at objects, while those who are not autistic work their way up to looking at people's faces much more often as they age than they look at objects.

    So this would mean that if a parent had to put off those first wellness checks because a doctor refused to see their baby because of something against them the doctor had, that could possibly cause them more hardship in the future by not having something potentially diagnosed in those first few months. This isn't some fantasy hypothetical either. There are places with very few local doctors and/or that have mainly doctors that are like this one. And since the insurance company (including Medicaid) decides which doctors they will pay for, this limits a person's choices. With the increase in wait time for at least some areas for appointments, not to mention busy schedules of today's parents, it could mean appointments that are vital to diagnosing things like autism in those first 6 months are missed so that then they have to wait for the more subtle cues and delay actually getting proper help to a child in times when it could make a difference for many diagnoses, both physical and mental health wise.
    You went into depth creating that huge strawman there. No appointments were missed or rescheduled. The child had their scheduled appointment and could have scheduled more, but the parents chose to go to another peds group for the future.

  8. #318
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So where in Michigan are these dying people being turned out in the emergency rooms because of sexual orientation?
    "Separate water fountains for black people are OK because no black people died because they couldn't use the whites only water fountain"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #319
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I think a more realistic example would be if the cops responded to a domestic abuse case and it was a gay couple. And they 'chose' not to assist because they objected on religious grounds. While I doubt that would be their real reason, they could their religious beliefs as an excuse.
    Should cops be allowed to respond to a domestic abuse case and choose not to assist for any reason? And if so, what are those reasons?
    Last edited by tres borrachos; 02-20-15 at 04:12 PM. Reason: multitasking error
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #320
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, confusion. You think this is about "forcing people to do stuff they don't want to do because someone else thinks they should"
    Still a difference of opinion. In terms of this subject, that is exactly what people want.

Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •