Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #271
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Who says the firemen or cops have to perform their services if they object on religious grounds? It's been established...yes? By law or policy? Well then it seems such things need to be established for the medical community.

    I'm not sure you even read my post....I explained why very clearly.
    So you're saying that firemen and policemen can ignore people in emergency situations for any reason at all on the basis of religion. That's a topic for another thread. This wasn't an emergency situation.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #272
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So where in Michigan are these dying people being turned out in the emergency rooms because of sexual orientation?
    Let's be clear, this wasn't about emergency care, heck this wasn't even a doctor's appointment for something wrong, it was a standard wellness check. Also, the child was immediately seen for the check by another doctor in the same group. The parents didn't even need to reschedule. They easily found another HMO to treat them going forward.

    This is mountain out of molehill time.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So you're saying that firemen and policemen can ignore people in emergency situations for any reason at all on the basis of religion. That's a topic for another thread. This wasn't an emergency situation.
    You are obviously not reading my posts at all. I never said that. (bold, like in other post)

    However the point I'm trying to make is....what if it was an emergency situation? "Hypothetical" does not mean "without value." This incident happened...is it your position that it would never happen in a life or death situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Let's be clear, this wasn't about emergency care, heck this wasn't even a doctor's appointment for something wrong, it was a standard wellness check. Also, the child was immediately seen for the check by another doctor in the same group. The parents didn't even need to reschedule. They easily found another HMO to treat them going forward.

    This is mountain out of molehill time.
    Which leads me to believe that it was manufactured, although I can't be sure, it just strikes me that way.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #275
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So where in Michigan are these dying people being turned out in the emergency rooms because of sexual orientation?
    Hopefully nowhere, jeeesus! The question is, though, if it were to happen and the doctor on duty refused treatment, would he be prosecuted if he used religion as his excuse? You know seeing as there is no anti-discrimination protections for gays in MI...
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #276
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You are obviously not reading my posts at all. I never said that.

    However the point I'm trying to make is....what if it was an emergency situation? "Hypothetical" does not mean "without value." This incident happened...is it your position that it would never happen in a life or death situation?
    I'd love to be in a thread where the discussion is about policemen and firemen and doctors and other emergency responders refuse to help someone based on religious beliefs. That isn't this thread.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, it's not. I think we found the source of your confusion
    Yes, it is. Government is about force and has been about force for thousands of years.

  8. #278
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    And really, what parent that's worth two ****s wants to have a doctor who is opposed to the choices they've made as people to be the main source of medical care for their precious child?

  9. #279
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Hopefully nowhere, jeeesus! The question is, though, if it were to happen and the doctor on duty refused treatment, would he be prosecuted if he used religion as his excuse? You know seeing as there is no anti-discrimination protections for gays in MI...
    I would think a doctor who knowingly and intentionally allows a patient to die for any reason would face some sort of penalty, wouldn't you?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #280
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I recall, at some point in my DP history, using the example of "What if a doctor denied baby care because he didn't think the parents should have had a baby" as an intentionally absurd extension to people who are ok with doctors and pharmacologistis denying Plan B and permanent birth control procedures, another place where for some reason Americans allow doctors to refuse to do their job over their sanctimony.
    Not your post but this thread might shed some light on hypocrisy. It's also about Michigan

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/genera...post1064078094
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •