Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 832

Thread: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientation

  1. #251
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It's completely possible that she could have gotten run over by a bus on the morning of the baby's scheduled visit and not seen the baby either.
    Wow, look at all the courage you mustered in this thread. From calling hypotheticals cowardly to plunging right into it. what is next condemnation of bigotry at any level or is that too much to ask?

  2. #252
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    In reality people serve those they either consent to serve or those they are forced to.
    You need to switch to this universe.

  3. #253
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    What if there aren't alternative doctors? What if the alternative doctors are also bigots?

    Then the parents waste time and their child isn't getting health care. Eventually, this can end in sickness and huge bills if they just resort to going to the only place they're certain won't turn them away.

    We have seen this before, in the form of the Plan B debacle, which leads to unwanted pregnancies, and therefore either potentially insurmountable expense, or harm to the woman, potentially ending in death. And just like in those threads, the defenders in this one mostly don't care whether there had been an alternative doctor or not. The person I'm responding to didn't seem to -- they defend the "right" of doctors to refuse to do their job based on their bigotry.

    And even if that isn't the eventuality, I'm sorry, but when you're on the clock, your personal BS needs to go on the back burner. Just do you job like everyone else. This couple and their child don't deserve to be subject to emotional brow-beating and humiliation by supposed "professionals" either. Their lives are hard enough being gay in America.
    There were alternative doctors. This wasn't an emergency situation. And in a group of doctors sharing a practice, any one of them can see a patient. That's why they have group practices.

    This isn't about Plan B or abortions. Nobody got hurt here. And I don't know where there was any brow beating or humiliation? The doctor didn't say anything denigrating that I saw.

    And they went public with this story, did they not? So they're humiliated, and they decide to humiliate themselves even more by having it be discussed everywhere? Interesting.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #254
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A fireman can't decide he won't put a fire out because he doesn't like the people, unless there are other firemen with him who can do the job without him. Then if he choses to walk away, it's between him and his superiors. As long as my house is saved as it's supposed to be, why would I care ?
    So you would deny firemen the same freedom you advocate for this doctor because you do want to save your house. How noble of you.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    What if there aren't alternative doctors? What if the alternative doctors are also bigots?

    Then the parents waste time and their child isn't getting health care. Eventually, this can end in sickness and huge bills if they just resort to going to the only place they're certain won't turn them away.

    We have seen this before, in the form of the Plan B debacle, which leads to unwanted pregnancies, and therefore either potentially insurmountable expense, or harm to the woman, potentially ending in death. And just like in those threads, the defenders in this one mostly don't care whether there had been an alternative doctor or not. The person I'm responding to didn't seem to -- they defend the "right" of doctors to refuse to do their job based on their bigotry.

    And even if that isn't the eventuality, I'm sorry, but when you're on the clock, your personal BS needs to go on the back burner. Just do you job like everyone else. This couple and their child don't deserve to be subject to emotional brow-beating and humiliation by supposed "professionals" either. Their lives are hard enough being gay in America.
    The woman and the baby isn't owed anything. Where you people get the idea that because you show up to someone wanting service they are obligated to give it to you? Not even anti-discrimination laws imply such a thing, so please people, stop with the whole open to the public crap. All they make people do is pick a different reason to deny service.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Why, aren't their convictions or faith just as valid?
    They are, but the state has said, it doesn't matter, you must provide emergency care if you're a doctor, pure and simple, really.


    Normally yes, but the issue is that once such bigotry becomes acceptable at some level it becomes acceptable at all levels.
    That's a false dichotomy, and as such invalid on its face.


    By the way how do you feel about being humiliated? Does it just roll of your back, do you feel angry, even a desire to even the score?
    Again, I point to the delusion that one must feel, thinking that everyone must be accepting of homosexuality. The truth is that, not everyone agrees with your lifestyle choice, and some, including me think it's primarily a choice brought about by one's environment and mental capacity to distinguish and understand how our chemistry is affected by various inputs.

    Because doctors don't have personal profiles that say, "Not a bigoted asshole -- gays and their children accepted here." That's why.
    Rhetoric aside, do you not interview a doctor before choosing them? For that matter, do you not interview any one person providing a service? I do all the time.


    So, what, they should just wander around knocking on doors until they find one, meanwhile their child isn't getting their regular check-ups, or perhaps their treatment for an illness? Or perhaps resort to paying 5 times as much money by going to the ER, if they can't afford any further delay?
    Again, this was not an emergency situation so your analogy fails.

    Why? Why should doctors be permitted to subject people to that? Why should gay people have to look for a doctor who's "accepting" in the first place?
    Because the simple truth is that not everyone thinks homosexuals are as wholesome as some would lead you to believe.

    Everyone deals with people they don't like while on the job, and usually in jobs that are far less critical than health care. Yet doctors, who decide if people live or die, should be the exception?
    Exactly, if it were me, I certainly wouldn't allow this to go unchecked, and I'm sure Michigan will address it, however, this was not a live and die situation. A Pediatrician is providing a service, and emergency care is usually performed at hospitals where life saving equipment is more readily available.

    Why the hell should that be allowed?
    because people, even service providers have rights as well. Homosexuals don't have a right, nor anyone else to not be offended. They don't have a right to force someone to accept them and their lifestyle choices.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #257
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A fireman can't decide he won't put a fire out because he doesn't like the people, unless there are other firemen with him who can do the job without him. Then if he choses to walk away, it's between him and his superiors. As long as my house is saved as it's supposed to be, why would I care ?
    Who says? Or, who made the law or rules that say the fireman or group, cannot refuse to put out a lesbian's house fire based on their religious beliefs?

    Some communities only have volunteer fire depts. I grew up in one, my dad was one of them. I can imagine a small self-righteous conservative group refusing to do so based on their religious beliefs. Or more likely, a couple of cops showing up to a gay domestic abuse situation and walking away.

    I agree that it's been established that they cannot (probably anyway)...but it has to be established. As it does here in this case for docs in MI....obviously, since it just happened and could happen in less safe circumstances.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post

    The other big difference being this wasn't an emergency situation. People are turning this into an emergency situation. It wasn't. That would be entirely different if this couple drove their sick baby to a hospital and the only doctor there refused to see the baby. But that isn't what happened. In fact, not even close.

    How do you know that a doc wouldnt refuse to help in an emergency situation? Do we wait until a kid dies to examine the issue....in the courts if necessary? Or see that there are people like this in professions with life or death responsibilities, see that they do indeed choose to exercise their religious objections, and create the laws and guidelnes BEFORE someone dies? In reality, it would protect both the professionals and the patients/victims.
    Last edited by Lursa; 02-20-15 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #258
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Isn't that what government is about, forcing people to do stuff they don't want to do because someone else thinks they should?
    No, it's not. I think we found the source of your confusion

    I was asked for an opinion and I gave it and disagreement on this forum is expected.
    And I pointed out the hypocrisy of your opinion. Your disagreement is expected
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #259
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Michigan lesbian couple says pediatrician denied baby care due to sexual orientat

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Please stop asking me to join the emotional bandwagon you're on.
    I am not asking you to join anything. On the contrary I'd prefer you to not be on any wagon with me.

    I don't care who likes who.
    Neither do I, and it is irrelevant.

    Not my business, and I'll show you the same courtesy by not asking you to dislike the same people that I don't like.
    I do not care who you dislike or like, nor am I asking to to like or dislike anyone. The issue here is bigotry of a particular doctor and you condone it. It is as simple as that.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Bigotry is well and alive even among doctors.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    You need to switch to this universe.
    So you ran out of things to say to defend your entitled mindset. Good to know.

Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •