Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 367

Thread: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108 mill

  1. #311
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads"

    Unless the Constitution is changed, which will never happen, the USPS can not be eliminated. Congress can't agree on simple cost cutting measures like eliminating Saturday deliveries let alone changing the Constitution and eliminating the USPS.
    The Constitution does not require the existence of the USPS. Congress could eliminate it any time they wish to.

  2. #312
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The Constitution does not require the existence of the USPS. Congress could eliminate it any time they wish to.
    I disagree.. It was established by the Constitution, it is Constitutionally mandated. My guess is the USPS has the Constitution on its side. But anyway that's not really the point. Even if they wanted to get rid of it as I pointed out before Congress won't let the USPS eliminate Saturday deliveries let alone eliminating the whole USPS.

    Also some of the USPS money problems have nothing to do with the USPS. They absolutely need to make some cost cutting measures, but another problem is Congress forces USPS put money into pensions that don't exist yet. Which costs USPS billions every year. UPS doesn't do that. Neither does Fedex. I don't know any private company that does, but thanks to Congress the USPS has to. Madness.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    I disagree.. It was established by the Constitution, it is Constitutionally mandated. My guess is the USPS has the Constitution on its side. But anyway that's not really the point. Even if they wanted to get rid of it as I pointed out before Congress won't let the USPS eliminate Saturday deliveries let alone eliminating the whole USPS.

    Also some of the USPS money problems have nothing to do with the USPS. They absolutely need to make some cost cutting measures, but another problem is Congress forces USPS put money into pensions that don't exist yet. Which costs USPS billions every year. UPS doesn't do that. Neither does Fedex. I don't know any private company that does, but thanks to Congress the USPS has to. Madness.
    Article 1, Section 8 gives Congress the power to establish the post office. Nothing says they have to and nothing says the post office must have exclusive rights to deliver the mail.

  4. #314
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Article 1, Section 8 gives Congress the power to establish the post office. Nothing says they have to and nothing says the post office must have exclusive rights to deliver the mail.
    The Constitution mandates the government operate and regulate the USPS, not private businesses. But this is way above my pay scale. I'm not a Constitutional Lawyer, and neither are you. I doubt either one of us know if the USPS can be eliminated with out violating the Constitution.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    The Constitution mandates the government operate and regulate the USPS, not private businesses. But this is way above my pay scale. I'm not a Constitutional Lawyer, and neither are you. I doubt either one of us know if the USPS can be eliminated with out violating the Constitution.
    Of course it could be eliminated by Congress.... if they wanted to that is which is doubtful.

    It won't be long before the USPS is completely useless anyway. Email is much more efficient to deliver messages. They are an archaic institution.

  6. #316
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Email is much more efficient to deliver messages. They are an archaic institution.
    5 years ago I'd agree with you. But now, every morning when I read the news and see that there's another company being hacked, and when I read of the millions of people being hacked or having their identity stolen on-line. I now have my doubts that snail mail is going away anytime soon. The Internet is just too unreliable and unsecured.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    5 years ago I'd agree with you. But now, every morning when I read the news and see that there's another company being hacked, and when I read of the millions of people being hacked or having their identity stolen on-line. I now have my doubts that snail mail is going away anytime soon. The Internet is just too unreliable and unsecured.
    Yeah, you keep believing that. Every company in the world uses email to share information.

    It is easier to steal mail than it is to hack a corporation's email account.

  8. #318
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yeah, you keep believing that. Every company in the world uses email to share information.

    It is easier to steal mail than it is to hack a corporation's email account.
    The problem with your assessment is the shear volume of hacking causes many more problems then snail mail thief ever could. Anthem was hacked and millions of people's SSN, CC numbers were were stolen. Hell even 19 million non Anthem customers were hacked and lost their SSN's. Also there's seldom pertinent or relevant information in snail mail. You can steal my snail mail for months and not get my SSN or CC number. There's a a lot bigger upside in hacking a site then stealing people's snail mail.

    Obviously the Internet and email is here to stay. But it's security has become a major concern. Years ago it was mostly kids and computer nerds hacking for fun. Now you have countries spending billions to hack other countries sites and Corp. sites. It's no longer just a game to see if someone can hack a site. Now it's a weapon.

  9. #319
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    The problem with your assessment is the shear volume of hacking causes many more problems then snail mail thief ever could. Anthem was hacked and millions of people's SSN, CC numbers were were stolen. Hell even 19 million non Anthem customers were hacked and lost their SSN's. Also there's seldom pertinent or relevant information in snail mail. You can steal my snail mail for months and not get my SSN or CC number. There's a a lot bigger upside in hacking a site then stealing people's snail mail.

    Obviously the Internet and email is here to stay. But it's security has become a major concern. Years ago it was mostly kids and computer nerds hacking for fun. Now you have countries spending billions to hack other countries sites and Corp. sites. It's no longer just a game to see if someone can hack a site. Now it's a weapon.
    The Anthem hack had nothing to do with email.

  10. #320
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The Anthem hack had nothing to do with email.
    I doubt anyone knows yet how the hack happened.. Sony's hack had everything to do with email. Email's are sometimes a way in.

    Anyway the Internet has a big problem with security, and because of that, and the Constitution the USPS isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •