Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 615

Thread: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

  1. #591
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    LOL One thing is sure, even if 78% of Americans want Congress to give Obama the authorization he wanted it is NOT going to happen. The GOP Congress could care less what the people want they have a different drummer, they have for over 6 years now.

  2. #592
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL One thing is sure, even if 78% of Americans want Congress to give Obama the authorization he wanted it is NOT going to happen. The GOP Congress could care less what the people want they have a different drummer, they have for over 6 years now.
    And a good thing, too. ISIS has been trying to draw the US back into Iraq, has done all sorts of outrageous acts in order to make the American people think that the only solution to the mess they've created is to go and kill as many jihadis as possible. The trouble is, giving them what they want is likely to actually promote their cause, as has been discussed at some length already on this thread.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #593
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    And a good thing, too. ISIS has been trying to draw the US back into Iraq, has done all sorts of outrageous acts in order to make the American people think that the only solution to the mess they've created is to go and kill as many jihadis as possible. The trouble is, giving them what they want is likely to actually promote their cause, as has been discussed at some length already on this thread.
    Except that Obama does not need any more authorization to send troops to Iraq. In fact that is why the Republicans don't want to pass another one, it would limit future Presidents from engaging in unilateral war.

  4. #594
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Except that Obama does not need any more authorization to send troops to Iraq. In fact that is why the Republicans don't want to pass another one, it would limit future Presidents from engaging in unilateral war.
    and wouldn't that be a terrible thing, the Congress would have to actually step up and perform its Constitutional function and decide on a declaration of war or no declaration of war instead of simply passing the buck to the executive branch, then criticizing the CIC when things go sour.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #595
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    To the OP, why were they refused by the White House in the first place?

  6. #596
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    and wouldn't that be a terrible thing, the Congress would have to actually step up and perform its Constitutional function and decide on a declaration of war or no declaration of war instead of simply passing the buck to the executive branch, then criticizing the CIC when things go sour.
    It's the President who is Commander-In-Chief and has been acting on his own authority for several years now. Perhaps he should be negotiating with Congress on all issues, domestic and foreign, except when he truly understands he's well over his head.

  7. #597
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's the President who is Commander-In-Chief and has been acting on his own authority for several years now. Perhaps he should be negotiating with Congress on all issues, domestic and foreign, except when he truly understands he's well over his head.
    Whether he understands it or not, he's in over his head.

    And, yes, the CIC has been acting on his own authority for, well, actually for several decades now, and the results haven't been all that great. Perhaps we should go with the Constitution instead.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #598
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    We've gone through this before with the US arming the contra rebels in El Salvador. Remember also when the US was arming Saddam Hussein and Iraq in their war against Iran? We never seem to learn from our mistakes and are going to repeat them over and over.
    George Bush doesn't have the power to arm anyone, get a hold of yourself! OMFG
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #599
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    George Bush doesn't have the power to arm anyone, get a hold of yourself! OMFG
    No, thankfully, Bush no longer has the power to arm anyone.

    But, how do you know that Disneydude isn't already holding himself?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #600
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,810

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    When Iraqi tribal leaders came to D.C. looking for help against ISIL, the White House refused. Then the former president made a call.

    By MARK PERRY
    February 12, 2015
    Nothing like going back to the moron who screwed it up the first time.

    Maybe they called Bush to confirm that they still had no weapons of mass destruction.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •